The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Fair enough.  

I really don’t know much about him other that what I’ve started reading today.   

150lbs is just so damn small.   

I just don’t really like small players. 

And yayyaya the league is getting smaller and faster.  Sure.   I just don’t really care.  

I prefer old school, big nasty hockey.    

So basically, you prefer to stay stuck in the mud and lose than evolve and win. Brilliant hockey mind you've got there. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

So basically, you prefer to stay stuck in the mud and lose than evolve and win. Brilliant hockey mind you've got there. 

I understand the evolution of the game, and know we need to keep up with it, but personally, I don’t want to watch a bunch of dwarfs skate around super fast.  

Hockey is a tough game and that is the kinda game I like to watch. 

You want a weak game, go watch soccer. 

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He's 18...

You do realize his playing weight won't be 150 lbs when/if he makes the NHL right?

Plenty of time for him to hit the gym at Northeastern, which has great facilities. He'll probably end up being about the same size as his dad who was 5'11" 190. John Madden was one of the best defensive forwards to play the game and a three time cup winner.

The kid will be fine.

Who give a crap what his dad played like or is built like?

this kid is built like his mom.   

40 pounds of muscle is an insane amount.  

Yeah he is only 18, but that is still a hell of a lot of weight to put on.  

Anyway, I’m not going to bash the kid I know nothing about.   

I just don’t like his frame.  

6 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Who give a crap what his dad played like or is built like?

this kid is built like his mom.   

40 pounds of muscle is an insane amount.  

Yeah he is only 18, but that is still a hell of a lot of weight to put on.  

Anyway, I’m not going to bash the kid I know nothing about.   

I just don’t like his frame.  

Well usually the size of their parents gives a good indication of what size he'll be when he's fully matured. I kind of doubt John Madden was 190 when he was drafted.

40 pounds is not that much to put on when we're talking about at least 3 years of college, and developing physically. 

People put too much emphasis on the size of these 18 year olds. Playing style is alot more important to me right now, the size and strength will come later. From all indications he plays alot like his dad, maybe even more tenacious, and his dad did alright for his size.

I see so many people propose that we should draft all these big players. What good is size if they don't even know how to use it? We've seen lots of big guys come through this organization that are big yet play a small mans game. I'd take a smaller guy that plays bigger than he is any day.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well usually the size of their parents gives a good indication of what size he'll be when he's fully matured. I kind of doubt John Madden was 190 when he was drafted.

40 pounds is not that much to put on when we're talking about at least 3 years of college, and developing physically. 

People put too much emphasis on the size of these 18 year olds. Playing style is alot more important to me right now, the size and strength will come later. From all indications he plays alot like his dad, maybe even more tenacious, and his dad did alright for his size.

I see so many people propose that we should draft all these big players. What good is size if they don't even know how to use it? We've seen lots of big guys come through this organization that are big yet play a small mans game. I'd take a smaller guy that plays bigger than he is any day.

Jim Sandlak comes to mind

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Did the feed you are all watching show Stan Bowman's face after Vancouver selected Madden?   He looked about as pissed off as any GM has looked all weekend.   Lip reading made it clear he was clearly not happy with Vancouver taking that kid.   I wonder if there was a potential trade and it didn't happen or he simply thought he had his player in the bag until Benning took him?

I'd love to see Bowmans reaction... any one have video or link.... 

I searched on YouTube no luck.....

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I will look too - it was on the video feed we were getting.   I have no idea on the original station but NBC ads were happening time to time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I re-watched the broadcast after that post but saw nothing to suggest that was the case. We may have seen different footage though.

Man I wish that people would stop looking at the scale.  I feel like I write this every year.

Power to weight ratio.  Cutting, changing direction, acceleration these are all hindered by excessive weight.

What was the problem with OJ at camp last year, he thought what he needed was to put on weight, what he needed was to get stronger.

What happened to Jake, he thought he needed to put on weight and it slowed his game, he needed to get stronger not heavier.

Gadjovich, Jake, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Tanev, Gaunce, Sutter, Guance, Edler, Gadjovich, Sauntner, Brisebois, Chatfield.... all pretty big guys.  

Palmu and Bo aren't tall but built like tanks.  Baerschi and Granlund are about the same size as most of these picks Gaudette is average sized.

Not all these smaller guys are going to make, not all of the bigger guys are going to make it but Benning has shown he has a unifying philosophy; speed kills, if he builds a team around that, these guys may work out great.

Love this pick can't wait to see him play.  Imagine the young stars this year with him and Hughes flying up the ice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I actually think this is a pretty decent comparison.  Far better than Bergeron. He will never be like Bergeron. He could be like Peca though I would be extatic if he was half the player Peca was.

I see more Jaden Schwartz in Tyler Madden.  He’s feisty, hard working, smart, and has good offensive skills.

• Upvote 1