The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

The whole “loophole” thing is kinda funny to me. First off, there’s really no loophole. Draft rights expire. So the CBA has a process for what happens when teams fail to sign their draft picks. Every player has the right to not sign an ELC, regardless of what league they play in. Of course, college players and some Europeans have more of a decision to make, as to whether or not it is in their best interest to sign with their draft team. Junior players, for the most part, don’t have any better options. But nearly every drafted player who is offered a contract will sign and turn pro. You can probably count on one hand (maybe two) the number of times a player has legitimately “held out” and refused to sign with their draft team. Many other instances, the player was dicked around by their draft team, and the relationship soured. That’s on the team as much as anything. But as far as players who truly refuse to even consider signing with the team that drafted them, the examples are few and far between.

• Thanks 2

On 5/25/2019 at 2:30 PM, Dixon Ward said:

It gets so boring reading posts from people who just want to be negative and have absolutely no basis for it.

I would think that, coming from an NHL family, he will probably know he needs to get stronger physically and will stay in school 1 or 2 years and work on that.  But the way he played at the World Juniors and in college this year, he showed he is a quality talent and he will not wait 3 more years to start getting paid.  Anything could happen.  You could blow out your knee.  You have a lottery ticket, you don't want to wait too long to cash it.

Exactly.  

We haven't lost a college prospect since Burke.  

I think Madden would like to play with Demko, Hughes, Stecher Boeser and Gaudette.  We have no issue signing college players.  

Just ask Tanev, Hutton, Teves and Brogan.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

And what was the leverage he used to force a trade when Burkie's negotiating became too obnoxious?

Im sure he can answer that because he was in on that meeting.

11 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Im sure he can answer that because he was in on that meeting.

It was a rhetorical question. The answer is obviously the threat of completing his degree, becoming a UFA and signing with the team of his choice, leaving the Canucks with nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

A good article on Madden:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-tyler-madden-following-dads-footsteps-proving-doubters-wrong/

“I had a great season and progressed a lot,” Tyler says during a break at this week’s Canucks Development Camp at the University of B.C. “I got a little bit stronger, faster, gained some weight. I kind of developed as a player and showed people what kind of player I want to be: a two-way player with some skill and the mindset to make plays.

“My whole life, people think things were handed to me. Then I was smaller than anybody else, and people thought I was too small or whatever. You’ve just got to take that (as motivation) and run with it. Just show people you’re there for a reason, you can produce and you’re better than other people.”

John Madden says he weighed 150 pounds when entered the University of Michigan in 1993, and graduated four years later at 190 pounds.

“He was also always the smallest kid growing up,” John says. “Always the smallest. He had to work extra hard on everything. Nothing was handed to him. He’d hear about it from other kids (about his dad), but now that he’s 19, he understands it.

“He doesn’t like to be told he’s not good enough or can’t achieve something. And when he reads it or hears it or someone says something to him, look out, it’s on. He has that in him all the time, no matter what it is. That’s something you can’t teach — it’s just the way he is. He really believes in himself. And he has worked really hard. Nothing has come easy to him

Interesting to know that John Madden was also 150 lbs at Tyler's age.  Per the article Tyler is up to 157 lbs.  John had no problem playing hard nosed hockey at his size, in an era where Scott Stevens' hits were legal.  Once Tyler matures to his dad's size, with better vision and skating, he could be a great middle six, versatile, do-it-all type of forward.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-tyler-madden-following-dads-footsteps-proving-doubters-wrong/

Interesting to know that John Madden was also 150 lbs at Tyler's age.  Per the article Tyler is up to 157 lbs.  John had no problem playing hard nosed hockey at his size, in an era where Scott Stevens' hits were legal.  Once Tyler matures to his dad's size, with better vision and skating, he could be a great middle six, versatile, do-it-all type of forward.

I think he gets into the 180 - 185 range, he's probably a solid 3rd line guy for us in future. Has some good upside offensively, but will disrupt the opposition attack.

19 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

157 is a small body people.....

......good thing 156 of it is heart.....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...