The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

6 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Unfortunately 1/3 of these players ever should have been signed to contracts.

And I won't even get into the slew of garbage Johnson signed for depth that are stuck in the ECHL until they decide to get real jobs..    

The team is very poorly constructed and has had the same problems in their lineup for 3 seasons.

No matter.. eventually the Canucks fans will figure it out as these young prospects wallowing mediocrity which eventually will flow all the way to Vancouver. 

The Canucks will be a sub 500 team for years........

Man you are so salty. Your negativity around here has risen to the level of troll. If the canucks suck, and the comets suck, and you don't get along with any one here why do you keep coming back?

There's lots of other internet for you to get your jollies.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Man, you are taking things waayyyy to serious on here.  

These are just peoples opinions and seeing the way people and especially you get triggered is just crazy.  The world we live in today I guess?  People can't handle hearing someone else's opinion without getting completely offended

Hahahaha and yours does?  Show some respect, Grapes has done more for this country than you could ever imagine.   

You probably like trump to. Schmuck lol.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Man you are so salty. Your negativity around here has risen to the level of troll. If the canucks suck, and the comets suck, and you don't get along with any one here why do you keep coming back?

Have you seriously looked at the comets roster??  Sorry if some people are super sensitive and can not handle the truth.......  We are not gonna tell you how great management has been due to the fact that the comets have been mismanaged since Henning was canned.......

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Whats the deal with Lind? I know its a big step up from junior and hes had some injury problems, but i expected more considering his season last year.  

Lind missed a bunch of games due to injury. When he came back he wasn't very noticeable and then was scratched the last couple of games in favor of Gadjovich.  The following quote from Cull today wasn't specific to Lind but it does apply to him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

It's no different than the last time you were bitching. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. 

We get it man. 

Maybe there's a number you can call?

He reminds of Arty57 he was this troll who knew a lot about the Canucks and was dedicated to slagging management.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He's doing a great job.  Sorry to hear that he triggers you as well.  

Your that easy to fool eh. Pretty sad. He'll essentially bankrupt that country like hes bankrupt himself multiple times while dragging down as many blue collar workers as possible. Don't drink the koolaid man your better than that. I say that as a conservative before you think I'm a snowflake. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

ignore function, I put him on it long ago and it's improved this thread by a ton.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It's no different than the last time you were bitching. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. Or the time before that. 

We get it man. 

Maybe there's a number you can call?

1-800-gtfo is  great number for him

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Comets are in a developmental league. Sometimes things/players take time to develop. These young players need ice time. Thats just how this works. 

Give Benning another draft or two and a couple of years for players to develop and I think Comets and Canucks fans will be pleased.

By Ben Birnell

Posted Dec 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Updated Dec 11, 2018 at 8:09 PM

UTICA – Colton Saucerman hasn’t appeared in a game with the Comets, but there’s already a buzz around the defenseman.

It helps when you have a name fit for hockey, but that’s not all.

It is Saucerman’s majestic, flowing reddish-brown beard that reached far below the neckline of his black Utica Comets practice jersey Tuesday that has easily grabbed the most attention.

“Hopefully, I can live up to the name and the beard,” Saucerman said with a smile.

The addition of the 26-year-old Saucerman – who has played with eight teams between the ECHL and American Hockey League after a four-year career at Northeastern University ended in 2016 – on a professional tryout contact has generated a tremendous amount of interest on social media over the past few days.

“My phone was going off last night in the airport,” Saucerman said after his first practice with the Comets on Tuesday. “I was reading some of it and it is pretty hilarious.”

Intrigue surrounding Saucerman — whose nickname is “Sauce” — has appeared on more than a few popular websites and blogs as well as on Twitter. That includes a post from ESPN personality and hockey enthusiast John Buccigross on Tuesday.

The beard reflects the 5-foot-9, 194-pound Saucerman’s demeanor: full, refined and jovial. It has also helped keep him from “a lot of face work” as pucks and sticks “seem to glance off it,” he said.

“It takes about eight months to get the length and it is maintenance after that,” said Saucerman, who had to shave it for Toronto camp last year. “An ice cream cone is pretty tough (to eat). ... Burgers and hot dogs and stuff like that are just a mess.”

There are nicknames, of course.

Saucerman said Yukon Cornelius, the character from the movie Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, is popular around the holidays. He’s also drawn comparisons to Game of Thrones’ character Tormund Giantsbane, who sports a similar look. For Halloween, the beard helped Saucerman pull off an uncanny resemblance to Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty.

“It was a pretty good costume, I must say,” he said.

Saucerman – who played against Thatcher Demko and Tanner MacMaster in college and with current Utica forward Tony Cameranesi at ECHL Manchester – appeared to be an instant hit with the Comets.

“I really enjoy it,” veteran Jaime Sifers said. “I was texting with one of his old teammates last night who saw he was coming here. He said he was a great guy and obviously has an awesome beard.”

Saucerman joins the Comets (12-13-1-1, tied for 4th in the North Division) at a time when they’re without injured defensemen Jalen Chatfield, Olli Juolevi, Ashton Sautner and Dylan Blujus (day-to-day).

Comets coach Trent Cull said he doesn’t know a lot about Saucerman, but hopes he can step in and “play big minutes.” Saucerman showed off a solid shot Tuesday among his skills.

“I try to be productive every shift I’m out there,” he said. “Being a smaller guy, I don’t shy away from contact. I try to be offensive and jump into the play and get my shots through. I definitely take care of my (defensive) zone. Obviously, that’s first and foremost. ... I think you’re going to notice me every shift I’m out there.”

Saucerman comes to Utica after playing 10 ECHL games with Idaho, where he had three goals and five assists. In 12 games with ECHL Manchester, he had a goal and three assists.

Among Colton Saucerman’s greatest achievements: He dressed up as@GrittyNHL and it is incredible.
(Photo via his Instagram)pic.twitter.com/CU5tGdzAWm

— Ben Birnell (@OD_Birnell)December 10, 2018

Roll call

Forward Vincent Arseneau (hand) practiced Tuesday in a normal jersey for the first time since leaving the team’s Nov. 9 game following a fight.

Also participating in red no-contact jerseys were forward Wacey Hamilton (concussion; hasn’t played this season) and Juolevi (knee; out since Nov. 17). Cull said the team will continue to monitor each player’s progress.

Forward Brendan Woods, who didn’t play Saturday, is day-to-day with a lower-body injury. Injuries limited him to 14 games last season.

Contact reporter Ben Birnell at 315-792-5032 or follow him on Twitter (@OD_Birnell).

• Upvote 1