The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Really I think lavoie skating is his weakness!? Unless I just have watched games where he hasn’t exhibited skating as a strength strange 

In the prospects game I thought he moved really well. Skating & speed looked like a strength. Then against Charlottetown I didn't think he moved quite as good. Not totally sure if I'd say he's a great skater but I'd say its more of a strength than a weakness. 

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

In the prospects game I thought he moved really well. Skating & speed looked like a strength. Then against Charlottetown I didn't think he moved quite as good. Not totally sure if I'd say he's a great skater but I'd say its more of a strength than a weakness. 

Hmm i just don’t see it

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kaliyev is just piling up the points. 45 goals & 88 points in 56 games. 

For draft year comparison of goal scorers; Tippett had 44 goals in 60 games, Meier had 44 in 61, Virtanen had 45 in 71. Even Zadina last year had 44 in 57.

He’s crazy in th  offensive zone. Just deadly - think he has best shot release in draft

Hey, here a question for everyone

Has anyone seen any articles about how genetics may play a part of who is picked?

So 2 equal players with equal size/abilities/ and Benning likes both...……...does a genetics profile get included?

Anyone have the answer? Do they interview parents....etc?

Simply, wondering!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey, here a question for everyone

Has anyone seen any articles about how genetics may play a part of who is picked?

So 2 equal players with equal size/abilities/ and Benning likes both...……...does a genetics profile get included?

Anyone have the answer? Do they interview parents....etc?

Simply, wondering!

They do tend to meet the parents and get an idea of how big the kid will grow but at the end of the day, talent and character drive the decision. No two players are identical so it would never occur. You just have to make a bet if they're close on who you think plays the best game to translate to the NHL (think how they determined Shinkaruk didn't play a game that would translate), and who has the drive and will to compete and get better every day. That's the trick of scouting, its projecting talent and understanding personality....the latter is why JB is so high on character and his picks all show a hunger and drive to be the best they can be. Trust in JB and Bracket

• Cheers 2

Gonna watch the Giants play the Royals on Saturday. Hopping to see Bryam play. I think he has the speed, skill, IQ, size, and truculence to be a Marc Girodano type player. Will be a major addition for which ever team gets him. I think only way we get him is if we trade up or win a top 3 in the draft lottery. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Gonna watch the Giants play the Royals on Saturday. Hopping to see Bryam play. I think he has the speed, skill, IQ, size, and truculence to be a Marc Girodano type player. Will be a major addition for which ever team gets him. I think only way we get him is if we trade up or win a top 3 in the draft lottery. 

If you make it out, would love to see your thoughts on him here! cheers

The turtle derby is frustrating. If we miss the playoffs, we're picking ( using realistic prognostications ) anywhere from 6th to 12th. If we make the playoffs, we're almost certainly picking 16th.

I both want to see a post season and am scared at how that could backfire on us. A healthy team might be able to hold their heads high, but Murphy's Law has not been our friend. I will always take a win over a tank, but I think that a post season has more negatives than positives.

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Funny that you say this.  I just gave the draft simulator a click and Vancouver got 3rd overall. :towel: 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

The turtle derby is frustrating. If we miss the playoffs, we're picking ( using realistic prognostications ) anywhere from 6th to 12th. If we make the playoffs, we're almost certainly picking 16th.

I both want to see a post season and am scared at how that could backfire on us. A healthy team might be able to hold their heads high, but Murphy's Law has not been our friend. I will always take a win over a tank, but I think that a post season has more negatives than positives.

the last time the canucks made the playoffs, benning drafted boeser 23rd overall. with benning and brackett, the canucks will get a good player in the first round regardless of where they pick. the players and the fans both need a taste of playoffs and it being unexpected would have an even greater impact for this generation. 

Edited by tas

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Yup in a draft year thats lacking in high end D hes the best one available. 

I second being curious of your thoughts on his game afterward. :)