The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

yup some - in the protocol tonight, mainly due to turnovers imo. Its tougher when u face these heavier skilled teams and u gotta learn how to deal with it. Offensively hes a real force, but like mentioned he still gotta evolve in the D-zone. Loved his rush on the goal. All in all i think the team did a good game, Caps are one of the favs to winning the cup so id calll this a good game even if we lost in the shootout. 

Good to see Hughes racking up points, making a big contribution to the team and helping us win WHILE learning and making mistakes at the same time. To be fair, his mistakes haven't really cost the team and he's certainly doing more good than bad.

We rarely get rookies like this. Boeser was similar, Pettersson was much better (in that his mistakes never cost us and he was only ever a positive to the team) and now Hughes is very similarly making a major contribution while hardly detrimenting the team which is what a lot of rookie defencemen can do to your team. I think the big reason being he's playing relatively sheltered minutes, JB and Green have done a masterful job of bringing in Myers and keeping Edler to eat up big minutes and slotting Tanev alongside Hughes. He's in the perfect scenario to succeed - 2nd pairing minutes with arguably our best shutdown defenceman and top PP minutes.

Calder trophy or not, he may well score 40-50 points for us at this rate which will be scary next season considering how much better he may become defensively. When he bulks up a bit and rounds out his game he may become a real force.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good to see Hughes racking up points, making a big contribution to the team and helping us win WHILE learning and making mistakes at the same time. To be fair, his mistakes haven't really cost the team and he's certainly doing more good than bad.

We rarely get rookies like this. Boeser was similar, Pettersson was much better (in that his mistakes never cost us and he was only ever a positive to the team) and now Hughes is very similarly making a major contribution while hardly detrimenting the team which is what a lot of rookie defencemen can do to your team. I think the big reason being he's playing relatively sheltered minutes, JB and Green have done a masterful job of bringing in Myers and keeping Edler to eat up big minutes and slotting Tanev alongside Hughes. He's in the perfect scenario to succeed - 2nd pairing minutes with arguably our best shutdown defenceman and top PP minutes.

Calder trophy or not, he may well score 40-50 points for us at this rate which will be scary next season considering how much better he may become defensively. When he bulks up a bit and rounds out his game he may become a real force.

If Huggy Bear :bigblush: continues the way he has started this season id proudly give him the rookie of the year title.....

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not gonna lie, I kind of hate the nickname "Huggy", but I guess his teammates have spoken and so shall it be.

same, think it was suppose to be a joke but it stuck lol, but Tanevs nick name Q/Que is good by me.