The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Well said, Bieksa. Honestly, Quinn Hughes is probably tied with Markstrom for the team's MVP at this point. He is the kind of player we have never had before, and he makes such a difference out there in terms of what this team can do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Have any of you noticed that while on the PP that little drop pass they do through the neutral zone wasn't working very well because of poor passing over the last few years but this year it has been the exact opposite.  So often it is Quinn doing the drop pass and he actually puts the pass on the players stick taking the pass.  Just something I have noticed watching Quinn play on the PP this season.  He has made a real impact on our PP this season.  Heres to a great second half for Quinn and hopefully another Calder Cup for a Canucks rookie. :)

• Upvote 3

On 12/31/2019 at 12:19 AM, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

To further establish his value as a 200-foot, all situations kind of guy, I'd suggest looking at the below article 
https://canucksarmy.com/2019/12/31/how-quinn-hughes-is-breaking-convention-expectations-to-become-shutdown-defenceman/ 

(bit of a long read but worth it)

Also illustrates how he's been facing top quality opposition but coming out on top, and to further Juice's point he's redefining what a shutdown D looks like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

To further establish his value as a 200-foot, all situations kind of guy, I'd suggest looking at the below article 
https://canucksarmy.com/2019/12/31/how-quinn-hughes-is-breaking-convention-expectations-to-become-shutdown-defenceman/ 

(bit of a long read but worth it)

Also illustrates how he's been facing top quality opposition but coming out on top, and to further Juice's point he's redefining what a shutdown D looks like.

IDK that kind of spits in the face of actual shut down D who play against top opposition on a much more consistent basis, start majority of their time in the defenisve zone against said players to bat and start in the defensive zone against said players on the PK.

Hughes is a very dynamic offensive D but I wouldn't trust him against top players more frequently than a guy like Tanev or Edler, I would rather him get more offensive zone starts than defensive and I would rather not see him out on the PK.

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Have any of you noticed that while on the PP that little drop pass they do through the neutral zone wasn't working very well because of poor passing over the last few years but this year it has been the exact opposite.  So often it is Quinn doing the drop pass and he actually puts the pass on the players stick taking the pass.  Just something I have noticed watching Quinn play on the PP this season.  He has made a real impact on our PP this season.  Heres to a great second half for Quinn and hopefully another Calder Cup for a Canucks rookie. :)

The other thing about the drop pass working on the PP this year is that the guy that ends up getting the puck actually skates fast into the offensive zone. Either that or Quin realizes the other team is backing up hard and are giving him the zone on his own so he skates it in. 

Man....Quin is so freaking good so young lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IDK that kind of spits in the face of actual shut down D who play against top opposition on a much more consistent basis, start majority of their time in the defenisve zone against said players to bat and start in the defensive zone against said players on the PK.

Hughes is a very dynamic offensive D but I wouldn't trust him against top players more frequently than a guy like Tanev or Edler, I would rather him get more offensive zone starts than defensive and I would rather not see him out on the PK.

The thing about Quin though is that when he gets defensive zone starts is he able to actually get the puck out a lot of the time. He seems to be so good in all aspects of the game...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The thing about Quin though is that when he gets defensive zone starts is he able to actually get the puck out a lot of the time. He seems to be so good in all aspects of the game...

Then why isn't he out on PK and getting more D-zone starts?

I am a Hughes fan but I'd rather have a guy like Vlasic vs any top guy than Hughes if I was given a choice. There are good D who are night and day better defensively because they are actual high end shut-down D. That's the big thing they're good at. There's a reason why they go against top players more often and take up more defensive responsibility like the PK.

That would be like calling Karlsson a shut down D because he's pretty good at moving the puck out as well. Karlsson actually is on the PK though.

Hughes is a great PMD but we don't see him out in any defensive roles/situations and instead is more so used offensively so it is a stretch to call him a shut-down D by any means.

Shouldn't try to redefine Shut-down D using a Puck Moving Defenseman's definition. Cause you're just calling a shut-down D and puck moving one.

• Upvote 1

I am a Hughes fan but I'd rather have a guy like Vlasic vs any top guy than Hughes if I was given a choice. There are good D who are night and day better defensively because they are actual high end shut-down D. That's the big thing they're good at. There's a reason why they go against top players more often and take up more defensive responsibility like the PK.

That would be like calling Karlsson a shut down D because he's pretty good at moving the puck out as well. Karlsson actually is on the PK though.

Hughes is a great PMD but we don't see him out in any defensive roles/situations and instead is more so used offensively so it is a stretch to call him a shut-down D by any means.

Shouldn't try to redefine Shut-down D using a Puck Moving Defenseman's definition. Cause you're just calling a shut-down D and puck moving one.

The d-core is Bennings biggest challenge right now. There are good prospects coming. In 2 seasons we should have the core there.

Just now, Boudrias said:

The d-core is Bennings biggest challenge right now. There are good prospects coming. In 2 seasons we should have the core there.

Yeah we have some guys but we need another Hughes-level one IMO. Rathbone/Rafferty/Juoleiv/etc are all good ones but not great. Hopefully one of two can step up into a top 4 role.

Edler is not getting any younger and some people want to consider moving/letting go of Tanev this off-season. It'll take some time for these young defenseman to not only take up but be effective in Tanev's/Edler's role. Tanev/Edler take up a lot of responsibility and do it well. Even a guy like Tryamkin is gonna need a bit of time to adjust and adapt to the NHL if he comes back. Hughes is an exception to needing time to get good enough because he is elite which is why I hope we can draft another D like him.

If we make the playoffs this year I'd be okay with running with more young guys next season because we wouldn't have to worry about giving TBL a lotto pick. Right now though playoffs should be #1 priority.

• Upvote 3

If we did make the playoffs this year then ran with younger lineup the next one and went through growing pains that made us draft top 10 in 2021 we'd be in for a good player.

2021 is gonna be a very defense heavy draft in the 1st round with the likes of Quinn's younger brother Luke Hughes who's already taller and Button says has great puck skills and ability to perform magic with the puck.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sorry man but I have totally lost whatever narrative it is you are explaining.

You would rather have a D like Vlasic than Hughes?  Wow...ok.

By the way, we already have our own Vlasic ---> Tanev.

And Hughes is already getting over 21 minutes a night of ice time. The kid has played a grand total of 44 NHL hockey games and he is already a high level D man in terms of his skills.  He is getting even time on ice as it is.  The PK can be worked by Edler and Tanev etc.

And I am not sure where anybody in this entire board said Hughes is a shut down D.  If you think I said anything close to that you need to go re read those posts.

Edit: I re read your post...maybe it was the way you worded it that threw me off. You would rather a Vlasic against other teams top D than Quin?  Yes then, I totally agree. And we do have a Vlasic in Tanev that we use in that role.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Sorry man but I have totally lost whatever narrative it is you are explaining.

You would rather have a D like Vlasic than Hughes?  Wow...ok.

By the way, we already have our own Vlasic ---> Tanev.

And Hughes is already getting over 21 minutes a night of ice time. The kid has played a grand total of 44 NHL hockey games and he is already a high level D man in terms of his skills.  He is getting even time on ice as it is.  The PK can be worked by Edler and Tanev etc.

And I am not sure where anybody in this entire board said Hughes is a shut down D.  If you think I said anything close to that you need to go re read those posts.

If you read what I said you would realize that I never exactly said that I would rather have Vlasic over Hughes. I stated and implied that I would have out Vlasic vs a top player over Hughes. I meant given the situation they're in and maybe I should of clarified that idk.

Elaborating on this I implied in everything I said about a shutdown D being put into more of a defensive role. Match up role id put Vlasic in over Hughes any day of the week. Vlasic's Tanev on steroids. Offensive role i'd put Hughes in over Vlasic any day of the week. Hughes is a great offensive defenseman while Vlasic is a top notch defensive defenseman.

To your last point and to be completely honest I thought you were the initial guy I was responding to who I was challenging on Hughes being a all-situation guy and his article on him being a shut-down D. So I mistook you for the initial guy I was responding to, my b.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

It’s no coincidence our PP is the 4th best in the league so far this year and Quinn Hughes is running it...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I know Hughes will rack up the PP points easily but am excited to see how his defensive and physical game get better next season. He's proving you don't have to be massive to win puck battles and I hope this continues. I wonder if the Sedins have chimed in a bit because they were two of the best at puck battles along the boards using just their cores as relatively smaller guys.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:33 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know Hughes will rack up the PP points easily but am excited to see how his defensive and physical game get better next season. He's proving you don't have to be massive to win puck battles and I hope this continues. I wonder if the Sedins have chimed in a bit because they were two of the best at puck battles along the boards using just their cores as relatively smaller guys.

Speaking of his physical game, I'd rather QH stay the way he is now rather than gain weight. I think an extra 10 pounds of muscle will actually hinder his offensive game more than improve his defensive game. His defensive game is the way it is: being 180 pounds instead of 170 won't really effect whether he's able to deal with Draisaitl/McDavid or Pacioretty/Stone better, especially because much of his defensive game based on being quick. Being 180 pounds though will affect his speed, which can hinder QH both offensively and defensively. I'd be careful if I were him.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Grape said:

Speaking of his physical game, I'd rather QH stay the way he is now rather than gain weight. I think an extra 10 pounds of muscle will actually hinder his offensive game more than improve his defensive game. His defensive game is the way it is: being 180 pounds instead of 170 won't really effect whether he's able to deal with Draisaitl/McDavid or Pacioretty/Stone better, especially because much of his defensive game based on being quick. Being 180 pounds though will affect his speed, which can hinder QH both offensively and defensively. I'd be careful if I were him.

Depends. If that’s all muscle he’d be a lot more stronger and quicker. 

McDavid is 195 and skates like the wind. Mackinnon is 200. Barzal is almost 190. 

Just depends how you build your body. All those players probably have insane leg/core muscles. 

• Upvote 1

Depends. If that’s all muscle he’d be a lot more stronger and quicker. 

McDavid is 195 and skates like the wind. Mackinnon is 200. Barzal is almost 190. 

Just depends how you build your body. All those players probably have insane leg/core muscles. 

I agree, but it’s also depends on where you’re building the muscle. I don’t see him getting quicker if he’s trying to build certain areas of upper body strength. I think that’s a deviation from what’s made him elite so far.

Edited by Grape

23 minutes ago, Grape said:

I agree, but it’s also depends on where you’re building the muscle. I don’t see him getting quicker if he’s trying to build certain areas of upper body strength. I think that’s a deviation from what’s made him elite so far.

Thats why you build everything orderly in order to offset. He isn’t at his max skating ability at 170. 

if he makes his core/lower body and legs stronger he’s going to be faster than he is. A guy his height would be really effective around 180. 

Point being. Get bigger and stronger in the areas that will make you faster. As he does that he can less gradually get bigger in his upper body that way most of the weight he gains will be to become a lot faster(skating/balance) and only a bit more stronger(shooting/checking)

Quinn knows his body though and with parents like his and an NHL training staff he’ll definitely find the right method of improving his overall physical capabilities while not hindering any one of his attributes that make him great. 

• Upvote 1