The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

That’s dumb, sorry.

Not dumb, just a lack of patience and understanding of the game. Hughes's strengths far out weigh his short comings. He does not lose every board battle, because he is a highly intelligent player. I watched him win at a 50% to 60% rate of success by using his wits. The problem is he does get knot down and the fans seem to remember that and think he is too small to defend. I say 80% of the time, Hughes is skating or passing the puck out of trouble. Give him more time to develop and he is skating and or passing the puck out of trouble at a 85% to 90% success rate. Think Leetch and Lidstrom both where not know as winning the board battles, because they used their smarts to rarely be put in that position. Hughes is of the same cloth as these two just smaller.  If Hughes takes on how Lidstrom defended, best use of stick work to every play the game. Lidstrom's timing with his poke check to steal the puck was a thing of beauty and his overall play. I am not posting that Hughes is going to be Lidstom, but he can learn to play defense similar to him.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Who said I wasn't happy to have Hughes?

Look, I'm in no rush AT ALL to move him. And I'd only do so with someone like McAvoy coming back (which is unlikely to happen) but nobody is un-tradable. To suggest otherwise is silly and dishonest. 

There are scenarios where moving Hughes makes sense. There's also loads of them where it doesn't at all. Don't limit yourself or your thinking.

Crosby is un-tradable change my mind. He rejects any trades

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Who said I wasn't happy to have Hughes?

Look, I'm in no rush AT ALL to move him. And I'd only do so with someone like McAvoy coming back (which is unlikely to happen) but nobody is un-tradable. To suggest otherwise is silly and dishonest. 

There are scenarios where moving Hughes makes sense. There's also loads of them where it doesn't at all. Don't limit yourself or your thinking.

When has a trade like that ever happened? The closest was probably Weber for Subban, but they were 1) older, and 2) had internal issues with the team. I can’t think of anything else even close.

Teams don’t trade players like Hughes or McAvoy. If they are lucky enough to land one, they keep him. Part of that is having a player who was drafted and brought along by your team, that hopefully builds loyalty, and may make it easier to keep him long-term.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

When has a trade like that ever happened? The closest was probably Weber for Subban, but they were 1) older, and 2) had internal issues with the team. I can’t think of anything else even close.

Teams don’t trade players like Hughes or McAvoy. If they are lucky enough to land one, they keep him. Part of that is having a player who was drafted and brought along by your team, that hopefully builds loyalty, and may make it easier to keep him long-term.

Gretzky was traded.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Gretzky was traded.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gretzky was sold.

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Even if you want to view it that way, he was traded again in '96 as a pending UFA.

Gretzky was also turned down by Burke ;)

Gretzky also resigned as coach.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Gretzky was traded.

Gretzky was traded at 27. And even then, as Alf alluded to, there were significant financial reasons for it.

Barring a total fallout with the team, how many 21 year-olds who have set NHL records have been traded?

Again, the conversation is just dumb.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

I agree, which is why I said it's highly unlikely to occur. That wasn't the discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Not putting this in proposal section as I'm not proposing that we trade Hughes. This is a completely hypothetical discussion.

#1. Let's say that Rathbone shows up and proves that he can produce at .8 or .9 of what Hughes can, while being defensively responsible.

#2. Let's say that hypothetically, New Jersey would like to consolidate all 3 Hughes brothers on the same team and build around them.

What would you say is a fair return on a trade, that would set Vancouver up as a contender for the next decade? Something where both teams would walk away happy with the transaction.

Again, not proposing or saying that we should trade Hughes, just looking at structure of the roster now and for the next few years and what we are not only going to need to pay Hughes, but Pettersson, Boeser etc, and thinking that depth often is what wins cups, not just raw talent. What do you see on NJ, as prospects and mix of picks, that would make you as fans, happy?

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not so hypothetically?

We waited 50 years for a D like Quinn Hughes. If Rathbone turns out to be another great player we will be better served having two great d!

I agree, I'm just looking at overall team balance and what would be reasonable.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree, I'm just looking at overall team balance and what would be reasonable.

The Habs won a lot of Cups with Robinson, Savard, and Lapoint playing almost all of their most important minutes.  All left shot guys.  All offensively gifted.  Then they added Languay and Engblom for depth.  Both left shot, but defensively minded.  

Having Hughes and Bone is a way to win Cups.  These are great players (Hughes is a phenom).  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Habs won a lot of Cups with Robinson, Savard, and Lapoint playing almost all of their most important minutes.  All left shot guys.  All offensively gifted.  Then they added Languay and Engblom for depth.  Both left shot, but defensively minded.  

Having Hughes and Bone is a way to win Cups.  These are great players (Hughes is a phenom).  

True, but they did that without dealing with a Salary Cap

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:48 PM, D-Money said:

Gretzky was traded at 27. And even then, as Alf alluded to, there were significant financial reasons for it.

Barring a total fallout with the team, how many 21 year-olds who have set NHL records have been traded?

Again, the conversation is just dumb.

I mean this just tells you how the organization was run (Edmonton). How the &^@# do you have financial issues when you have the best player in the known universe.