The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

10 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yuck.  

You want to start the season with the exact same lineup as last year?   

If that happens, I won’t be going to a single game, or getting sportsnet now again.  

Quite a bit different compared to how we started last year. That defensive group alone is far superior to what we had. There's only so much you can do with the forward ranks, but Pearson and Leivo give it a new look while Baertschi and Goldy are question marks. If anyone gets moved off that roster it will be Goldy, but I feel like giving him another real shot at a top 6 role could pay huge dividends

Can't see Krebs or Dach falling to #10. Podkolzin maybe, but that would be a dream.

I think it comes down to:

Zegras

Caufield

Boldy

Newhook

Soderstrom

Broberg

If these are the choices, go with the D.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Quite a bit different compared to how we started last year. That defensive group alone is far superior to what we had. There's only so much you can do with the forward ranks, but Pearson and Leivo give it a new look while Baertschi and Goldy are question marks. If anyone gets moved off that roster it will be Goldy, but I feel like giving him another real shot at a top 6 role could pay huge dividends

Gotta fully disagree.  

That dcorps is not far superior at all. 

It is identical to what we ended with last year.   It’s garbage.    Why do we want to continue on with the same crap hoping it gets better.  

Yes, Quinn helps, but only so much.  The kid has ALOT of developing to go.  

We we need to upgrade big time if we want to see any improvement.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pears said:

I want Caufield based on his pure goal scoring ability. Honestly put him on Pettersson’s LW and watch him fill the net. 

I agree. Haven’t watched the prospects enough to have an informed opinion but if GMJB selects Caufield I will endorse it since he seems to have a high ceiling as a scorer whereas most other prospects around #10 seems to be more of the high floor safe pick types.

Broberg is maybe an exception but I don’t trust his hockey IQ and could see him bust. Would love for us to get a late first round pick and pick up Bjornfot. 

17 hours ago, Pears said:

I want Caufield based on his pure goal scoring ability. Honestly put him on Pettersson’s LW and watch him fill the net. 

That would be a pretty light(small) line though

• Haha 2

I wonder if EDM and VAN would consider swapping the 8th and 10th overall picks along with Lucic and Eriksson, respectively. Recent events has Lucic being open to play for VAN in the near future and Eriksson not in agreement with coach Green. EDM would save on the 1 year of the contract (Lucic w/ 4 yrs @ $6M vs Eriksson w/ 3 yrs @ $6M) and VAN would jump up two spots, guaranteeing that one of the top-rated forwards are available.

Hughes/Kakko/Byram form the top 3.

That would mean that one of Dach/Turcotte/Boldy/Cozens/Podkolzin would be available for the Canucks as pick 8 should VAN and EDM swap picks as proposed.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Dach is a player i like quite a bit but haven't ever considered him at 10. He seems like a pure center and i haven't heard of him playing wing at all, not that i have followed his career for a long time admittedly. If he drops to us i think hes hard to pass on, although maybe someone lower than us would trade a 2nd rounder to move up for him. 

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Bogosian is UFA next year. I have heard they will move on from him when his pact expires.

Trading Ristolainen would leave them just Montour as a RHD.

Believe what you will...

They've got Dougherty and Fitzgerald coming and there's always trades and UFA's to fill 3rd pairing.

Again, I'm just basing it off all the noise out of BUF that they're looking at moving him. And it wasn't even my post that brought up trading for him :lol:

And as much as I'd love to acquire him, I fully admit we're tricky trade partners as we largely need a lot of the same things as teams. Established starting goalie being one thing we could in theory offer them that they need (albeit with our own risk of then needing same). Though TBL had a not dissimilar conundrum, went with the young guy...and that seems to have worked out pretty well for them, so who knows! 

Gotta say, Loui's looking good at the Worlds. Hopefully this raises his trade value. Wouldn't it be just the Canucks luck that they trade him and he has success somewhere else. That's what concerns me about trading Goldobin as well. I can't recall what Pettersson and Eriksson line looked like that last year. Is Loui a possibility to play on his line again something Green would be open to?  He looks like a different player when he's motivated. So, is the problem Green?

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Gotta fully disagree.  

That dcorps is not far superior at all. 

It is identical to what we ended with last year.   It’s garbage.    Why do we want to continue on with the same crap hoping it gets better.  

Yes, Quinn helps, but only so much.  The kid has ALOT of developing to go.  

We we need to upgrade big time if we want to see any improvement.  

Yes, I agree.  The team really needs a top 2 RD, Edler and probably draft a dman this year.

The top 6 needs a 1st line LW and a 2nd line RW.

This is not to say they need all of these players at once.  For this year, the team needs to improve from the last; possibly even making the playoffs.  They should be at least finishing the season around 16 - 18th place.  I don't know if JB can find a top pairing RHdman, but they at least need him to be top 4 and mobile/puck mover.  This is the most urgent position to fill; especially considering the lack of available prospects ready to make the NHL jump.  I don't see this player in the coming UFA (other than EK), but the 2020 market is way better.  Perhaps acquire a vet(short term) that has the hockey sense to play alongside Quinn and then focus on Bo's line.  Adding a RW(perhaps Connolly) that could complete Bo's line would certainly support a positive improvement.  Tanev will probably be traded later in the season as will a couple of bottom 6 guys.

The following season, the team needs to make the playoffs. Prospects joining the team will not likely make a difference at this point, as they will still be green.  Adding a LW that can complete Pete's line will definitely help them make the next step. At this point the Canucks may be able to package a trade for this player, rather than UFA.  I still think Taylor Hall kind of guy would be a great fit.  More trading off vets will continue.

In the 3rd season, the team will (hopefully) have some prospects that are ready to make the jump, so trading remaining vets will ensure space for the younger players.  I think the team will be a 2nd round exit in the playoffs.

Of course, all of this has to take in salary cap and the looming Seattle draft.:shock:  Not an easy task for a rebuilding team.

Back to entry draft....I think they will go with on of the Dmen (Seider sure looks like he'd fit the bill).  I'm really hoping for a miracle that jumps out and gifts the Canucks a 12-16 pick, so they can snatch one of those great forwards as well.  One can dream eh?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta say, Loui's looking good at the Worlds. Hopefully this raises his trade value. Wouldn't it be just the Canucks luck that they trade him and he has success somewhere else. That's what concerns me about trading Goldobin as well. I can't recall what Pettersson and Eriksson line looked like that last year. Is Loui a possibility to play on his line again something Green would be open to?  He looks like a different player when he's motivated. So, is the problem Green?

The Worlds is one of the reasons why we considered Eriksson in the first place, doubt another team replicates our mistake. Lol. But who knows? Could always hope.

• Upvote 3

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

no, Loui has done a very good job in the checking line role asked of him by Green. Its just that its not where Loui made his career from. If Benning can't make any trade upgrades this offseason why not put the Pearson-Bo-Loui line back together, it worked really well for a small span at the end of the year and I think you'll see more of "World's Loui" than bottom 6 Loui. The original mistake I think was thinking he'd be a lock with the Sedins. 

• Upvote 2