The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Woo will be on the big club next season. 

I think he will get a few games in. A lot of tier 2 prospects & fringe players definitely got impacted hard by the Covid layoff. 

Woo’s rookie season was only 28 games and he did alright with 3 goals and +7.

His second season was also cut short and he was shuffled around the lineup a lot.

This year he has been given the opportunity to settle in and get more minutes with Juulsen and looks to be progressing well over last year. This is basically his sophomore season given the last two were shortened so hopefully with more minutes and a playoff run he can start inching his way into a top pairing and getting some NHL call ups 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

People forget a few things with this kid.

#1, he's only 22

#2, since turning pro, he's had shortened seasons. 28 games first season (shortened due to Covid) 42 games last season.

Let's give him a little time to finish developing. Defense is usually longer to develop than forward, there's still lots of time.

100%!
Bieksa was 24 when he made the Canucks, look how well that turned out. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Could also look at how solid and reliable Schenn has become, late 20's, early 30's

Schenn is a different case.

Luke was drafted 5th overall.

Was always a stay at home defenceman with some upside. He jumped right into the NHL. Now the question is did the Leafs rush him and should he have spent 2-3 seasons in the minors first?

What I find kind of sad, is if we didn't trade him. He probably would have had a chance to meet or beat his previous high of 22 points. Despite Toronto's vaunted offence.

He's 0 points and -1 in 8 games in TO.

I'd love to see him back if only to help Huggy Bear reach his potential.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Woo with a goal and an assist tonight. This young man just keeps getting better. I know it’s the player that has to do it, but he does seem to have come along nicely with the new coaching staff.

He had another solid game at both ends of the rink.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Capfriendly suggests this upcoming season is his final season being exempt from waivers, so he doesn't have much time left to develop.  Hope he gets in some good performances within the next season to warrant a call-up and show that he's got what it takes to stick with the bigs.

That doesn't mean he's finished developing.

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

No, it doesn't, but I'd hate to see us put so much into developing him only to lose him on waivers.

I think a lot of us fans have PTBD. New management is a lot better at player evaluation and prediction. If they see Woo as an NHL D man then we will for sure find ways to keep him. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Schenn is a different case.

Luke was drafted 5th overall.

Was always a stay at home defenceman with some upside. He jumped right into the NHL. Now the question is did the Leafs rush him and should he have spent 2-3 seasons in the minors first?

What I find kind of sad, is if we didn't trade him. He probably would have had a chance to meet or beat his previous high of 22 points. Despite Toronto's vaunted offence.

He's 0 points and -1 in 8 games in TO.

I'd love to see him back if only to help Huggy Bear reach his potential.

Yes, but the point is, until the last few seasons, he had struggled. His game has really come together in the last few years. 

I'd love to have him back as well...

Again, my point is, defensemen can take time to develop. 22 years old is not an issue, there's still lots of time for him to settle in and become a solid RD for us.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Capfriendly suggests this upcoming season is his final season being exempt from waivers, so he doesn't have much time left to develop.  Hope he gets in some good performances within the next season to warrant a call-up and show that he's got what it takes to stick with the bigs.

There's always a chance that if we need to send him back down, that he will get claimed, but it doesn't happen as often as people think. 

In order to claim him, the team claiming has to determine that he will stick on their NHL level roster and is an upgrade on anyone else they have competing for a spot on defense. If not, they won't claim him just to waive him again to send to the AHL.

If the Canucks determine his game isn't ready, its about 10% chance that he gets claimed.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, but the point is, until the last few seasons, he had struggled. His game has really come together in the last few years. 

I'd love to have him back as well...

Again, my point is, defensemen can take time to develop. 22 years old is not an issue, there's still lots of time for him to settle in and become a solid RD for us.

I get that, especially with the rough start he had to his pro career. It's great he's doing well in Abby. Let's hope he can take the next step.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I get that, especially with the rough start he had to his pro career. It's great he's doing well in Abby. Let's hope he can take the next step.

I'm not sure, but I don't think he's missed a game this season. That would be his first of his Pro career.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that they amounted to much, but losing Gadjovich and MacEwen on waivers in one training camp meant losing players that we'd spent time and effort developing from scratch.  And even though they didn't amount to much, having that snarl on the team would've at least provided some return on the resources used in developing them.

Not that our farm team (Utica) was doing much developing from what we've seen based on their output, but still. 

It sucked to lose them, especially MacEwen who was pretty effective, but role guys like this, often come up on waivers as teams start to settle on their lineups. Every team has the same issues of, keep a guy on roster or risk losing him on waivers. All teams have to make hard choices around the end of camp.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that they amounted to much, but losing Gadjovich and MacEwen on waivers in one training camp meant losing players that we'd spent time and effort developing from scratch.  And even though they didn't amount to much, having that snarl on the team would've at least provided some return on the resources used in developing them.

Not that our farm team (Utica) was doing much developing from what we've seen based on their output, but still. 

At this point in his career, Woo is more functional, has fewer concerns and needed for the position than either of those players mentioned above.

He'll be fine.

• Cheers 1