The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I wouldn’t read too much into the results. Which team had the better players, the Blue Jackets or the Bolts?

You don’t need to have the best players to be the best team. Particularly for these tournaments, sometimes you throw together a bunch of great players but they don’t mesh well.  The U.S. has absolutely dominated — 10 golds and 4 silvers in the past 20 years — but it hasn’t been the clear #1 in producing prospects over the same time period. 

Difference is because of the USNTDP, the U.S. always puts together a good team, while everyone else put together a collection of good players.  The Euros may have assembled a better group with more complimentary skill sets this year, but that doesn’t mean they have a higher number of great individual talents. 

20 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Any love for

Arthur Kaliyev

6'2 LW 188 lbs had 102 points 51 goals and 51 assists in OHL this season?? anyone know more about this player?

Might look good on a line with Boes and Petey

Hes a monster but he doesn't play a complete game and requires others to generate opportunities for him to finish.

Watching him is interesting cause he is super deadly. Him and Caufield have the nicest release in the draft.

But Kaliyev isn't always engaged and is passive when it comes to getting the puck and what not.

He would need a line built to facilitate him completely right now and his game might not translate to the NHL as is. He needs to put some work in and will require dev time to make those changes. But he is undoubtedly one of the most offensively talented players in the draft.

His interview will be important for him.

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Hes a monster but he doesn't play a complete game and requires others to generate opportunities for him to finish.

Watching him is interesting cause he is super deadly. Him and Caufield have the nicest release in the draft.

But Kaliyev isn't always engaged and is passive when it comes to getting the puck and what not.

He would need a line built to facilitate him completely right now and his game might not translate to the NHL as is. He needs to put some work in and will require dev time to make those changes. But he is undoubtedly one of the most offensively talented players in the draft.

His interview will be important for him.

His playstyle reminds me similar to Thomas Vanek. 

Both score near and around the net though posses a very nice release like you said. I remember every time Vanek winded up for a slapshot he would always put the puck in the net. Same with Kaliyev, he seems to be the trigger man on the PP and scores from the halfboards in similar fashion. It's funny too because Kaliyev barely celebrates his goals and has an almost unsatisfied look face like Vanek has after scoring goals.

Kaliyev would not be a bad choice and I can see Benning taking a flyer on someone like him. 

It’s pretty incredible to think of what Arthur Kaliyev has already accomplished in his OHL career. The 2019 draft prospect currently sits sixth in league scoring with 42 goals and 83 points in 53 games, despite playing for a Hamilton Bulldogs squad that is starting to rebuild after last year’s championship title.

“Artie’s got a skill that, for me, is as unique as I’ve ever seen,” said coach Dave Matsos. “He’s 17 years old…he’s young. He’s got the heart and the approach of a 15-year-old, which is kinda cool. Artie’s ceiling is so high. When this guy matures physically and mentally – the guy just continues to score, that’s what he does.”

Born in Uzbekistan, Kaliyev moved to Staten Island, NY, when he was two years old. He grew up in the borough and lived there until he was 13, when the family moved to Michigan to further Arthur’s hockey career.

“It was a much higher level,” Kaliyev said. “It was a higher compete level and I got a lot better there, giving me a better chance of making the OHL.”

Now he spends his off-season in Florida, where his younger sister is an elite tennis player. Kaliyev’s father owns a shipping business and mostly lives back overseas, while mom holds down the fort in America. And while Kaliyev would definitely be a standout for Uzbekistan’s national team (spoiler alert: they don’t actually have an IIHF team), the gifted goal-scorer has put in his lot with Team USA, representing the Stars and Stripes at the Five Nations tourney and the Hlinka-Gretzky tournament.

The young right winger played for both Little Caesar’s and Compuware in Michigan before heading to Hamilton, where he happened to be a rookie during the Bulldogs’ run to the OHL title. That squad featured a murderer’s row of forwards headlined by Robert Thomas, Brandon Saigeon and Nicholas Caamano and even with a ton of older players ahead of him after the trade deadline, Kaliyev still potted 31 goals as a freshman.

“It was a great experience playing with top guys who play pro now,” Kaliyev said. “It was really nice to learn from them. This year there is much more responsibility and I try to be leader on the team.”

With Thomas, Saigeon and Caamano all gone (not to mention MacKenzie Entwistle, Marian Studenic and Ryan Moore), the Bulldogs aren’t leading the pack any longer, though they should still make the playoffs given their current pace. Kaliyev is playing on a pretty nice top line with center Jan Jenik (ARI) and left winger Matthew Strome (PHI), giving Hamilton a potent threat up top. But unlocking the rest of the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Kaliyev’s potential is the current mission.

“His 60-foot game in the ‘O’ zone is amazing,” Matsos said. “We’re trying to get him to play that 60-foot game in the neutral zone and that 60-foot game in the ‘D’ zone and he’s responding. And it’s not affecting his stats. He’s starting to get into bodies, he’s starting to block shots, he’s starting to get on the penalty kill; he’s doing so many amazing things.”

It’s easy to see the numbers Kaliyev is putting up and project him as an NHLer sooner than later, but with a more rounded-out game, he would be an even deadlier prospect. Hamilton is giving the kid that foundation and Kaliyev is happy to put in the work and effort to get there.

With 14 games remaining in the regular season, Kaliyev could easily hit the 50-goal mark this year. Given how much he has grown as a player already, it’s fair to ask this question: how many could be pot next season in Hamilton?

That’ll be a fun one for Bulldogs fans to keep a tally on.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/sharpshooting-arthur-kaliyev-is-just-getting-started-in-hamilton

Kaliyev screams like a Benning pick. His 82 goals and 150 points in 132 games is nothing to scoff at. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Both score near and around the net though posses a very nice release like you said. I remember every time Vanek winded up for a slapshot he would always put the puck in the net. Same with Kaliyev, he seems to be the trigger man on the PP and scores from the halfboards in similar fashion. It's funny too because Kaliyev barely celebrates his goals and has an almost unsatisfied look face like Vanek has after scoring goals.

Kaliyev would not be a bad choice and I can see Benning taking a flyer on someone like him. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/sharpshooting-arthur-kaliyev-is-just-getting-started-in-hamilton

Kaliyev screams like a Benning pick. His 82 goals and 150 points in 132 games is nothing to scoff at. 

His play away from the puck would tell me he isn't much of a Benning pick. I don't mind kaliyev but I would be disappointed picking him at 10.

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Definately not a benning pick. No russians in the first round for the canucks. 

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

button said, he believes that there is 5 americans in the top ten draft spots. if you add in kakko and podkolzin, that leaves 3 spots for canadians or whoever. 

Hughes, Boldy, Caufield, Zegras

Kakko 

Podkolzin 

Byram, Cozens, Dach 

Is he saying York’s in the top 10?

The Canucks would have loved to have won the lottery (obviously) and likely select Jack Hughes, thereby uniting the 2 Hughes brothers.  With NJD now holding the #1 pick there have been posts suggesting possible trades with NJD for that #1 pick.

Instead, how about looking at it from a different angle.  What would NJD be prepared to offer us for Quinn Hughes ?  That must be enticing for them.  Would they consider Taylor Hall and Damon Severson for Quinn Hughes and Adam Gaudette (or Jake Virtanen) ?  Or Nico Hischier and Damon Severson for Q.H. and A.G. (or J.V.) ?  

I'd be up for that kind of trade.  Severson puts up good points and has good size.  It's an interesting thought.  

21 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Image result for alex turcotte

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

turcotte i believe.

Wasn’t he the guy who had Turcotte at 12 but was really high on York?

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

in what order would you rate the canadians; 

byram, dach, cozens, newhook and krebs?

1) Byram 

2) Cozens (could rise because he’s a centre and pretty much NHL ready) 

3) Dach (not as high on him as some others, don’t think his dekes can translate that well) 

4) Krebs (give him the plus over Newhook because of his defensive ability) 

5) Newhook (his speed is very enticing though)

5 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

5 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

they can change their lists as the the year develops. 

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

they can change their lists as the the year develops. 

I don’t disagree, but I thought he had Turcotte at 12 or so on his last list, less than a week ago.