The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

40 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

California governor signs law allowing gun violence victims to sue firearm manufacturers for damages

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/california-gun-law-victims-sue-manufacturers/index.html

This could really make a huge dent in gun manufactures bottom line if that law actually gets used.

Good.  This is like the cigarette stuff from the 60’s.  Cigarettes kill people.  Guns kill people.  Not just manufacturers should be held accountable but so should those who sell the guns.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/bo-jackson-paid-funeral-expenses-of-uvalde-shooting-victims/ar-AAZS1Tt?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d61e6ffcecbe4af7acfef3377f2591ee

Bo Jackson was known for incredible feats on the football field and baseball diamond. He was truly an anomaly, having been one of the best players in the NFL and Major League Baseball at the same time during a point in the 90s. A lesser part known characteristic of the former Heisman Trophy winner is his charitability.

AAZS0nx.img?w=534&h=330&m=6

The former Oakland Raiders and MLB star revealed this week that he has donated the entire cost for the funerals for the victims of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, earlier this year.

Although Jackson said he doesn’t have any connection to the school — outside driving by the town on hunting trips, he claims he just felt compelled to do so in a statement during an interview with the AP.

The victims of the tragic mass shooting include 19 students and two teachers who were all killed in May.

“I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting old. It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids. It’s just not right,” he told The Associated Press.

“I know every family there probably works their butts off just to do what they do … The last thing they needed was to shell out thousands of dollars for something that never should have happened.”

Jackson said he flew to Uvalde where he met with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for some time before donating $170,000 to cover the funeral expenses. Even though Abbott kept the status of the donor quiet, Jackson announced it anyways just three weeks later.

“We didn’t want media. No one knew we were there … Uvalde is just a town that sticks in your mind. Just the name. I don’t know a soul there. It just touched me.”

A generous gesture from a man who wowed fans with his rare skillset as a successful two-sport athlete.

During his heyday, he spent time with the Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox, Angels and Raiders during his playing career. Before all of that, he destroyed opposing linebackers as a bruising runner for the Auburn Tigers.

Not wanting to make a statement with his donation, he said he wants to put a little sunshine over the cloud of everyone who is suffering.

“I don’t want to turn this into anything [but] what it is,” Jackson said, via The Associated Press. “I was just trying [with the donation] to put a little sunshine in someone’s cloud, a very dark cloud … It’s the children. It’s the children. It’s the children.

“If it doesn’t bother you, something’s wrong with you.”

The Uvalde shooting was the deadliest at a school in the United States since the Sandy Hook massacre in Connecticut in 2012.

[AP]

The post Bo Jackson paid funeral expenses of Uvalde shooting victims appeared first on The Comeback: Today’s Top Sports Stories & Reactions.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:33 PM, nuckin_futz said:

India you never fail to entertain. Is there such a thing as a 'clown tuk tuk'?

"Just hop on the Tuk Tuk, Chuck.....there must be 51 ways to leave your lover".....:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Russia: "Waah waah waah... I'm taking my &^@#ing ball and going to &^@# off home... " :rolleyes:

Russia to quit International Space Station after 2024

Announcement comes amid soaring tensions between Russia and the West over Ukraine invasion

The Associated Press · Posted: Jul 26, 2022 8:44 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

international-space-station.JPG
The International Space Station is seen in this photograph taken April 20, 2022 by cosmonaut Pyotr Dubrov from the Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft. Russia will opt out of the International Space Station after 2024 and focus on building its own orbiting outpost. (Pyotr Dubrov/Roscosmos)

Russia will pull out of the International Space Station after 2024 and focus on building its own orbiting outpost, the country's new space chief said Tuesday amid high tensions between Moscow and the West over the fighting in Ukraine.

Yuri Borisov, who was appointed earlier this month to lead the state-controlled space corporation Roscosmos, said during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that Russia will fulfil its obligations to other partners of the International Space Station before it leaves the project.

"The decision to leave the station after 2024 has been made," Borisov said. "I think that by that time, we will start forming a Russian orbiting station."

But Robyn Gatens, NASA's director of the space station, said her Russian counterparts have not yet communicated any such intent, which is required by the station's intergovernmental agreement.

"Nothing official yet," Gatens told Reuters, speaking from an ISS conference in Washington. "We literally just saw that as well. We haven't gotten anything official."

Borisov's statement reaffirmed previous declarations by Russian space officials about Moscow's intention to leave the space station after 2024, when the current international arrangements for its operation end.

NASA and other international partners hope to keep the space station running until 2030, while the Russians have been reluctant to make commitments beyond 2024.

The space station is jointly run by the space agencies of Russia, the U.S., Europe, Japan and Canada. The first piece of the station was put in orbit in 1998, and the outpost has been continuously inhabited for nearly 22 years. It is used to conduct scientific research in zero gravity and to test equipment for future space journeys.

The station typically has a crew of seven who live aboard months at a time as it orbits about 400 kilometres from Earth. The complex, which is almost as long as a football field, consists of two main sections, one run by Russia, the other by the U.S. and the other countries.

It was not immediately clear who will operate the Russian side of the station once Moscow pulls out.

Issues around sanctions

The Russian announcement is certain to stir speculation that it is part of Moscow's manoeuvring to win relief from Western sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.

Borisov's predecessor, Dmitry Rogozin, said last month that Moscow could take part in negotiations about a possible extension of the station's operations only if the U.S. lifts the sanctions it imposed on Russian space industries.

WATCH | Russian cosmonauts holding up flags in support of pro-Russian separatists: 

BURKE_SPACE_TENSION_MPX.jpg?crop=1.777xh

Russia snubs space station partners over Ukraine war tensions

12 days ago
Duration2:17
Russia is giving its partners in the International Space Station the cold shoulder over tensions caused by the war in Ukraine. Images circulating of Russian cosmonauts holding up flags in support of pro-Russian separatists prompted rare statements from space agencies in Canada, the U.S. and Europe.

With Elon Musk's SpaceX company now flying NASA astronauts to and from the space station, the Russian Space Agency lost a major source of income. For years, NASA had been paying tens of millions of dollars per seat for rides to and from the station aboard Russian rockets.

Despite the tensions over Ukraine, NASA and Roscosmos struck a deal earlier this month for their astronauts to continue riding Russian rockets. Russian cosmonauts will hitch rides to the space station with SpaceX rockets beginning this fall. These flights will involve no exchange of money.

The agreement ensures that the space station will always have at least one American and one Russian on board to keep both sides of the outpost running smoothly, according to NASA and Russian officials.

Moscow and Washington co-operated in space even at the height of the Cold War, when Apollo and Soyuz spacecraft docked in orbit in 1975 in the first crewed international space mission, helping improve U.S.-Soviet relations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/russia-international-space-station-1.6532142

I mean, we all know they are evil.

Cats classified as 'invasive alien species' by Polish institute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/house-cats-invasive-species-polish-institute-1.6532330

'A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife.

Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive.

Wojciech Solarz, a biologist at the state-run Polish Academy of Sciences, wasn't prepared for the disapproving public response when he entered Felis catus, the scientific name for the common house cat, into a national database run by the academy's Institute of Nature Conservation. 

The database already had 1,786 other species listed with no objections, Solarz told The Associated Press. Invasive alien species No. 1,787, however, is a creature so beloved that it often is honoured in Poland's pet cemeteries, often reserved for cats and dogs. 

Solarz described the growing scientific consensus that domestic cats can have a harmful impact on biodiversity, given the number of birds and mammals they hunt and kill.

The criteria for including the cat among alien invasive species, "are 100 per cent met by the cat," he said.'

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I mean, we all know they are evil.

Cats classified as 'invasive alien species' by Polish institute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/house-cats-invasive-species-polish-institute-1.6532330

'A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife.

Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive.

Wojciech Solarz, a biologist at the state-run Polish Academy of Sciences, wasn't prepared for the disapproving public response when he entered Felis catus, the scientific name for the common house cat, into a national database run by the academy's Institute of Nature Conservation. 

The database already had 1,786 other species listed with no objections, Solarz told The Associated Press. Invasive alien species No. 1,787, however, is a creature so beloved that it often is honoured in Poland's pet cemeteries, often reserved for cats and dogs. 

Solarz described the growing scientific consensus that domestic cats can have a harmful impact on biodiversity, given the number of birds and mammals they hunt and kill.

The criteria for including the cat among alien invasive species, "are 100 per cent met by the cat," he said.'

A dog will make sure you're safe in traffic, jump in front of a bullet for you, be your best friend no matter what. 

A cat would eat you if it could. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

A dog will make sure you're safe in traffic, jump in front of a bullet for you, be your best friend no matter what. 

A cat would eat you if it could. 

Yes they would.  Evil kitties 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

I'm unable to properly copy and paste articles from The Conversation and still retain general formatting, so i'm going to provide the Twitter tweet they made instead and would invite people to click into it from there.

For reference (and I've posted about and from them in the past), The Conversation is a mode of getting academic research output into the public domain; they advertise themselves as "Academic rigour, journalistic flair".  Because the people who contribute to The Conversation are primarily academics and are sharing the results of their research in areas where they are experts in, I don't always agree with the opinions they may have on a personal level, but I respect the articles that are published because of their expertise in their respective fields.

Anyways.  Um.  Enjoy?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Glad to see that the Americans aren't being intimidated by the Chinese.

Dry weather is emptying the American aquivers and surface storage. How long before they look to Canada for major diversion of water south? IMHO it will be the end of Canada. My tin foil hat tells me the reason the Canadian oil industry was trashed was to keep Canada weak enough to be compliant. It was the only vehicle that could have generated the dollars to allow an independent Canada.   

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Glad to see that the Americans aren't being intimidated by the Chinese.

Dry weather is emptying the American aquivers and surface storage. How long before they look to Canada for major diversion of water south? IMHO it will be the end of Canada. My tin foil hat tells me the reason the Canadian oil industry was trashed was to keep Canada weak enough to be compliant. It was the only vehicle that could have generated the dollars to allow an independent Canada.   

Fury Road.

Where are us humans at with desalination?

I always thought that could save us.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We should figure out how to do it cheaper before we need to call Mad Max. 

just doing a quick scan, looks like there might be some new membrane tech and ideas around solar power usage to make it cheaper. 

makes a lot of sense for the south US. It just needs to be tied to something dumb like gun shortages and we'll see it happen asap. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

just doing a quick scan, looks like there might be some new membrane tech and ideas around solar power usage to make it cheaper. 

makes a lot of sense for the south US. It just needs to be tied to something dumb like gun shortages and we'll see it happen asap. 

Whenever I hear a concern about fresh water I wonder about it.

That ocean is pretty big. If things get so desperate that countries would consider to go to war over water, I obviously hope that some developments in this field could occur first.

• Like 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Whenever I hear a concern about fresh water I wonder about it.

That ocean is pretty big. If things get so desperate that countries would consider to go to war over water, I obviously hope that some developments in this field could occur first.

we have the tech now, Cali already has something like 12 of them in operation. Isreal I think is close to 1/2 of their water being produced this way.

The US doesn't have to take us over for fresh water. They already have Great Lakes and can stick a pipe in them anytime they want to. 

• Cheers 1