The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, rekker said:

They will be in the cellar for years and years. Even picks for those players will not likely be top five picks. Even top ten. They have no first this year. About to lose a franchise Norris dman. Unless they have some incredible, incredible luck drafting they are toast. 

Ott is fast becoming a tire fire. They have to get things sorted. Hard to do when the owner is a huge part of the problem. 

And people here think Aqua is s bad owner. He is or was a slumlord, but he has been good the the nucks. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Do any of you know what kind of prospect Luke Hughes (14 years old) is?  The youngest Hughes brother.

If anyone does I'd be very worried and would suggest those people be put on a list. Do people follow kids that young? I feel like a weirdo tracking the progression of 17/18 year olds.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If anyone does I'd be very worried and would suggest those people be put on a list. Do people follow kids that young? I feel like a weirdo tracking the progression of 17/18 year olds.

Best bet is Pierre McGuire.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Do you really? I mean, more power to you. I am sure there are other people that do, I just feel weird doing it. Lol. 

I don’t know a tonne about Luke Hughes. And probably wouldn’t know anything about him if he had a different last name.

But I’ve watched a couple video clips of him on the ice and also read/heard a few things here and there. Luke’s usually described as playing a very similar style to Quinn. And I’ve seen it a couple times suggested that Luke may be the best skater in his family, which would really be saying something. He also may end up the tallest of the three brothers, as I think Luke is about Quinn’s height right now and he’s taller than Jack was at 14. 

He’s also already been recruited to Michigan, which is pretty young for a college commit, although I suspect his last name also played a role there.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

They will be in the cellar for years and years. Even picks for those players will not likely be top five picks. Even top ten. They have no first this year. About to lose a franchise Norris dman. Unless they have some incredible, incredible luck drafting they are toast. 

And like the Oilers, are bleeding assets for poor returns, resulting in an ever-shallowing roster.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t know a tonne about Luke Hughes. And probably wouldn’t know anything about him if he had a different last name.

But I’ve watched a couple video clips of him on the ice and also read/heard a few things here and there. Luke’s usually described as playing a very similar style to Quinn. And I’ve seen it a couple times suggested that Luke may be the best skater in his family, which would really be saying something. He also may end up the tallest of the three brothers, as I think Luke is about Quinn’s height right now and he’s taller than Jack was at 14. 

He’s also already been recruited to Michigan, which is pretty young for a college commit, although I suspect his last name also played a role there.

I see, being the better skater is quite the claim. Since Quinn Hughes is already a fantastic skater himself. Interesting to see how the youngest brother does.

43 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I see, being the better skater is quite the claim. Since Quinn Hughes is already a fantastic skater himself. Interesting to see how the youngest brother does.

Definitely one to watch in the coming years. If he actually panned out as a bigger, better skating version of Quinn, then he might arguably prove to be the most valuable player of the three, which would be pretty amazing, given how good Quinn is, and Jack looking like he’ll be even better.

That said, there was a point in time when some people talked about a young Jared possibly being the best of the Staal brothers. And PK once said that Jordan had the most skill of the Subbans. Sometimes the youngest member of a hockey family gets talked up early as potentially being even better than his brothers and then just never lives up to the hype.

Not that anyone is really hyping Luke as the “next great” player from the Hughes clan. Some people are saying he looks like he’ll be a pretty good player, and there’s been some talk about his skating being something really special, but nobody’s suggesting he’s an early pick for 1st overal in 2021 (or that he’s even really in the discussion yet as a top prospect).

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That said, there was a point in time when some people talked about a young Jared possibly being the best of the Staal brothers. And PK once said that Jordan had the most skill of the Subbans. Sometimes the youngest member of a hockey family gets talked up early as potentially being even better than his brothers and then just never lives up to the hype.

Pettersson is a definite exception, but it seems that the oldest brother more often ends up being the best player.  Even thinking way back to Gretzky, Fedorov, Kariya, etc.

• Upvote 1

Younger brothers are often better aswell 

Mario was better than Alain Lemieux

Dan was better than Sylvain Cloutier

Chris was better than Ted Drury

Dougie is better than Freddie Hamilton

John is better than Carl Klingberg

Mark was better than Pail Messier

Milan was better than Zbynek Michalek

Dominic was better than Steve Moore

Ryan is way better than Cal O’Reilly

Denis was better than Jean Potvin

Chris was better than Sean Pronger

Sam is better than Griffin Rienhart

Alex is better than Igor Radulov

Nick is better than Brett Ritchie

Nick is better than Jordan Schmaltz
Peter is better than Marian Stastny

Paul is better than Yan Stastny

and that’s just the older brothers that played in the nhl. Sedins had older brother and obviously were much than them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, qwijibo said:

All players are paid in American funds. Regardless of where the team is located. 

I don't think that's true ...but even if it is...the Canadian teams players would still have to exchange that for Canadian dollars and they would still be taxed at the Canadian rate...some states don't even have a tax on income...

So the player's playing in the US do tend to take home more money...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I don't think that's true ...but even if it is...the Canadian teams players would still have to exchange that for Canadian dollars and they would still be taxed at the Canadian rate...some states don't even have a tax on income...

So the player's playing in the US do tend to take home more money...

Strictly speaking they’re paid in Canadian dollars but it is adjusted by the exchange rate to match U.S. funds.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Younger brothers are often better aswell 

Mario was better than Alain Lemieux

Dan was better than Sylvain Cloutier

Chris was better than Ted Drury

Dougie is better than Freddie Hamilton

John is better than Carl Klingberg

Mark was better than Pail Messier

Milan was better than Zbynek Michalek

Dominic was better than Steve Moore

Ryan is way better than Cal O’Reilly

Denis was better than Jean Potvin

Chris was better than Sean Pronger

Sam is better than Griffin Rienhart

Alex is better than Igor Radulov

Nick is better than Brett Ritchie

Nick is better than Jordan Schmaltz
Peter is better than Marian Stastny

Paul is better than Yan Stastny

and that’s just the older brothers that played in the nhl. Sedins had older brother and obviously were much than them. 

The Canucks alone have had Jordan Subban, Sean Pronger, and Fedor Fedorov...  :(

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely one to watch in the coming years. If he actually panned out as a bigger, better skating version of Quinn, then he might arguably prove to be the most valuable player of the three, which would be pretty amazing, given how good Quinn is, and Jack looking like he’ll be even better.

Not that anyone is really hyping Luke as the “next great” player from the Hughes clan. Some people are saying he looks like he’ll be a pretty good player, and there’s been some talk about his skating being something really special, but nobody’s suggesting he’s an early pick for 1st overal in 2021 (or that he’s even really in the discussion yet as a top prospect).

Yeah I imagine most people aren't hyping up too many kids for the 2022 draft just yet. :P Would be pretty neat to get all 3 Hughes brothers though.