The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Close to $7 mil is not that bad for Myers. He has more offensive upside than he's shown, and our lack of RD is such a big issue its worth giving him a premium. Really (given cap inflation) he's worth around 6 mil  x7 so a bit more per year to drastically alter our RD is worth it. He also has a very heavy shot so can play PP. He was expected to be a very strong 2 way dman until the peg got Trouba and he moved down to 3RD behind Buff and him. He's really a big part of what this team needs IMHO.

I've said this a few times, use money people want to spend on Karlsson for Myers ($7) and Ferland ($5.5) and our team changes dramatically

I would look to sign Myers for a little less, but do agree we need to improve our top pairing right side.  

We have depth beyond the top pairing, but without a true number one guy, let alone a top 2 defender our team is constantly out matched defensively for long periods of each game.  

Hughes should, if anything improve our puck possession percentage each game which will reduce our defensive exposure.  

By next year adding Myers would be very significant and wont add to our cap woes when our young guys are due contracts.  

Resign Edler for less, bring in Myers, trade one of Tanev, Stecher or Guddy.  A case could be made for each one and it would all depend on what we get back.  Drop Pouliot and we would some money to add to Myers without hurting our overall cap situation.  

A Hughes Myers pairing would be pretty good IMO.  Edler can play with Tanev, Guddy and or Stecher on the second pairing and Hutton on the third with the other.  OJ could make Hutton expendable, Brisbiois has shown well so far and could also be in the mix, so could Schenn if Guddy is moved.  

Draft a top LW at the draft that has some size to put along side EP40.  If we can add a positional need with an eye on our core players for the next ten years.  

We have to move out forwards for next year, a few will.be moved before training camp.  Sutter, Baer, Granlund, Eriksson Schaller and Goldy could all be moved.  

I want to keep Motte, Beagle, Roussel, MacEwan, Leivo, Gaudette and Virtannen definitely.   That's our starting bottom six and a spare forward.  That's a damn good bottom six.  Spooner? I have no idea.  

We have some players who will get a look at forward next year, mainly Dahlen.  Lind and Gads need at least one more year to see what's they can do.  

Gaunce is a meh, either way I can see him being a forward version of Biega for us.  

Goalie depth looks good with Marzeca (sp?) In the  mix and Dipeitro starting as a rookie in the AHL.  Markstrom has become a number 1 guy who could be the type to get better with a playoff format.  Demko is going to get a long look at back up for the next while and the Ruskie in Utica is worth an NHL contract.   

Really, we are ideally suited to bring in Myers.  We have a double need for size too.  Especially playing along side Hughes.  Not necessarily toughness.  Myers has a huge wing span and can defend.  

Next year.

LW Tbd EP40 Boeser

LW Tbd Horvat Virtannen

Roussel Gauette Leivo

Motte Beagle MacEwan 

Hughes Myers

Edler Guddy

Hutton Stecher

OJ

Brisbiois

Biega

Schenn(?)

Spooner (?) 

Eriksson (?)

Granlund (?)

Sutter (?)

Baer (?)

Goldy (?)

Dahlen (?)

Markstrom

Demko

Dipeitro 

Marzeca

Ruskie

We will have these guys to choose from too for forward, Baer (worth keeping if he can be healthy) Sutter (Gaudette has made him expendable),  Grandlund ( I like his fit for our roster more than Sutter) Schaller... bye, Eriksson (Contract is an anchor, dont see him moved unless we are making a trade involving alot of salary coming back as a dump.  That and he has been a very good bottom six player.  I am happy if he sticks)

And Goldy.... likely stays, chip in the Trymakin situation we should keep if we want to sign the guy( even if to trade) and has offence.  With Baers injuries, I see him sticking.  

IMO 2-3 of Sutter, Granlund, Baer, Schaller, Eriksson and  Goldy have to be traded.  

If we did sign Myers one of Tanev, Guddy or Stecher could be moved.  We wouldn't need roster players back from any of these moves.  Stack Utica with depth, get picks or truly upgrade key positions.  

That's what signing Myers could free up on our roster and he wouldn't screw our cap moving forward.  

We could be a solid playoff contender with that lineup with added depth to our syste  or a good addition of picks.  

Cap space management is critical now that EP40 and Brock have emerged.  Getting a solid minute munching all round top 2 RHD is priority number one.  Then have a veteran 2nd pairing match up pairing would be awesome.  

Our third pairing would get alot of room to move so some offence would be fantastic.  Hutton and Stecher with OJ getting some reps in, making Hutton tradable at the next TDL.  

I could see JB making a serious run at Myers.  I still feel Karlsson would screw our cap in 2 years.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Trade Tanev and Gudbranson

Looks like they're resigning Edler due to reports so I'll include him in our roster

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Hutton-_______ (Schenn??)

I totally agree with your post and said it in another thread. Next year the Canucks probably need 3 new D to get any better. We cannot go into next year with the only new D being Hughes or they will just lose a whole lot of games again when Edler and Tanev suffer injuries again.

I like your line up.

I think Byram might be the only D that Benning would take with the 1st. I really hope he doesn't end up taking  Broberg, Seider or Soderstrom.

I would hope he would draft Newhook, Lavoie or Brink instead, if picking at around #15.  I wonder how high other teams will rank Byram. There's 4-5 Cs in the Top 10, quite a bit of offensive talent. I can see Byram dropping to around #10 and the Canucks possibly taking him.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Byram might be the only D that Benning would take with the 1st. I really hope he doesn't end up taking  Broberg, Seider or Soderstrom.

I would hope he would draft Newhook, Lavoie or Brink instead, if picking at around #15.  I wonder how high other teams will rank Byram. There's 4-5 Cs in the Top 10, quite a bit of offensive talent. I can see Byram dropping to around #10 and the Canucks possibly taking him.

I mean obviously BPA but if he's in the 15-20 range I can see him going after a guy like Soderstrom or Seider.

In my mind the ideal scenario is that we drop down the rest of the year and pick top ten minimum. I mean currently we are 7th last so thats not much of a stretch to imagine. With the top 10 pick we take a winger such as Brink and then trade a Sutter, Guddy or Tanev for a lower 1st and draft a defensemen such as Soderstrom or Seider.

23 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I totally agree with your post and said it in another thread. Next year the Canucks probably need 3 new D to get any better. We cannot go into next year with the only new D being Hughes or they will just lose a whole lot of games again when Edler and Tanev suffer injuries again.

I like your line up.

more than quinn next year would be better, but they will resign edler, if they chose to keep tanev and play hutton and stecher, they could go like that with maybe juolevi. others may be brought up but a pick this year will not play before woo is ready. 

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing people saying a lot of the same things about soderstrom that were said about hieskanen. Until people saw him play at world juniors, they were saying he wasn't dynamic or creative, and more of a safe two-way guy with low ceiling. This notion that soderstrom is not top 10 pick worthy is absurd.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What IS the actual knock on Newhook?

His 2 years so far project him as a bit of a stud, producing Jost type numbers in the same league but as a winger.  Is it just the league he's in?

The BCHL honestly is the strongest league for Canadian junior outside the CHL, I think more players are choosing to go the junior - college path as it gives them the best chance for a career whether it's in hockey or not. I wish I watched more this year but im gonna check our a few more games before the seasons over.

watched Bryam play tonight. What stood out to me was his skating, puck moving, playmaking, and grit. After watching the world juniors Erik Brannstrom and Quinn Hughes were definitely a notch above although they are older. I think he will be a top 10 pick but maybe not top 5

• Upvote 1

I watched Brayden Tracey today in the Sportnets CHL game. 

He had a goal & an assist, you can see the hockey sense. He's got impressive stats (30g, 70p in 57gp) - 3rd most points amongst WHL draft eligibles. He was last ranked 73rd in NA skaters by CS but I imagine he's going to have quite the jump next time around. I liked his hockey sense offensively. Skill wise seems pretty average, not the fastest/best skater, not the biggest guy (6'0 170), & not an exceptional shot or anything but it is decent. Seemed lackadaisical defensively/in battles frequently.

Odd case of a guy producing well that I could still see teams being down on. I'd say top 3 round pick. I'd bet 2nd, but if a team likes him he could be a late 1st rounder. 

• Upvote 1