The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

On 6/23/2018 at 10:01 AM, Puckster said:

2018 "Midget Draft"... am I missing something ???

or are the Nucks focused on filling the needs of Utica??

It's not the weight issue I am concerned about.... ( I played college BBall at 6'4" 150lbs) am now 270 lb couch potatoe. My ideal fighting weight was 205.

but I will admitt I had wayy more energy at 150-160.

but, hockey is a fast physical game....( Hitting & Fighting inclusive) imagine By-Fug-I'm-Ugly skating down the boards and hitting one of these draftees??? Squash!! Game over 'til concussion recovery! hard to keep head up & avoid that shoulder coming in.... What , the big guys gotta skate on their knees to avoid the head shot???

One would expect the player Safety dept. to establish a minimum height size at some point!!! ( or is a maximum height, coming down the pike??)

What on this earth am I missing here??

6'4" and 150lbs?!? How did you get to your classes without crumpling under the weight of your back pack?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

6'4" and 150lbs?!? How did you get to your classes without crumpling under the weight of your back pack?

Awesome!!!  :lol:

Tyler Madden will get heavier for sure.  Brackett said one of the reasons they chose Madden of others in that spot was Madden had more room to grow, so they saw a higher ceiling.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Kinda reminds me of Shinkaruk, his skating style, speed, and his very accurate shot. And he cellys real hard like Shinky. Shinkaruk was my favourite player when he was with us and if he progresses well like Shinkaruk did with us, he could be an intriguing player for sure.

Edited by Odd.

At 5'11 I'm not worried about his weight at all. Watch him in his draft +1 and draft +2. He's got IQ, skill, speed. As long as he gains strength (not just weight) he'll be fine. I think he'll have a body type of a Brendan Morrison but play with more grit and offensive upside. 

• Upvote 1

That video is filled with a lot of really nice moves and some rally, truly atrocious defence.  I mean just terrible.

Will be interesting to see how his skills translate into the NCAA which is a big step up.

He will gain some weight, not to concerned about that.  

How are his face-offs?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Kid has speed and dangles, and goes to the net.  Not afraid to shoot it and can make plays, too.  Looks like we got another good one, looking forward to see how he develops the next couple years as he puts on mass, gets stronger, and plays against men.

As long as he has determination to succeed he will be an NHL player. He's style of play is all we can ask for. 

On 29/06/2018 at 4:42 AM, TGokou said:

I'm not even sure I see the Shinkaruk comparable. It's been a while but I recall Shinkaruk was a perimeter player. In Madden I see a player that goes into the tough areas which is made even more impressive by the fact that he is so lightweight. Also seems to have a tremendous amount of skill around the net. It's interesting that he had such a low point total but I can definitely see the upside, similar to how Gaudette made huge strides in his D+1 and D+2. 

Totally agree with this. I struggle to see Shinkaruk there. I've been wrong  before though.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Totally agree with this. I struggle to see Shinkaruk there. I've been wrong  before though.

Shinkaruk also looked different at that first camp (where he was a standout and got a lot of us, including myself, pretty excited). I can remember many positive reactions as he seemed to show a lot of fearlessness and jam and certainly didn’t avoid contact or the tough areas. He just never quite recaptured that potential.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Shinkaruk also looked different at that first camp (where he was a standout and got a lot of us, including myself, pretty excited). I can remember many positive reactions as he seemed to show a lot of fearlessness and jam and certainly didn’t avoid contact or the tough areas. He just never quite recaptured that potential.

SID, Shink reminded me of Schroeder in that you could see he had everything needed but the "fire" just wasn't lit.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

SID, Shink reminded me of Schroeder in that you could see he had everything needed but the "fire" just wasn't lit.

I just don't understand the kids that don't have that desire to do what is necessary to make the last few steps to the NHL.  I just don't get how some of them just don't get it.  

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I think he actually had quite a bit of “fire” at that first camp. But for whatever the reason, he was never the same after that hip injury he suffered the following Fall. 

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he actually had quite a bit of “fire” at that first camp. But for whatever the reason, he was never the same after that hip injury he suffered the following Fall. 

Yes that's what I was referring to. Schroeder also looked to have a bit go "fire" in Chicago but when he got up it was like he was awestruck.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

I just don't understand the kids that don't have that desire to do what is necessary to make the last few steps to the NHL.  I just don't get how some of them just don't get it.  

That last few percent is always the hardest ;)