• Noah Dobson
    • Barrett Hayton
    • Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Brady Tkachuk
    • Other
  3. 3. Third Choice

4. 4. Do Not Want

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 07:00 AM

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I can't find 1 Norris Trophy winner under 6 feet.  Hughes and Boquist are 5'10 and 5'11 respectively. Only Karlsson is 6 feet. Everyone else is 6'1 and up.  3-4 inches height leads to quite a bit more reach, better visibility, leverage, etc..  It would be interesting to know how much this factors into Bennings decision making.  Dobson and Bouchard are both 6'2.

We'll see...

So does an extra 3 feet of separation. 

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I can't find 1 Norris Trophy winner under 6 feet.  Hughes and Boquist are 5'10 and 5'11 respectively. Only Karlsson is 6 feet. Everyone else is 6'1 and up.  3-4 inches height leads to quite a bit more reach, better visibility, leverage, etc..  It would be interesting to know how much this factors into Bennings decision making.  Dobson and Bouchard are both 6'2.

We'll see...

Both guys are still young (especially Boqvist) and could still grow an inch or two to get to the 6 feet mark. With that said, we need offense from the backend regardless if they're Norris calibre. There are also thousands of players over 6 feet who have never won the Norris, so I don't think it's going to come into play on who to draft.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Both guys are still young (especially Boqvist) and could still grow an inch or two to get to the 6 feet mark. With that said, we need offense from the backend regardless if they're Norris calibre. There are also thousands of players over 6 feet who have never won the Norris, so I don't think it's going to come into play on who to draft.

I agree they could grow.  I also am not suggesting we are expecting a Norris Trophy candidate.   I am just pointing out that all the top d in the history of the league have been over 6 feet and I wonder, in today's speedier younger league, how much does height matter to the Canucks draft team. 

10 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I agree they could grow.  I also am not suggesting we are expecting a Norris Trophy candidate.   I am just pointing out that all the top d in the history of the league have been over 6 feet and I wonder, in today's speedier younger league, how much does height matter to the Canucks draft team. 

Erik Karlsson was 5'-11" and 165lbs when drafted FYI ;) 

On 5/14/2018 at 12:25 AM, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah easy for you to say now.  I was on the Elias Pettersson train seemingly ALONE at last years draft.  People were choked we took him over Glass.

Now we have posters like you saying he should have went higher.  Ok.

sigh.... i''m not sure if you remember this, maybe not, it's fine.

last year I told you guys I had the Canucks mid term scouting report, feel free to pull up my history, it's all there.

I said there is no chance the Canucks will be picking Mittelstadt or Vilardi even if we had the 3rd 4th or 5th pick.

no one believed me. 

were in the same boat bro. 

history is there.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

sigh.... i''m not sure if you remember this, maybe not, it's fine.

last year I told you guys I had the Canucks mid term scouting report, feel free to pull up my history, it's all there.

I said there is no chance the Canucks will be picking Mittelstadt or Vilardi even if we had the 3rd 4th or 5th pick.

no one believed me. 

were in the same boat bro. 

history is there.

I don't recall... what was their top-5?

if you don't look at their short comings, all the players that could be the 7th over-all pick, give our team, something we need,

tkackuk...tough power forward, good at board battles and driving to the net.

wahlstrom... an elite, boeser type shooter and scorers,

kotkaniemi... a great passing playmaking centre.

hughes, ..a great skating puck moving d-man

boqvist... great skating, hard shooting offensive d-man

bouchard... strong defensive, good offensive d-man

dobson... an all around d-man 

any of the forwards would help solidify our front end for years to come.

any of the d-men would be a start in building an nhl defense corp.

anyone would be great. 

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Whats wrong with Bouchard?

Just looking at the polls above, and he is the runner up in the Don't Want section.

Any of the 4 top D behind Dahlin would be fine:  Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson.....not getting this

Somebody started a rumour that his skating is questionable and it stuck.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if you don't look at their short comings, all the players that could be the 7th over-all pick, give our team, something we need,

tkackuk...tough power forward, good at board battles and driving to the net.

wahlstrom... an elite, boeser type shooter and scorers,

kotkaniemi... a great passing playmaking centre.

hughes, ..a great skating puck moving d-man

boqvist... great skating, hard shooting offensive d-man

bouchard... strong 'ok' defensive, good offensive d-man

dobson... an all around d-man 

any of the forwards would help solidify our front end for years to come.

any of the d-men would be a start in building an nhl defense corp.

anyone would be great. 

FTFY

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

His skating is 'good'. There are other players likely available there that have elite skating. Preferring one of the guys that have elite skating is not the same as people coming to 'derp' conclusions about Bouchard's skating.

After learning more about Tkachuk, I've decided I don't want him. I've read reports that he's even more toxic than his brother Matthew. My new list as of May 22:

I'm picking:

1. Boqvist

2. Bouchard

3. Dobson

Don't want: Tkachuk

I still think Boqvist will probably be gone. In the end, I'm happy with anyone ranked all the way up to #9, but I would prefer to avoid Tkachuk.

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I still laugh at the Bo can’t skate comments. I remember Stan Smyl taking power skating at FOUR RINKS, back in the day. He turned out pretty good, eh?

35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

After learning more about Tkachuk, I've decided I don't want him. I've read reports that he's even more toxic than his brother Matthew. My new list as of May 22:

I'm picking:

1. Boqvist

2. Bouchard

3. Dobson

Don't want: Tkachuk

I still think Boqvist will probably be gone. In the end, I'm happy with anyone ranked all the way up to #9, but I would prefer to avoid Tkachuk.

Is this from an article or is it purely a rumour from the outside?

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I still laugh at the Bo can’t skate comments. I remember Stan Smyl taking power skating at FOUR RINKS, back in the day. He turned out pretty good, eh?

I remember Stan flying down the right side and letting loose a slapper that tenders could not stop!.  

I’d have a hard time passing on Brady Tkachuk if he’s on the board at 7.

I understand the hesitation due to his family name and the well-earned reputation for douchebaggery that the Tkachuk clan enjoys. As well as the stories of young Matt and Brady basically cagefighting in Keith’s basement. Plenty of examples that make Brady’s childhood experiences sound like they were designed to bring out any latent sociopathic tendencies this kid might have.

But I’ve also read plenty of stories about Brady being a great teammate and leader.

He’s been tapped a few time to wear captaincy/alternate letters. Coaches don’t generally stick a letter on a “toxic” player.

And for what it’s worth, the kid in this video seems legitimately courteous and thoughtful in taking it upon himself to thank every worker for their efforts:

I know it’s just one video. But a “toxic” player of questionable character doesn’t bother with this kind of stuff. Those guys just wouldn’t care.

Brady seems to really care about making these folks feel appreciated and important. It’s just a snapshot of who he is, but it’s one that makes me think the kid has actually some good personality traits.

I mean, I get that he plays like an A-hole. But I think good teams need a few A-holes.

Ours especially. The Canucks’ A-hole factor is close to zero right now. And at the very least, Brady Tkachuk gives us a big, middle-six level talent (at minimum) who provides a huge A-hole factor to our group. 

And yeah, I just wrote A-hole 4 times (actually 5 now). 

I just feel like if this kid’s available, you don’t pass on him unless maybe a guy like Hughes is somehow still on the board.

Tkachuk seems readymade to provide a whole heaping helping of on-ice douchebaggery (which I think we really need), while bringing enough skill to lock down a top-6 spot on the left side of either Horvat or Pettersson (if he plays centre).

And we really need some size, toughness, abrasiveness, and meanness inserted into our future roster. Especially players with enough talent to actually play alongside some of our skilled guys.

I’d draft Tkachuk (if on the board at 7), and then look to trade Baer for a pick. Brady could quite likely step in immediately (there’ve been plenty of indications he’s ready and willing to leave college and go NHL) and replace Baertschi’s spot in the lineup as soon as next season.

And Baer should hold the same or better (I’d argue better) value to what we paid for him. So an early second or maybe a late first seems quite reasonable, if there’s interest.

So yeah, much as it makes me feel a little dirty to say it, we should draft Tkachuk (if available).

And then pick two of the top remaining Ds with our second and the pick from a Baer trade.

Archived