The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt. 

Mel Pearson has been coaching college hockey for 36 years and he's still the kind of guy to get so excited about the upcoming season that he stays awake until 3am working on new ideas the night before the first practice. 

The guy just eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. Well, maybe not so much sleeps, given how late he stays up (like I'm one to talk ;)). But he's definitely one of the best coaches working in college hockey today. 

Pearson started his coaching career as an assistant at Michigan Tech (his alma mater) the year after he graduated and finished his playing career. Put in a solid six years at Michigan Tech, and then moved on to Michigan, where he served as an assistant to the legendary Red Berenson (arguably the greatest coach in the history of college hockey). 

Pearson worked under Berenson for over two decades, the latter half of which he actually served as Berenson's associate head coach. Michigan won 2 national titles, 10 conference tournament championships, 11 regular season conference titles, and had 20 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances with Pearson coaching alongside Berenson. I believe they only had two losing seasons over their 23 years together behind the bench. 

Then, Pearson went back to Michigan Tech to take a head coaching gig there. And he basically turned around their program. Pearson took Michigan Tech from what was pretty much becoming joke status (they were so bad that they hadn't had a winning season for nearly two decades and had finished with an incredibly awful 4W-30L-4T record in the season before Pearson took over) to three consecutive winning seasons and some of the best results Michigan Tech has seen in almost 40 years.

And then, just last season, Pearson returned to Michigan (which is arguably the #1 program in NCAA history), to take over as the new head coach after Red Berenson retired. Pearson took the Wolverines to the Frozen Four last season in his first year as their head coach. And this coming season, Michigan is widely considered to be one of the early favourites to win the national title.

Pretty safe to say that Hughes and Lockwood are in really good hands. :) 

Wow that incredible insight. Im not sure how you know all this but thank you for sharing it! I hope Hughes and Lockwood help Michigan win that title :) 

4 minutes ago, c00kies said:

We already have Bo Horvat :P

He is good and is going to be great. I know generational talents do not come around often however I would like a generational offensive D- man. Do you think Hughes can evolve into such a player ?

15 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

He is good and is going to be great. I know generational talents do not come around often however I would like a generational offensive D- man. Do you think Hughes can evolve into such a player ?

I do. He is incredible to watch. He is the prototypical modern offensive dman. I cant wait to see the kid on the team. On NHL Network the other day was an opposing NCAA coach. Conversation turned to NCAA talent and he simply gushed and went on and on about Hughes. I think the kid is going to be special. 

• Like 1

Just now, rekker said:

I do. He is incredible to watch. He is the prototypical modern offensive dman. I cant wait to see the kid on the team. On NHL Network the other day was an opposing NCAA coach. Conversation turned to NCAA talent and he simply gushed and went on and on about Hughes. I think the kid is going to be special. 

I hope you are right. Had high hopes for Eddy at the start of his career, as we all did, but oh well, some players pan out, some don't. Left the forum due to events in my personal life, however it is so good to be back , talking hockey and sharing the passion for our team.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I hope you are right. Had high hopes for Eddy at the start of his career, as we all did, but oh well, some players pan out, some don't. Left the forum due to events in my personal life, however it is so good to be back , talking hockey and sharing the passion for our team.

Nice to have you back. I had my time away from the forum as well and came back recently. I love hockey. Love watching, playing, coaching, talking. Great time to be a Canuck fan. I watched the Young Stars this weekend and came away totally impressed. Keeping in mind our arguably best prospect Hughes wasnt even there. I truly believe the hockey gods smiled on us the day Hughes fell into our draft slot. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We talking Edler here? To be fair, a very solid 11 years and counting career as a #2D is not exactly, not panning out.

Would him being a multi Norris winning legit #1D have been better? Sure.

Ya i agree Edler has been solid for most his career and has never made more than 5 Million a season. You cant complain too much...  

• Cheers 1