The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Lol hfboards now trying to sell a story they he makes bad decisions with the puck.  Unreal

Why do you bother checking in at hfboards?hfboards is infested with a bunch of morons who's combined hockey IQ is below average! You will be so much happier if you stoped reading the stupidity on there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Having watched only the last game vs. Finland, you can see that Quinn is a step ahead of everyone at this level.  

I am mostly concerned about his tenacity on defense. He will have a tough time taking the puck away from the NHL forwards next year I think, which is okay.  Pretty much every rookie NHL defenseman does when they come into the league. 

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He has on a few occasions tried to do too much himself and has turned the puck over, many resulting in chances against and even a goal in one instance.  His coach uses him in a pure offensive role, all offensive zone starts.  Nothing wrong with saying that, albeit I'm not sure of the context of the HF  quote and I really don't care

Basically everything else he does is elite.  Once he puts on 15 pounds or so his shot will become a weapon from the point as well and he will be that much more dangerous.  The kid looks good and I am glad he is avoiding Canada in the Quarters

This is a lie that is being spread by that HFBoards poster. I've been carefully watching Quinn during Team USA's games and he has gotten multiple defensive zone starts in every game he's played. Not to say he isn't being used in an offensive role, but the coaching staff trusts him enough to start him in his own zone.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 4

I watched Hughes play against Finland. Sorry for the late post again.

I think Hughes was a lot more restrained and disciplined in this game. He didn't skate the puck end to end much at all and made a lot more outlet passes to his forwards. He wasn't much of a rover this game and played his position more effectively. He was still stepping around forecheckers easily and displaying his skating and edgework, he just wasn't nearly as extravagant as he was against Sweden. To me, it seems like the coaching staff really wanted him to change his style and he has. They didn't need Hughes doing everything to beat the Finns and the pretty much the whole team had their way against them, whereas against Sweden it took the entire five man unit to effectively break out of their zone. Maybe he was just saving his energy for the quarterfinals, I can't say for sure. He started holding on to the puck more in the last 8ish minutes of the game after the Finns looked like they were packing it in. 

Overall, Hughes wasn't exactly the dynamic, game breaking offensive force that we all love to watch, but he was much more responsible and had no glaring errors in his game. The effect he had on his teams possession and breakouts was all the offence they needed in this one. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Anyone watching the games knows Hughes has been great. Sure, he's trying to do a little too much sometimes. Nothing to be seriously concerned about. He's the type of player that will benefit from playing at a higher level. He'll be up against tougher competition, but having teammates that won't whiff when he sets them up all alone will rack up his point total.  He is going to absolutely feast in the NHL.

Anyone can already see that there is one thing he can do better than any of our existing defencemen - get the damn puck out of our zone and deliver it to a teammates stick.

30 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I watched Hughes play against Finland. Sorry for the late post again.

I think Hughes was a lot more restrained and disciplined in this game. He didn't skate the puck end to end much at all and made a lot more outlet passes to his forwards. He wasn't much of a rover this game and played his position more effectively. He was still stepping around forecheckers easily and displaying his skating and edgework, he just wasn't nearly as extravagant as he was against Sweden. To me, it seems like the coaching staff really wanted him to change his style and he has. They didn't need Hughes doing everything to beat the Finns and the pretty much the whole team had their way against them, whereas against Sweden it took the entire five man unit to effectively break out of their zone. Maybe he was just saving his energy for the quarterfinals, I can't say for sure. He started holding on to the puck more in the last 8ish minutes of the game after the Finns looked like they were packing it in. 

Overall, Hughes wasn't exactly the dynamic, game breaking offensive force that we all love to watch, but he was much more responsible and had no glaring errors in his game. The effect he had on his teams possession and breakouts was all the offence they needed in this one. 

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Anyone can already see that there is one thing he can do better than any of our existing defencemen - get the damn puck out of our zone and deliver it to a teammates stick.

The word "dominate"has been used quite a lot about Hughes. And in the NCAA he can dominate in the sense that he probably has the puck on his stick more than any other player in any given game. His outstanding skating in obvious and he handles the puck well -- stickhandling, passing, and receiving passes. The effect of all this is that his numbers on controlled zone exits and number of zone exits are outstanding.

However, despite usually being the most visible guy on the ice, his scoring rate, while good, is not as high as we might expect. And there is the concern that, in the NHL, where there are other great skaters and a lot of guys who will take the body instead of playing the puck, things will be a lot tougher. And, let's face it, he does not have a great shot. And obviously he won't be contributing much to the physical game at the NHL level. 

Putting this stuff together, I think that the most likely outcome will be like the description given by @Horvat is a Boss above for the Finland game. Hughes' greatest value will be in zone exits. With his speed and dexterity on skates, he can retrieve pucks quickly, avoid the forecheck and skate the puck out of trouble or make a good outlet pass. That is not easy to do. Tanev is the best outlet passer on the team at present but the D as whole struggles on this dimension. So I see that as a big contribution. If can he can also play effectively on the PP and score at the rate of 0.4 to 0.5 PPG (or more) I think that would be a very good outcome and make him the most valuable D on the team.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The word "dominate"has been used quite a lot about Hughes. And in the NCAA he can dominate in the sense that he probably has the puck on his stick more than any other player in any given game. His outstanding skating in obvious and he handles the puck well -- stickhandling, passing, and receiving passes. The effect of all this is that his numbers on controlled zone exits and number of zone exits are outstanding.

However, despite usually being the most visible guy on the ice, his scoring rate, while good, is not as high as we might expect. And there is the concern that, in the NHL, where there are other great skaters and a lot of guys who will take the body instead of playing the puck, things will be a lot tougher. And, let's face it, he does not have a great shot. And obviously he won't be contributing much to the physical game at the NHL level. 

Putting this stuff together, I think that the most likely outcome will be like the description given by @Horvat is a Boss above for the Finland game. Hughes' greatest value will be in zone exits. With his speed and dexterity on skates, he can retrieve pucks quickly, avoid the forecheck and skate the puck out of trouble or make a good outlet pass. That is not easy to do. Tanev is the best outlet passer on the team at present but the D as whole struggles on this dimension. So I see that as a big contribution. If can he can also play effectively on the PP and score at the rate of 0.4 to 0.5 PPG (or more) I think that would be a very good outcome and make him the most valuable D on the team.  

I agree with most of your assessment.  Of course, this is his first year in college and he is a prominent defenceman on an elite team.  His skating and puck control at speed and while maneuvering stands out.  He is a very elusive guy.  He has tamed his game because the stakes are high and the competition stiff, but I think he'll revert to discovering what he can do when he returns to college.  Apparently, he is also a training/gym fanatic, and that bodes well - that sure helped Rathbone.  I agree about Tanev and zone exits, but I do believe that Hughes will exceed him at getting us out of our own end - once he gains the puck.  Tanev is pretty good at wedging guys off the puck - I'm thinking that at this point Hughes will have to rely on his anticipation, vision, positioning and gaining leverage to gain pucks to start a breakout - the latter two might be more difficult for him.

I sure like the look of him and Madden, though - both pretty cerebral players, and that has been the difference that makes most NHLers over the competition.

• Upvote 1

EP was meh in the World Juniors last year so it's not like Hughes is suddenly a bust. Like EP, Hughes is much better when surrounded by good teammates who can match his caliber of play. The Americans have no stars up front (Jack Hughes is injured), so it's affecting Hughes' offensive game.

Give Quinn a plethora of skilled players like Bo, Baertschi, EP Boeser and JV to play with, and that’s when you’ll notice how great he really is. Every analyst I’ve heard speak of QH has said that he could be in the nhl today. One WJC doesn’t change that. Those posters on hdboards said the same thing about EP last year. 

34 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Give Quinn a plethora of skilled players like Bo, Baertschi, EP Boeser and JV to play with, and that’s when you’ll notice how great he really is. Every analyst I’ve heard speak of QH has said that he could be in the nhl today. One WJC doesn’t change that. Those posters on hdboards said the same thing about EP last year. 

the story sold last year was his so called awkward skating and that he "fell" a lot, and gets knocked down easily (also not true) which lead to the story that if he can't handle 19 year old kids, he will be eaten alive at the NHL  level. 

right now it's "if he's not trusted for defensive zone starts against kids he will be eaten a live at the NHL, the narrative people try to spin is absolutely hilarious. 

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I agree with most of your assessment.  Of course, this is his first year in college and he is a prominent defenceman on an elite team.  His skating and puck control at speed and while maneuvering stands out.  He is a very elusive guy.  He has tamed his game because the stakes are high and the competition stiff, but I think he'll revert to discovering what he can do when he returns to college.  Apparently, he is also a training/gym fanatic, and that bodes well - that sure helped Rathbone.  I agree about Tanev and zone exits, but I do believe that Hughes will exceed him at getting us out of our own end - once he gains the puck.  Tanev is pretty good at wedging guys off the puck - I'm thinking that at this point Hughes will have to rely on his anticipation, vision, positioning and gaining leverage to gain pucks to start a breakout - the latter two might be more difficult for him.

I sure like the look of him and Madden, though - both pretty cerebral players, and that has been the difference that makes most NHLers over the competition.

He's a sophomore, not a freshman

3 hours ago, Darkstar said:

EP was meh in the World Juniors last year so it's not like Hughes is suddenly a bust. Like EP, Hughes is much better when surrounded by good teammates who can match his caliber of play. The Americans have no stars up front (Jack Hughes is injured), so it's affecting Hughes' offensive game.

Not a single person has said bust.  Don't be obtuse

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

the story sold last year was his so called awkward skating and that he "fell" a lot, and gets knocked down easily (also not true) which lead to the story that if he can't handle 19 year old kids, he will be eaten alive at the NHL  level. 

right now it's "if he's not trusted for defensive zone starts against kids he will be eaten a live at the NHL, the narrative people try to spin is absolutely hilarious. 

Pettersson actually did fall a lot though, sometimes without receiving any contact.