The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don’t see a team claiming him tbh. He hasn’t played an NHL game yet. If he was a first round pick maybe a team takes a flyer but right now he isn’t worth a waiver claim there will be better guys available 

It would be a big loss after all those years of developing a 22 year old, tough as nails, right shot D to lose him on waivers. Better to find a Benning GM who will offer up a second for Woo. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It would be a big loss after all those years of developing a 22 year old, tough as nails, right shot D to lose him on waivers. Better to find a Benning GM who will offer up a second for Woo. 

We just got to hope Benning gets hired haha.

But yea it would suck to lose him for sure. You might be right - Gudbranson makes $4M per year despite being one of the worst players in the NHL because he is a big, tough, RHD. We better lock up Juulpod !

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don’t think he will but who cares? He is three years younger than Brisebois who just played 2/3 of his NHL games this year.

If Woo gets even 1 game next year I’ll happy - I’d give him three more seasons before writing him off completely although by the end of 3 seasons I would hope he has about 40 NHL games at least under his belt 

In his 1st pro year, he only had 28games due to Covid.  The following season only had 48games due to

injury, so one could say his development is a bit behind.  That adds up to less than 1 season, so in

development time, he's really just completing his 2nd season. There are many 2nd round dmen in the AHL

that take 2-3 years before they make the jump to the NHL.

I wouldn't write him off either.  He's made a lot of progress this season (stats) and has become the physical player

everyone thought he would be.  The coaching is so good in Abby that I think Woo will be parked there for

another year, unless his game take another big jump during the season.  If they bring him up, they will

have to keep him in Vancouver, so he would have to be a sure thing.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Ah, I get it your view is predicated on offensive stats. There's more to hockey than that my friend. Sadly finding defensive D'men is becoming more and more difficult for that very reason, too many scout with stats and rarely boost a defensive D'man such as Harold Sneptz et al

Nope, not at all, but good job of ignoring the question I posed in response to your statement that's he's an all situation, useful PP piece.

Yes, defensive defensemen are indeed a rare commodity, but your buddy Tyler isn't even good enough in that respect, is he? After all, he didn't get the 'chaos' moniker for being a stalwart on D...

Woo's whole game seems to have taken a big step forward this season.  He has played in all situations and has excelled.  I really think he has a good chance at being that 3rd pairing guy on the right side next season.  It shows we need to have patience with our young guys; especially with defencemen. B)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Nope, not at all, but good job of ignoring the question I posed in response to your statement that's he's an all situation, useful PP piece.

Yes, defensive defensemen are indeed a rare commodity, but your buddy Tyler isn't even good enough in that respect, is he? After all, he didn't get the 'chaos' moniker for being a stalwart on D...

He got the name chaos moniker from the sheep who follow faithfully along any welll worn track loking for acceptance LOL

17 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Myers was always considered more of an offensive dman.  Imo, the best part of his game is how he pushes

the opponents away from the net.  This a very important duty and the only dman that can do it effectively.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Myers was always considered more of an offensive dman.  Imo, the best part of his game is how he pushes

the opponents away from the net.  This a very important duty and the only dman that can do it effectively.

Problem is that Myers allowed a much smaller Tyler Johnson to knock him around in the Chicago game. Things like that have happened much too often.

2 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Problem is that Myers allowed a much smaller Tyler Johnson to knock him around in the Chicago game. Things like that have happened much too often.

Didn't see that one, but he sure did a good job on the Flames.

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Myers was good as a big offensive 3rd pairing in a big Winnipeg team. Here he is a miscast and his defence has become a total liability. His offence is waning as well. Can't wait until we can move on.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Myers was good as a big offensive 3rd pairing in a big Winnipeg team. Here he is a miscast and his defence has become a total liability. His offence is waning as well. Can't wait until we can move on.

I think he goes at the TDL.  Hopefully the Canucks will bring a dman that can handle the battle in front

of the net by then.  The d is rather small on our team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I think he goes at the TDL.  Hopefully the Canucks will bring a dman that can handle the battle in front

of the net by then.  The d is rather small on our team.

Yeah I agree the complexion of our defence moving forward almost needs some size added. A right-handed K'Andre Miller sure would be nice. He may go at the deadline or we may ride it out. Depends how the season goes. Ideally we're in the playoffs and swap Myers for an upgrade.

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree the complexion of our defence moving forward almost needs some size added. A right-handed K'Andre Miller sure would be nice. He may go at the deadline or we may ride it out. Depends how the season goes. Ideally we're in the playoffs and swap Myers for an upgrade.

Or just bite the bullet and bring Schenn back. Dakota Joshua can step up to fight in a pinch but that's not his game. I don't want JT being the only guy holding the other team accountable. 

Jett Woo is trending towards getting some NHL callup games next year. Him and McWard will be nice prospects on the right side to bring some size. 

Maybe @mll can answer this one, but how many games would Jett Woo have to play to become waiver eligible? 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Or just bite the bullet and bring Schenn back. Dakota Joshua can step up to fight in a pinch but that's not his game. I don't want JT being the only guy holding the other team accountable. 

Jett Woo is trending towards getting some NHL callup games next year. Him and McWard will be nice prospects on the right side to bring some size. 

Maybe @mll can answer this one, but how many games would Jett Woo have to play to become waiver eligible? 

I think Woo is eligible right off the bat. Regarding Schenn I think he may be an alright bench option but a team looking to compete can't be dressing him game in game out imo. He's too slow. I'd personally rather move on and have a tough hitter than a fighter. There is barely any fighting in hockey. It no longer provides much value. McWard is a nice prospect for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

From capfriendly:
image.png.7b36bfbdd05b82fe65dded52775fe7e0.png

So as @Gawdzukes pointed out, he'd be waivers eligible in the coming pre-season, since per capfriendly he'd have completed his 4 seasons of pro at the end of this season.

It's weird that 2019-20 counts as he only played in the WHL that year.  

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The "4 seasons of pro" was my assumption (and is a wrong one, apparently).  Looking closer at the conditions for waivers exemption, he signed at age 19 so he has 4 seasons of waiver exemption, but the first season (the 19/20 season) was a contract slide year, which affects his contract status but I presume doesn't impact his waivers exemption status.

We need the forum's lawyer @mll to give us the final ruling on this one. 

Really hoping that we get one more year of having the freedom to call him up and send him down without requiring waivers in 2023-24. 

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sorry, I know it's just a matter of semantics, but lawyers don't make rulings; judges do.  Lawyers give advice to (and advocate for) a particular party towards a ruling.  :lol:

Hahaha okay okay, semantics police wins this one :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think Woo is eligible right off the bat. Regarding Schenn I think he may be an alright bench option but a team looking to compete can't be dressing him game in game out imo. He's too slow. I'd personally rather move on and have a tough hitter than a fighter. There is barely any fighting in hockey. It no longer provides much value. McWard is a nice prospect for us.

Fans loved Schenn for his hitting and willingness to step in for team mates. He topped that off with some offence. Your concerns about speed is well taken. I rather the Canucks invest Schenn's TOI in younger prospects who will be on the team when they contend for a Cup 2 years from now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1