The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

So after seeing that World Jr. hockey championship if we won the draft lottery do we pick J. Hughes or Kaapo Kakko? 

It would be Hughes no question. Think of the marketing for Francesco. Two highly anticipated brothers, a young Swedish phenom, Brock and Bo. Not to mention if we add a UFA like stone. 

Hughes - Petey - Brock

Baertschi - Bo - Stone.

Quite the pipe dream. I would prefer Sven to be included in a package for a grittier lw, because our top 6 would be soft as butter. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

It would be Hughes no question. Think of the marketing for Francesco. Two highly anticipated brothers, a young Swedish phenom, Brock and Bo. Not to mention if we add a UFA like stone. 

Hughes - Petey - Brock

Baertschi - Bo - Stone.

Quite the pipe dream. I would prefer Sven to be included in a package for a grittier lw, because our top 6 would be soft as butter. 

I don't buy this.  They take the best player available; which will be Hughes regardless but not because of marketing.  Skill and winning hockey games sell more tickets than brothers.

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Always take BPA. Saying that, Kappo Kakko. Not based on this tournament. 

Ooo that's a tough call, I wouldn't want to miss on a Patrick Kane type player haha. Saying that, Kakko is a beast. I keep going back and forth. No mistake going either way.

14 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

So after seeing that World Jr. hockey championship if we won the draft lottery do we pick J. Hughes or Kaapo Kakko? 

I mean if Hughes is there at our pick you take him. Elite player and you don't want to piss off your franchise defensemen.

Dahlen-Petey-Boeser

Hughes-Horvat-Virtanen

Gadj-Gaudette-Lind

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-_____

Hutton-Stecher

Rathbone-Chatfield

16 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I would personally prefer Kakko. A big winger to play with either EP or Bo.

I don't think the Canucks need anymore tiny guys unless they are head and shoulders better than the next choice. And in this case, by the end of the season, Jack may very well not be head and shoulders better as a pick than Kakko. Some now say Kakko should go number one.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dura_mater said:

I don't buy this.  They take the best player available; which will be Hughes regardless but not because of marketing.  Skill and winning hockey games sell more tickets than brothers.

My point was, even if they were close in comparison. I think we would take Hughes. Hughes is the better player. Although Kaako looks ready now with his frame, shot and hockey iq. Hughes can play the game at a pace not many defenders are able to match. 

This team still needs help at both forward and defence. There’s no way to determine who pans out. For all we know Juolevi, Rathbone and Chatfield could all turn out to be great and we drafted per position and left the better guy on the table for another team. I hope especially in the first round we take BPA regardless of if its a forward or a dman.

• Upvote 1

I really don’t think you can go wrong with either Hughes or Kakko.

i personally think Kakko is the better overall player by a very small margin who has the physical tools and skill set that would mesh perfectly with our group. Hughes creativity, IQ and skill is off the chart though and that with Pettersson, Boeser and Quinn Hughes would be very tantalizing. Also the Hughes family connection to the club could influence the decision.

But who are we kidding we won’t be getting either of them anyways boys and girls.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I really don’t think you can go wrong with either Hughes or Kakko.

i personally think Kakko is the better overall player by a very small margin who has the physical tools and skill set that would mesh perfectly with our group. Hughes creativity, IQ and skill is off the chart though and that with Pettersson, Boeser and Quinn Hughes would be very tantalizing. Also the Hughes family connection to the club could influence the decision.

But who are we kidding we won’t be getting either of them anyways boys and girls.

haha your probably right. But its all down to luck now so ya never know! Would be great to see Benning make another trade for a lottery pick. Someone who might miss the playoffs, but are right on the edge now. Like Edmonton, Buffalo, Anaheim or Minnesota.

Edler is a valuable trade chip and should fetch a 1st+high end prospect. Sutter should fetch a 1st. 

At the deadline a trade of

Edler + Sutter(25% retained) + Goldy (Cap hit about 9M)

for

Puljujarvi + 1st + Sekera + Spooner + Bouchard  (Cap about $10M)

Sekera and Spooner are cap dumps which would equal a high end prospect. Sutter and Edler should fetch a couple 1sts so this seems pretty fair to me. 

GM's also love overpaying at the TDL and Chia likes overpaying all the time so seems like a good fit.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

This team still needs help at both forward and defence. There’s no way to determine who pans out. For all we know Juolevi, Rathbone and Chatfield could all turn out to be great and we drafted per position and left the better guy on the table for another team. I hope especially in the first round we take BPA regardless of if its a forward or a dman.

Exactly....this team still has far too many holes in the roster to be a legitimate contender. The left side is a disaster, as is the defense, especially RHD, the bottom six is looking good as well as the elite scoring but there is a way to go still.

Also, the Canucks will surely be picking in the 5-15 range so these are the guys we need to talk about. 

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha your probably right. But its all down to luck now so ya never know! Would be great to see Benning make another trade for a lottery pick. Someone who might miss the playoffs, but are right on the edge now. Like Edmonton, Buffalo, Anaheim or Minnesota.

Edler is a valuable trade chip and should fetch a 1st+high end prospect. Sutter should fetch a 1st. 

At the deadline a trade of

Edler + Sutter(25% retained) + Goldy (Cap hit about 9M)

for

Puljujarvi + 1st + Sekera + Spooner + Bouchard  (Cap about $10M)

Sekera and Spooner are cap dumps which would equal a high end prospect. Sutter and Edler should fetch a couple 1sts so this seems pretty fair to me. 

GM's also love overpaying at the TDL and Chia likes overpaying all the time so seems like a good fit.

True would be nice to have some more pinballs aka statistical number combos for the lotto

That’s a really big tease for div rivals I just don’t see edm trading 3 first rounders to us. Bouchard a 1st and pool party is a lot. Let alone edler waiving to go to a disappointing non cup contender / div  rival. 

I think think we will be extending edler  not trading him but never know  

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

True would be nice to have some more pinballs aka statistical number combos for the lotto

That’s a really big tease for div rivals I just don’t see edm trading 3 first rounders to us. Bouchard a 1st and pool party is a lot. Let alone edler waiving to go to a disappointing non cup contender / div  rival. 

I think think we will be extending edler  not trading him but never know  

Ya the idea was that JP is massively underperforming and its a fairly large cap dump of Spooner+Sekera.

I think we need to trade Edler. The assets he would bring in this deadline would be great and we would hopefully resign him in the offseason.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I think they would be sellers regardless if he was out or not as I just don't see MDZ in their future plans. Not sure if they will make any other moves though as at one time I thought they might move another D man as well but given the dearth of long term injuries to defensive prospects down in Utica;  that is now, IMO, unlikely

What value do you think MDZ is worth now? I was hoping at the beginning of the season if he had a bounce back year, he could fetch a 3rd maaaaybe a 2nd. But with him in the press box all the time I don’t think we could get a 5th for him and probably a 6-7th. I hope I’m wrong but he’s been a guy I’ve written off since we signed him and had pick bait all over on his DJ face. We have done well getting later round picks, now the hard part with what we have. Hope Eddy understands he helps the team by going for a few months. With Beagle and Gaudette on the team, Sutter is more expendable then being a foundational player. Very interesting coming months for this team, playoff bubble team or not.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya the idea was that JP is massively underperforming and its a fairly large cap dump of Spooner+Sekera.

I think we need to trade Edler. The assets he would bring in this deadline would be great and we would hopefully resign him in the offseason.

Edler won't waive even if the team will not resign him apparently.  I think that was said on HNIC. Kypper said it.

Edited by Screw

2 minutes ago, Screw said:

I would go full dump at TDL because:

Sutter's spot filled by Guadette

3 potential d spots filled next year by OJ, QH and Tryamkin possibly. 

Oj essentially needs to take a full year off and you wanna throw him right into the NHL lol. Terrible choice. Tryamkin probably won't be back...Hughes will be here tho. 

• Upvote 1