• Noah Dobson
    • Barrett Hayton
    • Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Brady Tkachuk
    • Other
  3. 3. Third Choice

4. 4. Do Not Want

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 07:00 AM

16 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

It hurts my stomach a bit ... lol       i know hell be an nhler this year but it definitely makes a guy a little nervous 

damn .. i messed up in the poll ..  I chose wahlstrom as the guy I dint want but I thought I was choosing the player I liked 4th best . d'oh !!!!

I think he’ll make it for sure. I just think Chychrun, Macavoy and Sergachev will be unreal since they’ve been developing in the nhl before the age of 20. 

On 25/05/2018 at 1:10 PM, Old school nuck said:

They're all good players and we could use any of them.

As long as the one JB selects fits into our top six or four then I'm pretty happy.

Kotkaniemi, whom I'm really warming up too. Would bold well hugely for our Center depth, and also provides skill with top 6 depth, factoring in Petterson, and Bo can play center. I think he could be gone through.

For what it is worth, this is how I think the top 10 will go as of post-breakfast this morning and pre-combine:

1. Buffalo Sabres: Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda (SHL)

2. Carolina Hurricanes: Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)

3. Montreal Canadiens: Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

4. Ottawa Senators: Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas (SHL)

5. Arizona Coyotes: Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan (Big 10)

6. Detroit Red Wings: Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston Univ. (Hockey East)

7. Vancouver Canucks: Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)

The Canucks take a big, strong puck mover and arguably the draft’s best two-way defender.  He has NHL ready skills.

8. Chicago Blackhawks: Ty Smith, D, Spokane (WHL)

9. New York Rangers: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

10. Edmonton Oilers: Evan Bouchard, D, London (OHL)

@Rob_Zepp I think your first 4 are right but then I think Arizona will take Tkatchuk (son of former Coyote great, Keith Tkatchuk and they could use a big forward with Brady's skill set. Especially if they think they can get OEL re-signed)

Then I think Detroit goes with Wahlstrom. A high end offensive talent for them to continue their rebuild around. (I wouldn't rule out Hughes here for the same reason)

This leaves the Canucks with their choice between Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard out of which I hope they take Dobson. I feel like Dobsons floor is an Alex Edler; top pairing type that could potentially get to a Ryan Suter level.

From the number 6 pick to number 12 you will get a good player that is why Benning should be targeting any one of these picks. Trade anyone not named Horvat , Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Virtanen, Juolevi, for at least 2 to 3 more picks in the 6 to 12 range. This draft may be as good as or better than the 2003 Draft. Try to get Detriot's pick one of the Islander's or both and Edmonton's pick.

7 hours ago, zduck14 said:

@Rob_Zepp I think your first 4 are right but then I think Arizona will take Tkatchuk (son of former Coyote great, Keith Tkatchuk and they could use a big forward with Brady's skill set. Especially if they think they can get OEL re-signed)

Then I think Detroit goes with Wahlstrom. A high end offensive talent for them to continue their rebuild around. (I wouldn't rule out Hughes here for the same reason)

This leaves the Canucks with their choice between Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard out of which I hope they take Dobson. I feel like Dobsons floor is an Alex Edler; top pairing type that could potentially get to a Ryan Suter level.

I agree with everything you said except Dobson's floor is higher that Edler in every aspect except maybe hitting....Dobson is a much better skater already and seems to have less brain farts/minute, he can get his shot through on the PP and his "awareness" of what's about to happen is far above Edler's already.

Dobson is the real deal....

On 2018-05-08 at 5:18 PM, dpn1 said:

If Brady T falls to 7th I would take him but if he is gone I like Dobson.

I think they need someone who leans heavier on the offensive side of the game than Dobson does.  He's a good complimentary offensive dman, but not a catalyst

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I don't know who we may pick now. I'm thinking it's going to be Evan Bouchard.  Be nice to have Brady Tkachuk tho man. His brother is a jerk but Brady seems more down to earth

Even if were a bigger jerk than just bro, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for the Canucks.  They need a little of that

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they need someone who leans heavier on the offensive side of the game than Dobson does.  He's a good complimentary offensive dman, but not a catalyst

With the way the NHL is I don't think puck carriers are that vogue for defenders. Puck movers are gold though imo. Get the puck out of harms way and can hit the forwards with crisp tape to tape passes. Watching Carlson these playoffs, I gotta say giving him 7x8 doesn't sound too bad. He makes the right plays defensively, gets the puck to his forwards very cleanly, and moves the puck very well on the PP with great passes. That means I am paying a bit more attention to passing ability than straight up puck carrying. Lots of talk about how great Hughes is at skating and handling the puck but at the NHL level time and space is limited, puck moves faster than the fastest of skaters. Someone with good skating, an accurate shot and fantastic first pass are tops of my list for d-men now. Hard to deny Hughes offensive prowess though.

So many choices and only one pick. Making me anxious. Every week I flip flop from who I want. One week I am thinking Bouchard is a danger pick, the next I think he has all the makings for a perfect d-man in today's game. Same thing with Hughes, and Boqvist, and Dobson. They say you should stick with your gut and I guess that means I'll stick with the guy I been hoping for since day one. If Boqvist is there at our pick, I hope for him. No problem with any guy Benning picks though. He has proven to me that he and his staff are fantastic at evaluating talent. Gonna be a great draft I am sure.

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, this is how I think the top 10 will go as of post-breakfast this morning and pre-combine:

1. Buffalo Sabres: Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda (SHL)........................................Dahlin

2. Carolina Hurricanes: Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)...........................Svenchnikov

3. Montreal Canadiens: Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax (QMJHL).................................Zadina

4. Ottawa Senators: Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas (SHL)...........................................Calgary trades Dougie Hamilton + 2019 1st + Sam Bennett for                                                                                                                                       Ottawa's 4th OA

Calgary picks Brady Tkachuk

5. Arizona Coyotes: Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan (Big 10)....................................Hughes

6. Detroit Red Wings: Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston Univ. (Hockey East).............Wahlstrom/Dobson/Boqvist

7. Vancouver Canucks: Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)..................Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist

8. Chicago Blackhawks: Ty Smith, D, Spokane (WHL).........................................Smith/Boqvist

9. New York Rangers: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, U.S. U18 (NTDP).........................Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Boqvist

10. Edmonton Oilers: Evan Bouchard, D, London (OHL)......................................Veleno/Farabee/Kotkaniemi/Smith/Boqvist

#4......Calgary goes after Tkachuk big time and pays big time............an incredible move if he develops..........look out west! Worth the risk!

Ottawa trading with Calgary gives them a huge amount of options.....they could take the deal and sit, or they could keep Bennett and

Calgary's 2019 1st and flip Hamilton to Edmonton for their 10 OA pick

It is a thought!

#6......Detroit misses out on Tkachuk, and has to decide between a potential #1 C/RW or a #2 RD...

personally I would go with Dobson, but I am no where sure what Detroit needs most.these are the 2 BPA

#7......Vancouver takes Dobson, if he is still on the board, but takes Bouchard, if Dobson's gone.........unless JB has other plans

Jim knows more than Jan does..............can't wait to see the pick

#8......Chicago needs to rebuild the back end and takes Smith

#9.......NYR's take Bouchard if still on the table, otherwise, they grab Wahlstrom and laugh

#10.....Oilers could go after Hamilton in Ottawa, but it will cost them their 10th OA and their 2nd or just grab BPA Veleno/Farabee/Kotkaniemi ????

I think they go after Hamilton

Never will happen in a million years.........but I would love it!

* I also better make note, that I liked Zepps list and put my list beside his (mine is bolded)

Sorry Zepp, I thought I could put mine beside yours........I was lazy!

Edit..........Totally forgot Boqvist.........Fail!

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Fixed.

B)

Wow....Merkley at 10? If he matures and plays both sides of the puck............it would work in spades..........I don't think they take him though

Guttsy call Zepp.....a lot saner than my call :ph34r:

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

#4......Calgary goes after Tkachuk big time and pays big time............an incredible move if he develops..........look out west! Worth the risk!

Ottawa trading with Calgary gives them a huge amount of options.....they could take the deal and sit, or they could keep Bennett and

Calgary's 2019 1st and flip Hamilton to Edmonton for their 10 OA pick

It is a thought!

Ottawa paid at that level to get Duchesne. Think they are smart enough to sell at that level?

Woah, what a haul.  There is not that much tarnish on Hamilton. A 6'4 or 6'5'' 50 point D also drafted top 10. As was Bennett, who admittedly has a fair bit of tarnish. But is still a 21 year old NHL player with upside to his current level. And a first. 

For Tkachuk, who will be special! But probably just a 50 point NHL player like Hamilton.  Personally I would not do that if I were Calgary.

As a side note, the price Ottawa paid for Duchesne was perhaps the single most shocking obvious overpayment I can recall. Seguin, Cam Neely, Naslund, all turned seriously in favour of one team. But that was shocking from the get go.

In any case, Ottawa in this draft has the most interesting / compelling choice to make.  Often drafts drop off after 5. This year they could probably pick any of 5 players, perhaps 6? And nobody would bat an eye as to who they selected.  Many have speculated Ottawa and Edmonton, with the ten pick, could make good trade partners.  

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

With the way the NHL is I don't think puck carriers are that vogue for defenders. Puck movers are gold though imo. Get the puck out of harms way and can hit the forwards with crisp tape to tape passes. Watching Carlson these playoffs, I gotta say giving him 7x8 doesn't sound too bad. He makes the right plays defensively, gets the puck to his forwards very cleanly, and moves the puck very well on the PP with great passes. That means I am paying a bit more attention to passing ability than straight up puck carrying. Lots of talk about how great Hughes is at skating and handling the puck but at the NHL level time and space is limited, puck moves faster than the fastest of skaters. Someone with good skating, an accurate shot and fantastic first pass are tops of my list for d-men now. Hard to deny Hughes offensive prowess though.

So many choices and only one pick. Making me anxious. Every week I flip flop from who I want. One week I am thinking Bouchard is a danger pick, the next I think he has all the makings for a perfect d-man in today's game. Same thing with Hughes, and Boqvist, and Dobson. They say you should stick with your gut and I guess that means I'll stick with the guy I been hoping for since day one. If Boqvist is there at our pick, I hope for him. No problem with any guy Benning picks though. He has proven to me that he and his staff are fantastic at evaluating talent. Gonna be a great draft I am sure.

I hope they are aggressive in pursuit of JC, add Bouchard and add Joulevi and that's quite a trio of Knights on the backend

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ottawa paid at that level to get Duchesne. Think they are smart enough to sell at that level?

Woah, what a haul.  There is not that much tarnish on Hamilton. A 6'4 or 6'5'' 50 point D also drafted top 10. As was Bennett, who admittedly has a fair bit of tarnish. But is still a 21 year old NHL player with upside to his current level. And a first. 

For Tkachuk, who will be special! But probably just a 50 point NHL player like Hamilton.  Personally I would not do that if I were Calgary.

As a side note, the price Ottawa paid for Duchesne was perhaps the single most shocking obvious overpayment I can recall. Seguin, Cam Neely, Naslund, all turned seriously in favour of one team. But that was shocking from the get go.

In any case, Ottawa in this draft has the most interesting / compelling choice to make.  Often drafts drop off after 5. This year they could probably pick any of 5 players, perhaps 6? And nobody would bat an eye as to who they selected.  Many have speculated Ottawa and Edmonton, with the ten pick, could make good trade partners.  

Hi Surfer

Just for the record, I did qualify that by saying "It would never happen in a million years"

But it would be a crazy deal

Gotta say, I would try and bend Calgary over if they came a calling at #4

I should read the Calgary post......I am sure they want him! lol

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Wow....Merkley at 10? If he matures and plays both sides of the puck............it would work in spades..........I don't think they take him though

Guttsy call Zepp.....a lot saner than my call :ph34r:

10. Edmonton Oilers: Nando Eggenberger, W, HC Davos (NLA)

Just for the record... Like many of you, I've been fip flopping a number of times over the past 3 weeks.  I haven't watched many of the youtube highlights on the prospects in this poll, but I've been reading plenty of articles from different blogs/sports media chain 'experts' and of course cdc armchair gm's!... Which means I'm more confused then when I started researching!  Here goes nothing.

1.) Hughes

2.) Tkachuk

3.) Kotkaniemi

Probably need to edit a couple more times before draft... Regardless really looking forward to it.  I didn't pick 'I don't want'.  When it comes to hockey, Benning knows a hell of a lot more than I.

Are there any of the top D potentially available to us that will be able to crack the roster next year?  It seemed like Hughes handled the WHC pretty well.  Bouchard and Dobson have the size.  I don't expect it, but I just wonder which might be projected to be quicker to the nhl?

Archived