The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

This was definitely Hughes' "worst" game so far in the tournament. I felt like the Russians game planned for him and neutralized his speed in the neutral zone effectively. Besides the 3-4 giveaways, I was pretty impressed with his defensive game as he was a lot more engaged in board battles dishing crosschecks and tying up his check's stick when in front of the net. He still had some flawless zone entries and the US team as a whole played the trap game as soon as it was 2-1 which made you notice Hughes a lot less.

Still love the prospect and his confidence off the ice and on. It will be intriguing seeing how he develops.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I'd agree this was his worst game of the tournament. Alot of bad luck, pucks boucing over his stick, losing control, losing his balance, exc. A few poor decisions. But also made some good plays defensively & was still able to make some good plays moving the puck.

He'll have to adjust some things in his game for sure, I think JD Burke has gone a bit overboard with his last few hits (the one today + his last one where he said Hughes could step in & replace, or be better than, Edler already). I don't doubt him as a prospect, but he'll have to simply his game a bit in the NHL.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, stawns said:

hughes isn't exactly lighting the tourney on fire, offensively, against teenagers.

Just Like Elias against his peers he needs better players to play with!

6 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Just Like Elias against his peers he needs better players to play with!

EP was no good in the WJC last year. I was in Buffalo and watched him. Very disappointed. But then EP pulls off this god like performance in the NHL this year after an awesome SHL year.

Anyone thinking Q Hughes will do the same is silly. I sure hope he can but the  guys that can do that are 'generational' hence the term. Anyway, I hope QHughes does well next year in the NHL but highly doubt he will be anywhere near as impactful as EP has been.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

EP was no good in the WJC last year. I was in Buffalo and watched him. Very disappointed. But then EP pulls off this god like performance in the NHL this year after an awesome SHL year.

Anyone thinking Q Hughes will do the same is silly. I sure hope he can but the  guys that can do that are 'generational' hence the term. Anyway, I hope QHughes does well next year in the NHL but highly doubt he will be anywhere near as impactful as EP has been.

Man you need to listen to some of the quotes and scouts from they predict immediate impact player. Generational. I am saying he is also a rare player like Elias. And the Canucks are so lucky to have him! He will out point Dhalins rookie year also! As has Elias with McDavid. BTW same kind of responses from fans last summer about Elias! Its something special happening in Vancouver! Bo Elias Brock and Quinn!

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You might think?

But probably not! Not just because of who Hughes is. But what we will become.

I simply believe we become the firewagon brand of hockey that used to be the Oilers.  In Gretzky's day, not McJesus.  Guys fly up the ice, take chances. Guys like Pettersson & Brock bury a high % of chances created. Potentially we're going to add speed up front like Tampa. On their own Manukyan, Palmu might not even be NHL players? Nobody thought Johnson or Palat, even Point might be either? It works on mass in Tampa and in Pitt because of the overall level of other athletes.. Pace them at the speed of Hughes and Petey. Not to mention Motte, Jake & Madden hounding the crap out of guys defensively. Hughes will beat his man more often than not. We'll also create more turnovers than Hughes gives up... 

In coaching there is a principle of possession and pace. The more heavily you plaster an opposing team in speed and skill? Crank up the pace. Pettersson almost needs no time or space to create goals. A game that has an extra 40 possessions will lead to a lot of blowouts in our favour. Its why Justin Schultz was suddenly effective when he went to the Penguins.  

And nobody in hockey, save Karlsson and a select few others, will be able to press the pace like Hughes. 

Grip it and rip it!

Cant skate? Puck off. Go block shots for Torts and the Blue Jackets.

This. Hughes isn't a dman in the old school way. He is a rover. The modern roving dman and exactly what this team needs.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Man you need to listen to some of the quotes and scouts from they predict immediate impact player. Generational. I am saying he is also a rare player like Elias. And the Canucks are so lucky to have him! He will out point Dhalins rookie year also! As has Elias with McDavid. BTW same kind of responses from fans last summer about Elias! Its something special happening in Vancouver! Bo Elias Brock and Quinn!

I am ok with your strong homer opinions on the Canucks cory40. But you do not know what will happen in the future. Qhughes may do well in the NHL or he may not. I sure hope he does.

But your homer silly comments don't mean anything to me or most fans. He may develop very well or his game may not translate to the NHL. 

We shall see.  :lol:

During the Russia game I was impressed how he has made adjustments to be far more engaging defensively and despite his size, use his smaller body to quickly separate the opposition from the puck.  Considering that likely everyone will always be bigger than him, he will need to continue that in the NHL.

You can see though his poise with the puck on the powerplay really is unmatched.  Man watching how he cradles that puck and is able to just handle it with ease is something to admire.  Overall thought his defensive game against Russia was his best game all tournament long.  Still some areas to improve, but I am extremely optimistic seeing how his defensive game has grown.  i was pretty concerned about his defensive game overall but he has shown me he has made steady improvements in that department to not have to really worry.  I cannot wait to see him patrol our Powerplay units, it is in dire need of his soft hands and mobility. 

Thought Quinn's utilization of his teammates is still a work in progress.   There was a lot of singular breakout rushes trying to do too much by himself and when he ran out of options, and he simply elected to dump it in instead using his typical ability of finding the open man and springing him for a pass.  He takes a bit too long to make a decision and ends up either dumping it in or running out of room and gets himself into trouble turning it over.  Can't tell if its him trying to force a play that wasn't there or whether the forwards weren't reading off him well enough to be in good positions to receive a pass.   He tries to do too much by himself.  Simplifying his game and using his teammates more will allow him to limit his turnovers, and overall be more effective transitioning out of his own zone.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am ok with your strong homer opinions on the Canucks cory40. But you do not know what will happen in the future. Qhughes may do well in the NHL or he may not. I sure hope he does.

But your homer silly comments don't mean anything to me or most fans. He may develop very well or his game may not translate to the NHL. 

Come on dude.  

Take a stand as a fan.  We shall see?  Thats like screaming "could go either way, I am not sure about success, but not certain of failure, I dont know and have no certainty of being right so I won't comment outcome!!!!!!!!" 

Hughes is going to be game changing for our defence.  We have high expectations because he warrants them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Captain Obvious you are 100% correct. Nobody knows the future. Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

My only issue with Hughes is that he seems to be too focused on creating highlight reel plays, and sometimes it costs him. I'm pretty certain that's something he'll grow out of as he matures though. He's fun to watch. I haven't seen many players move that smoothly on their skates.

Thanks for posting the highlights, missed the game.  A couple of tough giveaways by Quinn, but I actually liked his defence better than his offence from those highlights.  Was well positioned and took his man when he had too.  Well aware.  His offence seemed rather blasé, but I have a feeling after watching him try to do too much after the first few games of the tourney the coach and reeled him in a bit.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

You can see though his poise with the puck on the powerplay really is unmatched.  Man watching how he cradles that puck and is able to just handle it with ease is something to admire. 

This.

Plus his outrageously dynamic skating. 

He is hard to guard. You approach him to engage a check? With his agility and control of the puck, he burns you. You don't approach, sit back? He starts hunting for seams and is fast enough to blow through them. Or simply constantly moving to create passing lanes. It is certainly fun to watch!