The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah the AHL would probably be just as good for his training and development. I think people underestimate how good of a development league the AHL actually is. 

That said, there’s a lot of advantages to staying at Michigan too. Quinn is still 18. He has friends and family in Michigan. He knows his university campus and he’s comfortable loving there. He doesn’t have to adjust to a new city and finding a place to live and how to get to the rink and creating new chemistry with teammates. He just has to focus on hockey

Those are good points about his return to Michigan.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Agree with your post, but just a fact check.........Marner has only played in the NHL.........and........it's Matthews/ Rielly ( sorry about the last petty point )

Thanks ST. It appears when writing the last para I glanced down and quoted Marner's age as his AHL appearances. Of course I didn't show any actual AHL games in the list. Not a great attempt but only excuse is suffering from a hellish cold just now. :sick:

I notice I have also failed to include Reilly's AHL playoff games which brings the total to 22.:(

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You don't know what you are talking about. Firstly there is a good core of vets in the Leafs roster (but you complain about the Canucks signing vets) secondly if you had bothered to check you would have seen that all the young players barring the No 1 and No 4 picks spent time in the AHL prior to making the NHL. Some others like Nylander spent time in the SHL and the AHL.

The 2016-17 roster that went deep in the playoffs were as follows. As you will see there is plenty of veteran and experienced mid 20s players. In the second group you can the number of AHL games played shown after the player's age.

Boyle - 32

Bozak - 30

Fehr - 31

Gardiner  - 26

Holland - 26

Hunwick - 31

Kadri - 26

Komarov - 30

Martin - 27

Marchenko - 25

Michalek - 31

Polak - 30

Smith - 28

JvR - 27

Zaitsev - 25

Brown - 23 - 110

Carrick - 22 - 192

Reilly - 22 - 14

Hyman - 24 - 72

Marner - 19

Nylander - 20 - 75

Matthews

So as I said only Mathews and Marner, very high picks made the team from the draft but Mathews spent a year in the Swiss pro league and Marner played 19 AHL games for the Marlies.

You really need to check some relevant background facts before posting wildly inaccurate accusations against the Canucks Management. Are you really a fan, I think Rob is right, more like a plastic fan.

So Mathews time in Swiss league counts pre draft, but Dahlen and Petterssons time in Sweden (better league) post draft doesn’t? Gaudette has spent several years in college as Boeser did, same as Butcher and Kerfoot, 0 ahl games played between the 3. Go down the top 50 scorers in the league last year only Brad Marchand 2 seasons and Claude Giroux 38 games have played any AHL games. Players can develop in other leagues and be ready for nhl not playing in AHL, in fact most impact players never play a single ahl game. 

Veteran argument is so weak. We have plenty of vets without the signings. If they are not good enough vets then they should be traded. Teams can and do win with 3,4 or 5 rookies as I gave several examples. Our rookies are developed already, just like the players I mentioned. By the way 2 of the players I listed are top 5 picks in draft, but Marner gets a pass because he was a top four pick? Both of which have played seasons post draft in much harder leagues against men than Marner did in junior.

Okay...the absolute best part about Quinn taking another year is that we will have a run of 3 consecutive Calder trophy top 3 finisher's....

Brock came in 2nd in voting while missing a quarter of the year...

EP is going to win it....

Quinn gets to compete with his brother for the honor...!

The only way the future looks brighter is if Quinn is competing with his brother...who is competing with EP for the being the best forward on the team....!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Okay...the absolute best part about Quinn taking another year is that we will have a run of 3 consecutive Calder trophy top 3 finisher's....

Brock came in 2nd in voting while missing a quarter of the year...

EP is going to win it....

Quinn gets to compete with his brother for the honor...!

The only way the future looks brighter is if Quinn is competing with his brother...who is competing with EP for the being the best forward on the team....!

Just imagine getting Hughes next year! Our centres would be Pettersson-Hughes-Horvat-Gaudette!

If we could trade some of our Vets for quality defensemen prospects and high picks we could be set for a very long time!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Just imagine getting Hughes next year! Our centres would be Pettersson-Hughes-Horvat-Gaudette!

If we could trade some of our Vets for quality defensemen prospects and high picks we could be set for a very long time!

That is definitely the play now...

I think the "Stecher" Oli even if he looks way better than MDZ, Pouliot or Hutton and try to trade one of them in the first month or so and Gagner, Erikkson and Gaunce should also be on the block...maybe Edler or Tanev to pull in a high draft pick and make room for Quinn by the end of the year if his college team doesn't go far into the playoffs.

2 D. must go by next year at the latest... 

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That is definitely the play now...

I think the "Stecher" Oli even if he looks way better than MDZ, Pouliot or Hutton and try to trade one of them in the first month or so and Gagner, Erikkson and Gaunce should also be on the block...maybe Edler or Tanev to pull in a high draft pick and make room for Quinn by the end of the year if his college team doesn't go far into the playoffs.

2 D. must go by next year at the latest... 

2d traded at the 2019 TDL for 2019 picks at our draft?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

2d traded at the 2019 TDL for 2019 picks at our draft?

Then trade those 2 picks plus a roster player to Colorado for Ottawa's first round pick which will probably have the best chance at picking #1 next year and if not, for sure top 6 or so...the Senator's are going to be really bad this year.

Trader Jim is in for a big year of trades...!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

So Mathews time in Swiss league counts pre draft, but Dahlen and Petterssons time in Sweden (better league) post draft doesn’t? Gaudette has spent several years in college as Boeser did, same as Butcher and Kerfoot, 0 ahl games played between the 3. Go down the top 50 scorers in the league last year only Brad Marchand 2 seasons and Claude Giroux 38 games have played any AHL games. Players can develop in other leagues and be ready for nhl not playing in AHL, in fact most impact players never play a single ahl game. 

Veteran argument is so weak. We have plenty of vets without the signings. If they are not good enough vets then they should be traded. Teams can and do win with 3,4 or 5 rookies as I gave several examples. Our rookies are developed already, just like the players I mentioned. By the way 2 of the players I listed are top 5 picks in draft, but Marner gets a pass because he was a top four pick? Both of which have played seasons post draft in much harder leagues against men than Marner did in junior.

What are you even arguing anymore? Were gonna have young guys in the lineup next year with a plethora more coming the next few years who will play when ready. EVERY stanley cup champion the last 10 years had plenty of veterans in the lineup you would probably call plugs. There not plugs however and Im sure if you met them in person you would fawn over them as you would with the canuck veterans. Either get on the bandwagon or fall off the back and pick a new team. I dont have time for you glass empty "fans" anymore. Hopefully see you at the stanley cup parade with five years time. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I don't necessarily think that Quinn signing with the Canucks would have been a poor decision.

I just happen to think that this is the better one. And if Michigan happens to be playing on an off night for the Canucks....I know what I'll be watching. :)

Plus a potential pairing between him and Wilde is going to be interesting to watch.

4 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Yeah the AHL would probably be just as good for his training and development. I think people underestimate how good of a development league the AHL actually is. 

That said, there’s a lot of advantages to staying at Michigan too. Quinn is still 18. He has friends and family in Michigan. He knows his university campus and he’s comfortable living there. He doesn’t have to adjust to a new city and finding a place to live and how to get to the rink and creating new chemistry with teammates. He just has to focus on hockey

You leave out one very important one - Universities are full of people under 22/23 years of age....with more than 1/2 of those typically being the opposite sex to young Quinn.   While I am sure there are fine good looking young women in Utica, the sheer volume of opportunity for a star hockey player wearing his varsity team jacket around campus and to events - will be like looking for do-it-yourself furniture at IKEA with only a few other shoppers allowed in and you have almost all the Allan wrenches.  

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ohmy said:

What are you even arguing anymore? Were gonna have young guys in the lineup next year with a plethora more coming the next few years who will play when ready. EVERY stanley cup champion the last 10 years had plenty of veterans in the lineup you would probably call plugs. There not plugs however and Im sure if you met them in person you would fawn over them as you would with the canuck veterans. Either get on the bandwagon or fall off the back and pick a new team. I dont have time for you glass empty "fans" anymore. Hopefully see you at the stanley cup parade with five years time. Cheers.

I don’t care if you don’t have time for me. Don’t respond. I responded to a post that said name 1 team that succeeded with a bunch of youth. I did naming 4 examples, look it up. He quoted me with a crap response about draft position and good vets and that was my counter post. I care about the Canucks, and just because you don’t agree with me about getting rookies in the lineup does not mean I need to find a new team. But you are welcome to not respond to my posts thanks!

8 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

I don’t care if you don’t have time for me. Don’t respond. I responded to a post that said name 1 team that succeeded with a bunch of youth. I did naming 4 examples, look it up. He quoted me with a crap response about draft position and good vets and that was my counter post. I care about the Canucks, and just because you don’t agree with me about getting rookies in the lineup does not mean I need to find a new team. But you are welcome to not respond to my posts thanks!

Actually the response given to you was thorough and made valid points where yours just frankly dont make sense. However I will agree with you on one thing. Why am I waisting my time responding....1st ever poster to make it on my ignore list. Congrats!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

Sure can and already have. Toronto had Mathews Marner Nylander. New Jesey had Bratt Butcher Hischier. Boston had Heinen Debrusk McAvoy. Colorado had Girardi Jost Kerfoot. All made the playoffs with 3 rookies in the lineup. But I know you think the vets that helped the Canucks finish near the bottom of the league are better. I don’t think having Pettersson Dahlin and Gaudette or even Juolevi is going to be bad for the team. If fact I think we would be better with all four than without. That is just the last 2 years. Also Colorado also had Compher, and Toronto had Brown and Zaitsev too.

You also seem to think that a team can be packed with prospects and it will do well. Of course it won't, can you name one team where that is true?

Edited by Watchincanucks

Ok Im definetly dreaming here as its so far away but if (big if) the Canucks managed to make the playoffs, would it be crazy to see Hughes slotted into the lineup? It would be a huge step but he went from college to the world championships so why not. Although keep in mind I am day drinking and a lot of things seem like a good idea at the moment.