The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOR] Leafs and Sharks looking at acquiring Panarin

Also why is it that Leafs fans think players like Kapanen and Brown have such high value?

Kapanen is worth no more than Baertschi was when we traded for him, and that was for a 2nd. Panarin won't be had for the value of a second round pick.

If it's Nylander, Kapanen, and a pick then maybe they've got a deal.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't Dumbass say they were keeping all 4 of their stud forwards, and plan on adding Panarin? Are they gonna ice a beer league D core? Maybe my dreams of becoming an NHLer are still there.

I think they're dreaming if they think they're keeping Nylander/ Marner and acquiring Panarin.

And the idea that their window is one year with some cap before the RFA crunch hits them - not the way to look at or build for a Cup window imo.

But regarding Panarin - first, the CBJ are as far, if not further along in their build than Toronto - a more balanced roster, with pieces like Jones, Werenski, Murray, Savard on their blueline.  In other words, they're unlikely to be looking to move Panarin for a gaggle of futures - they're likely to want a roster replacement in the short term - and also have a very strong bottom six forwards.

If anything, I like their chances better than Toronto's despite the "4 studs" and would take their roster over Toronto's in a heartbeat.  The CBJ may not have the top 2C that Toronto does, but Dubois and Wennberg are pretty damn good in their own right.  The only other area I'd give Toronto a distinct advantage is coaching - but hopefully that's something Columbus addresses and upgrades soon.

In any event, Toronto doesn't really have the assets to acquire Panarin - particularly if they're bent on keeping those 4 - and beyond that, what are they realistically going to offer?   Liljegren and a gaggle of their future 1sts?   Dream on - let alone wonder what the  spamaplan would be - to strip mine their futures to add another winger, forget their blueline entirely and front load their chances?   How does a trade like that make sense for Columbus?  And what does the kind of cost it would take to acquire Panarin do to the Leafs future prospect pipeline?   Just don't see this as realistic, at all.

I think they should go for it though - speed it up and end the cycle sooner.  It almost looks at this point like they're being run by the prospect of Matthews wanting out when he hits RFA status.  I think I'd take a different course entirely, but would like to see them get impatient and out of our way in shorter course.

Shouldn't have been renting veteran depth forwards the past two playoff pipe-dreams.  Shouldn't have been spending 18+ million with term on twilight players like Marleau (that extra year of term through to 2020 could really bite them).  Should have been using cap space and assets/futures to improve their blueline.  And now, looking to add yet more winger scoring?  Not sure I buy this rumour - seems too far-fetched for even the Leafs.  They keep spending their allowance before they get it.   It may have worked with the Pens - but the Pens had a better blueline than Toronto and a better supporting cast.   Keep the 2nds,  Distribute their cap space better......and they're in a better position moving forward imo.  Now though - they're probably going to have to spend one of their 4 forwards whether they like it or not. 

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Also why is it that Leafs fans think players like Kapanen and Brown have such high value?

Kapanen is worth no more than Baertschi was when we traded for him, and that was for a 2nd. Panarin won't be had for the value of a second round pick.

It's standard Leaf-stylin' -- 2nd rate prospects and scraps for good players:

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Ya what I was guna say. Huge f up

Parnarin is great in the regular season, and even better in the playoffs.  Guy is truly one of those special players, who get better with stiffer competition.  So glad the Hawks were stupid, and traded him.  Leafs don’t need Parnarin though; they already have that playoff star in Nylander.  :lol:

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Parnarin is great in the regular season, and even better in the playoffs.  Guy is truly one of those special players, who get better with stiffer competition.  So glad the Hawks were stupid, and traded him.  Leafs don’t need Parnarin though; they already have that playoff star in Nylander.  :lol:

And to think Panarin was a free gift to the Hawks when he signed there. Big oops on their part. Seabrook's monies should of went to keeping Panarin.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It remember when he came into the NHL. I took one look at him and though "whatever". Overrated little guy. Shows what I know. He was my first pick in my hockey pool this year and he didnt let me down. The game has changed so much. I remember him scoring a goal this playoffs where he was screaming down the left side and let the snap-chip shot go and beat the goalie high glove. Being a right shot myself I replayed that shot a dozen times. Much, much skill he has. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

It remember when he came into the NHL. I took one look at him and though "whatever". Overrated little guy. Shows what I know. He was my first pick in my hockey pool this year and he didnt let me down. The game has changed so much. I remember him scoring a goal this playoffs where he was screaming down the left side and let the snap-chip shot go and beat the goalie high glove. Being a right shot myself I replayed that shot a dozen times. Much, much skill he has. 

Torts, we know, is a very tough coach too.  He demands his players play the right way.  However, Torts rewards skilled guys, who do play the right way, with plenty of ice time.  Parnarin was out a lot, especially in the playoffs.  That shows just how great a player he is.  He’s way too good for the Leafs.  

On 2018-07-23 at 3:18 AM, DeNiro said:

The issue is Panarin has already told Columbus (before the draft in case they want to shop him) that he's not interested in re-signing with them.  Other teams know this which doesn't give CLB as much to work with.  Not saying they shouldn't try to get the most they can, but the longer this goes on for the less they will likely get in return.  Panarin in TO seems like cap folly to me, Dubas should be smart enough to at least know they are going to need some money for their defense at some point.   SJ makes more sense given they lost the Tavares deal and seem desperate enough to overpay heavily to whomever the next best or third or fourth best is for that matter.  

Edit: CLB response to this news publicly at least (that Panarin isn't that interested in staying) is they have him for one more year to convince him to change his mind....

On 2018-07-23 at 11:37 AM, oldnews said:

I think they're dreaming if they think they're keeping Nylander/ Marner and acquiring Panarin.

And the idea that their window is one year with some cap before the RFA crunch hits them - not the way to look at or build for a Cup window imo.

But regarding Panarin - first, the CBJ are as far, if not further along in their build than Toronto - a more balanced roster, with pieces like Jones, Werenski, Murray, Savard on their blueline.  In other words, they're unlikely to be looking to move Panarin for a gaggle of futures - they're likely to want a roster replacement in the short term - and also have a very strong bottom six forwards.

If anything, I like their chances better than Toronto's despite the "4 studs" and would take their roster over Toronto's in a heartbeat.  The CBJ may not have the top 2C that Toronto does, but Dubois and Wennberg are pretty damn good in their own right.  The only other area I'd give Toronto a distinct advantage is coaching - but hopefully that's something Columbus addresses and upgrades soon.

In any event, Toronto doesn't really have the assets to acquire Panarin - particularly if they're bent on keeping those 4 - and beyond that, what are they realistically going to offer?   Liljegren and a gaggle of their future 1sts?   Dream on - let alone wonder what the  spamaplan would be - to strip mine their futures to add another winger, forget their blueline entirely and front load their chances?   How does a trade like that make sense for Columbus?  And what does the kind of cost it would take to acquire Panarin do to the Leafs future prospect pipeline?   Just don't see this as realistic, at all.

I think they should go for it though - speed it up and end the cycle sooner.  It almost looks at this point like they're being run by the prospect of Matthews wanting out when he hits RFA status.  I think I'd take a different course entirely, but would like to see them get impatient and out of our way in shorter course.

Shouldn't have been renting veteran depth forwards the past two playoff pipe-dreams.  Shouldn't have been spending 18+ million with term on twilight players like Marleau (that extra year of term through to 2020 could really bite them).  Should have been using cap space and assets/futures to improve their blueline.  And now, looking to add yet more winger scoring?  Not sure I buy this rumour - seems too far-fetched for even the Leafs.  They keep spending their allowance before they get it.   It may have worked with the Pens - but the Pens had a better blueline than Toronto and a better supporting cast.   Keep the 2nds,  Distribute their cap space better......and they're in a better position moving forward imo.  Now though - they're probably going to have to spend one of their 4 forwards whether they like it or not. 

See above post, all they have to give for Panarin, or any team for that matter, is whatever one playoff and part of or up to one season is worth.  Doesn't mean it won't amount to a good player in return and CLB is reporting they won't trade him as they would rather convince him to stay (despite him telling them to shop him prior to the draft because he isn't interested).  Just like Karlssons value is going down every game that's played closer to the end of the year the same will be the case with this guy, GMs know there back is against the wall and just have to provide the best deal that's good enough to get it done.  Granlund,   and a second maybe? (Ok that's a joke)

Archived