The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You may be closer to the final number but I am hoping for a two year bridge @ 5.75 mil / yr. He is not subject to arbitration rights or an offer sheet so he does not have the same leverage as someone who does.

Nah, I actually was actually playing around on cap friendly and was making a trade in the interactive part and it gave me the number and years

so, I thought, well maybe............

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nah, I actually was actually playing around on cap friendly and was making a trade in the interactive part and it gave me the number and years

so, I thought, well maybe............

I am predicting 2 year deal, 1st year 6.8 million --Yr 2 --7.2 million....AVG  cap hit 7 million...

Petey 3 X 7.8  million avg cap hit... 1st yr 7.6 -- 2nd 7.8 , 3rd yr 8 million..

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am predicting 2 year deal, 1st year 6.8 million --Yr 2 --7.2 million....AVG  cap hit 7 million...

Petey 3 X 7.8  million avg cap hit... 1st yr 7.6 -- 2nd 7.8 , 3rd yr 8 million..

And we just don't sign Dickinson? We have about $15M available I think. Your predictions use up all that money leaving none for Dickinson.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, wildcam said:

I don’t think that’s counting Ferland LTIR and we also haven’t put together our roster so there’s a few contracts that will be pushed down to the minors so we should be fine if Petey and Hughes came in at 8 a piece and Dickinson 2-3 @-AJ-

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, -AJ- said:

And we just don't sign Dickinson? We have about $15M available I think. Your predictions use up all that money leaving none for Dickinson.

Have Ferlands money also... 13.3 million  and  Ferlands 3.5  = 16.8 mil

We also have 4 player on roster now making 750,000 on team cap that will be off, Bailey, Dowling, Giuseppe, Hunt = 3 million 

Go to Capfriendly.. So closer to 19 million left..

So we will have money to sign, Petey, Hughes, Dickinson.

Predict...

Petey--Cap hit  - 7.5 Million X 3 YRS

Hughes --Cap hit  - 7 million X 2 YRS

Dickinson -- Cap hit - 2.5 Million X 3 YRS

• Thanks 1

This may be an unpopular opinion, and there is a qualifier with it. 

Provided that OJ finally shows why he was drafted 1st round, AND Rathbone shows his full potential, I wouldn't mind trading Hughes before his potential bridge deal expires. I keep looking at Edmonton and Toronto as examples. They have so much cap tied up in a few players that they have very limited ability to acquire quality depth. Colorado is quickly catching them in this department; they lost a Vezina caliber goalie. 

Hughes is just not big enough to effectively play in his own zone without being overpowered several times per game. Unless his partner is as good as Shea Weber in his prime, then this will lead to several quality chances for the other team. No one...not Roy, not Brodeur, not Hasek, not Jacques Plante...can stop everything all the time. Look at the teams that are making the Finals; they all have a large D overall, and no one approaching being as small as Hughes. He can skate like the wind all he wants, have edgework that rivals Olympic skaters...but if he's bodied off the puck and kept out of the way, there's nothing he can do. 

Again, there has to be some qualifiers on trading him and I doubt that both conditions will be met. OJ would have to essentially become Edler 2.0 and Rathbone show top pairing potential.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, and there is a qualifier with it. 

Provided that OJ finally shows why he was drafted 1st round, AND Rathbone shows his full potential, I wouldn't mind trading Hughes before his potential bridge deal expires. I keep looking at Edmonton and Toronto as examples. They have so much cap tied up in a few players that they have very limited ability to acquire quality depth. Colorado is quickly catching them in this department; they lost a Vezina caliber goalie. 

Hughes is just not big enough to effectively play in his own zone without being overpowered several times per game. Unless his partner is as good as Shea Weber in his prime, then this will lead to several quality chances for the other team. No one...not Roy, not Brodeur, not Hasek, not Jacques Plante...can stop everything all the time. Look at the teams that are making the Finals; they all have a large D overall, and no one approaching being as small as Hughes. He can skate like the wind all he wants, have edgework that rivals Olympic skaters...but if he's bodied off the puck and kept out of the way, there's nothing he can do. 

Again, there has to be some qualifiers on trading him and I doubt that both conditions will be met. OJ would have to essentially become Edler 2.0 and Rathbone show top pairing potential.

That’s dumb, sorry.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That’s dumb, sorry.

If it was for a similarly talented, young right D, I'd consider it. Hughes for a 'McAvoy'? 

A future D of:

OEL, 'McAvoy'

Rathbone, Myers

Juolevi, Poolman/Hamonic

Now that said, Boston has zero reason to make this trade but if there's someone similar out there... I'd sure kick tires on it.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

If it was for a similarly talented, young right D, I'd consider it. Hughes for a 'McAvoy'? 

A future D of:

OEL, 'McAvoy'

Rathbone, Myers

Juolevi, Poolman/Hamonic

Now that said, Boston has zero reason to make this trade but if there's someone similar out there... I'd sure kick tires on it.

See above.

We’ve never had a D-man like Hughes. He’s a special talent, who will likely be a star in this league for years to come. Why can’t we just be happy with what we have?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

bKfwv6E1WzUZVSm_UOL1FTemLItfxpjmmuwlz4lS

Most talented defenseman the franchise has ever had (by a country mile). And 1 poor season (sophomore slump) under unprecedented circumstances (COVID), in which the entire team pretty much cratered…and people think, “Hmmm, maybe there’s something better”.

It’s one of the most ridiculous takes I’ve ever seen on these boards - and I’ve seen a lot.

He’s going to be playing with 3 scoring lines this year. Look out for a lot of points

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

He’s going to be playing with 3 scoring lines this year. Look out for a lot of points

Exactly.  Quinn will put up 80+ points.  How soon other teams’ fans (who fish here) choose to forget Hughes has the record for most points in the playoffs by a rookie D.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

See above.

We’ve never had a D-man like Hughes. He’s a special talent, who will likely be a star in this league for years to come. Why can’t we just be happy with what we have?

Who said I wasn't happy to have Hughes?

Look, I'm in no rush AT ALL to move him. And I'd only do so with someone like McAvoy coming back (which is unlikely to happen) but nobody is un-tradable. To suggest otherwise is silly and dishonest. 

There are scenarios where moving Hughes makes sense. There's also loads of them where it doesn't at all. Don't limit yourself or your thinking.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Who said I wasn't happy to have Hughes?

Look, I'm in no rush AT ALL to move him. And I'd only do so with someone like McAvoy coming back (which is unlikely to happen) but nobody is un-tradable. To suggest otherwise is silly and dishonest. 

There are scenarios where moving Hughes makes sense. There's also loads of them where it doesn't at all. Don't limit yourself or your thinking.

if nothing else these trade ideas are a good way to work out the value of a player. Doesn't mean you're desperate to move a guy, but its also good to know from a team building pov what a guy is worth on the market. 

people take it too seriously. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2