The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Junior Summer Showdown

Ajax-

1 hour ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Obviously not. 

But when a kid drafted 2 years after you and 2 spots behind you had the option to make the team before you - the big picture might be a little harder to see. 

well that's not happening, Hughes is going back to college and Juolevi will probably play his first NHL game before 2018 is done. 

13 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I agree but it is weird how nonchalant he looks the entire time.  I wonder what he would do at full intensity.  Ridiculous control of the puck!

i remember how much people thought m lemuiex looked nonchalant and disinterested . . . which he wasn't

4 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Wahlstrom looked pretty average today and just like in the final minute of the U18 gold medal game, in the final minute of today's game Jack Hughes gifted him a cross ice pass and Wahlstrom failed to bury it in the open net. I know i’ve only seen a small sample size of him, but despite being a prolific goal scorer, he hasn’t shown to be very clutch when needed most.

Ah, so I wasn't the only one who noticed.  He even missed from the same spot, and I think more than once in fact.

Hughes has the offensive game there is no question. The unknown is how his defensive game will turnout in the NHL.

This was a meaningless game in the end, I think QH was on the ice for quite a few of Canada's goals.

Canucks have their future offensive puck rushing D, there is no question. Lets hope we can develop another young D to compliment his game. QH is a high risk high reward player. We will be wowed without a doubt, but I am sure he is going to make some people frustrated with his D game or his high risk plays that could lead to turnovers and goals....nobody his size is the perfect 2 way defender.

All in all, happy he is going back to College. Hopefully he doesn't worry about his offensive stats and focuses more on his D zone coverage, angling off players and hitting the gym to increase his strength

4 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Obviously not. 

But when a kid drafted 2 years after you and 2 spots behind you had the option to make the team before you - the big picture might be a little harder to see. 

Nope.   That is just how it goes sometimes. 

Who ever said he was 2 spots behind him?  

You cant make stuff up to try to prove a point.  It doesn’t work like that.  

Sure, he was drafted two years after, and might have made the team, he may not have as well, but that has a lot of factors in it. 

They play VERY different styles of hockey, Hughes style being something we need a lot more than another 2-way dman. 

Also, there is the ticket sales that ownership needs to think about.  

Quinn will sell tickets for sure.  

Quinn and Olli are two different people who will make the team at their own pace with no effect on the other  

29 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Sure, he was drafted two years after, and might have made the team, he may not have as well, but that has a lot of factors in it. 

They play VERY different styles of hockey, Hughes style being something we need a lot more than another 2-way dman. 

Quinn and Olli are two different people who will make the team at their own pace with no effect on the other  

He was drafted two spots behind him.

( 7-5= 2 ) ...I’m not making that up. You can use a calculator to make sure if it helps. 

I’m not even sure what you disagree with. 

If you think Olli doesn’t feel increased pressure when a kid drafted two years after him was given the option to turn pro in NA before him, then I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that competitive sports were never really your thing. 

Theres nothing wrong with pressure and, like everyone else, I expect to see them complementing each other on the ice for a long time but Olli definitely feels the QH draft pick in a different way than Brock, Bo, and EP. Which was the original point. 

30 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

( 7-5= 2 ) ...I’m not making that up. You can use a calculator to make sure if it helps. 

Yeah. Misunderstood that part. My bad.  

If you think Olli doesn’t feel increased pressure when a kid drafted two years after him was given the option to turn pro in NA before him, then I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that competitive sports were never really your thing. 

Lol.  Nice comment.   Feel cool now?  

I played hockey for 15 years.  

The kid doesn’t need to feel pressure from his team drafting someone competing for a different spot. 

Theres nothing wrong with pressure and, like everyone else, I expect to see them complementing each other on the ice for a long time but Olli definitely feels the QH draft pick in a different way than Brock, Bo, and EP. Which was the original point. 

Your original point was just a smart ass comment.  

Joulevi will play nhl games this year.  Quinn will be in college.  

Doesnt sound like a lot of pressure to me. 

They play very different games and if anything, could end up being paired together at some point.    

They aren’t going to be fighting for the same spot 

15 hours ago, Sikhguy23 said:

ever since 2011 this team seems to have wanted more of the gentleman vibe in the locker room. It'll be a welcome change if the team plays a more in your face style, with on and off ice swagger to boot

I can see gaudette being a kesler 2.0.

Plays a tough in your face style. Problem is, Bieksa was the only one that could back it up in a fight. We have gudbranson now. And a few middleweights but nothing too intimidating. At least we're going to play a tougher 200 ft game... 

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Some of the bizarre narratives people invent are truly incredible but it is always great to see logical and accurate responses like this.

3 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Good grief.   Draft positions mean very little and comparing between separate drafts means even less.  :rolleyes:

Kids develop physically and mentally at different rates - deal with it.

These kids have been competing for spots on teams since they could walk/talk.   They have consistently risen to the top of each competition they have had and that isn't going to change because you imply this is a new scenario for them.   If you have EVER played a team sport at a competitive level you don't view the world the way you are implying - you hope the team you are a part of is adding talent as you KNOW you are good enough and want to be surrounded by the best players you can be. 

Showcase is over and some are weighing in on who excelled which implies others did not.   Dobson was good, Hughes are better on D.   Bouchard - perhaps Canucks dodged a bullet there - looked slower as tournament moved on.

Anyway, for what it is worth:

Top 10 players (and honourable mentions) at WJ Summer Showcase 2018

Top 10 players at Summer Showcase, according to NHL.com

Dobson, Farabee, Hughes brothers make case for 2019 WJC roster spots

by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor
 August 4th, 2018
cut.jpg

KAMLOOPS, British Columbia -- The players, coaches and executives at the World Junior Summer Showcase know that summer hockey results have little bearing on how a season could unfold.

[RELATED: Dobson gains confidence before Islanders training camp Tkachuk leading United States in Summer Showcase]

"It's summer hockey, I don't care how many goals or assists you get," Canada coach Tim Hunter said. "Did you play the right way? If you play the right way, that's the process."

A number of players have stood out during the eight days of games and practices at Sandman Centre and made strong first impressions toward their goal of playing at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia. 

Here are NHL.com's top 10 players, in alphabetical order:

Noah Dobson, D, Canada (New York Islanders)

The 18-year-old showed poise and skill that belie his age. In his first time competing at the U-20 level he had little problem excelling at both ends of the ice. He scored two goals in Canada's 4-3 overtime win against Sweden, and had three in two games.

"He doesn't play like a 2000 (born player), he plays like a 1999," Hunter said. "He's got composure, he's got confidence, he's a big guy (6-foot-3, 180 pounds), he's got presence on the ice. That's going to bode well for giving him an opportunity to play on this team come December."

cut.jpg

NHL Tonight: 2018 WJSS

• 01:56 • August 1st, 2018

Joel Farabee, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

Farabee (6-0, 164), led the U.S. with three goals in five games. The 18-year-old forward displayed his high-end hockey sense and offensive skills on almost every shift.

"I was thoroughly impressed with the young man, his game, his mental approach," U.S. coach Mike Hastings said. "He put a lot of miles on this week, played a lot of minutes, and I didn't see his game drop off from day to day. I was really impressed with his ability to play on both sides of the puck."

cut.jpg

Jack Hughes, F, United States (2019 NHL Draft eligible)

The 17-year-old arguably was the best player. His blend of top-end skill, high hockey IQ and work ethic was obvious. He had three points (one goal, two assists) in five games, including an assist to his brother, Quintin Hughes (Vancouver Canucks) for the winning goal against Canada in a split-squad game.

Despite being the youngest player at the event, Hughes (5-9, 157) never looked out of place.

"I'm a confident kid," he said. "From playing with older kids (growing up) and being around them, I'm not really too fazed by it. Just worrying about what I do."

cut.jpg

Quintin Hughes, D, United States (Vancouver Canucks)

The 18-year-old showed a dynamic offensive skill set, including a three-assist game in a 5-4 win against Sweden. His signature moment came in overtime that game, when he carried the puck through the offensive zone, deked around his man, cut to the net and slid a pass through the crease to Joshua Norris for the winner.

Hughes (5-10, 170) finished with a U.S.-high six points (one goal, five assists) in five games.

"He likes to play the game and he plays it at a pace," Hastings said. "His ability to move laterally makes him really difficult to defend. I was happy with the way he played throughout the camp."

cut.jpg

Rasmus Kupari, F, Finland (Los Angeles Kings)

Kupari (6-1, 183) is one of three returning players from the 2018 WJC team. The 18-year-old forward had four assists in five games playing center and right wing on Finland's top line.

"He's a very good skater, he's fast and he's a very skillful player," said Finland forward Aarne Talvitie, who played on a line with Kupari all week. "He's good with the puck and he can move the puck. Then it just leaves you to go to the net." 

cut.jpg

Isac Lundestrom, F, Sweden (Anaheim Ducks)

The 18-year-old had one goal in four games but arguably was Sweden's best player. Lundestrom (6-0, 185) started the week centering Olle Lycksell (Philadelphia Flyers) and Emil Bemstrom (Columbus Blue Jackets), but as the camp went on coach Tomas Monten used Lundestrom in different roles.

"I think he's been our best forward," Monten said. "He's a returning player (from the 2018 WJC), he's been playing on a high level and for sure he leads by example. I think he's been really good. He controls his line, he creates. He's one of those guys we need to lean on."

cut.jpg

Jay O'Brien, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

The 18-year-old made the biggest jump in competition of any player at the camp, going from playing against New England high school players to the best under-20 players in the world, and never looked out of place.

At times O'Brien (5-11, 185) looked like the fastest player on the ice. He also was versatile enough to play center and wing, kill penalties and play the point on the power play.

He scored two goals in a 6-5 loss to Canada and had four points (two goals, two assists) in five games.

"He can skate and his head can keep up with his feet, which is pretty special," Hastings said. "As he continues to gain some confidence you'll see him continue to get better."

cut.jpg

Mattias Samuelsson, D, United States (Buffalo Sabres)

The 18-year-old had one assist in five games, but his forte is using his size (6-4, 218), strength and long stick to eliminate attacking forwards and transition play the other way.

Hastings was a fan, saying "Steady. Unassuming. Reliable. Us boring guys kind of like that. … I appreciate him more and more every day."

cut.jpg

Ty Smith, D, Canada (New Jersey Devils)

Smith (5-11, 185) had one assist in two games but the 18-year-old defenseman showcased his smooth skating and smart play to help Canada create offense.

"He's a real bright hockey player," Hunter said. "I've talked to a lot of scouts and they call him the surveyor. He comes up the ice surveying which play am I going to make, which is the best one. … Once he got settled in and made the easy passes he was very good."

cut.jpg

Aarne Talvitie, F, Finland (New Jersey Devils)

Talvitie (5-10, 198) Finland's captain, scored four goals in five games. He had an outstanding camp at the 2018 WJSS but wasn't able to play at a level consistent enough to make Finland's 2018 WJC team. Now 19, he'll be a freshman at Penn State in the fall and feels his game has grown to where he'll have a big role at the 2019 WJC.

"I think he's taken the step ahead in his game and he has really great leadership qualities," Finland coach Jussi Ahokas said. "He plays a really great two-way game, plays hard and he can score."

cut.jpg

Honorable mention: Paul Cotter, F, United States (Vegas Golden Knights); Lukas Elvenes, F, Sweden (Vegas Golden Knights); Alex Formenton, F, Canada (Ottawa Senators); Rickard Hugg, F, Sweden; Oskari Laaksonen, D, Finland (Buffalo Sabres); Grant Mismash, F, United States (Nashville Predators); Ian Mitchell, D, Canada (Chicago Blackhawks); Joshua Norris, F, United States (San Jose Sharks); Marcus Sylvegard, F, Sweden; Fabian Zetterlund, F, Sweden (New Jersey Devils).

3 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

If I’m not mistaken, this coming season is the first year Olli will be eligible to play in the AHL. Unless you’re talking specifically about the NHL but Quinn was definitely not guaranteed a spot with the big club. 

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

If I’m not mistaken, this coming season is the first year Olli will be eligible to play in the AHL. Unless you’re talking specifically about the NHL but Quinn was definitely not guaranteed a spot with the big club. 

I only meant that QH was given the option to turn pro straight out of the draft. I hear what you're saying on OJ's eligibility. 

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Showcase is over and some are weighing in on who excelled which implies others did not.   Dobson was good, Hughes are better on D.   Bouchard - perhaps Canucks dodged a bullet there - looked slower as tournament moved on.

Anyway, for what it is worth:

Top 10 players (and honourable mentions) at WJ Summer Showcase 2018

Top 10 players at Summer Showcase, according to NHL.com

Dobson, Farabee, Hughes brothers make case for 2019 WJC roster spots

by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor
 August 4th, 2018
cut.jpg

KAMLOOPS, British Columbia -- The players, coaches and executives at the World Junior Summer Showcase know that summer hockey results have little bearing on how a season could unfold.

[RELATED: Dobson gains confidence before Islanders training camp Tkachuk leading United States in Summer Showcase]

"It's summer hockey, I don't care how many goals or assists you get," Canada coach Tim Hunter said. "Did you play the right way? If you play the right way, that's the process."

A number of players have stood out during the eight days of games and practices at Sandman Centre and made strong first impressions toward their goal of playing at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia. 

Here are NHL.com's top 10 players, in alphabetical order:

Noah Dobson, D, Canada (New York Islanders)

The 18-year-old showed poise and skill that belie his age. In his first time competing at the U-20 level he had little problem excelling at both ends of the ice. He scored two goals in Canada's 4-3 overtime win against Sweden, and had three in two games.

"He doesn't play like a 2000 (born player), he plays like a 1999," Hunter said. "He's got composure, he's got confidence, he's a big guy (6-foot-3, 180 pounds), he's got presence on the ice. That's going to bode well for giving him an opportunity to play on this team come December."

cut.jpg

NHL Tonight: 2018 WJSS

• 01:56 • August 1st, 2018

Joel Farabee, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

Farabee (6-0, 164), led the U.S. with three goals in five games. The 18-year-old forward displayed his high-end hockey sense and offensive skills on almost every shift.

"I was thoroughly impressed with the young man, his game, his mental approach," U.S. coach Mike Hastings said. "He put a lot of miles on this week, played a lot of minutes, and I didn't see his game drop off from day to day. I was really impressed with his ability to play on both sides of the puck."

cut.jpg

Jack Hughes, F, United States (2019 NHL Draft eligible)

The 17-year-old arguably was the best player. His blend of top-end skill, high hockey IQ and work ethic was obvious. He had three points (one goal, two assists) in five games, including an assist to his brother, Quintin Hughes (Vancouver Canucks) for the winning goal against Canada in a split-squad game.

Despite being the youngest player at the event, Hughes (5-9, 157) never looked out of place.

"I'm a confident kid," he said. "From playing with older kids (growing up) and being around them, I'm not really too fazed by it. Just worrying about what I do."

cut.jpg

Quintin Hughes, D, United States (Vancouver Canucks)

The 18-year-old showed a dynamic offensive skill set, including a three-assist game in a 5-4 win against Sweden. His signature moment came in overtime that game, when he carried the puck through the offensive zone, deked around his man, cut to the net and slid a pass through the crease to Joshua Norris for the winner.

Hughes (5-10, 170) finished with a U.S.-high six points (one goal, five assists) in five games.

"He likes to play the game and he plays it at a pace," Hastings said. "His ability to move laterally makes him really difficult to defend. I was happy with the way he played throughout the camp."

cut.jpg

Rasmus Kupari, F, Finland (Los Angeles Kings)

Kupari (6-1, 183) is one of three returning players from the 2018 WJC team. The 18-year-old forward had four assists in five games playing center and right wing on Finland's top line.

"He's a very good skater, he's fast and he's a very skillful player," said Finland forward Aarne Talvitie, who played on a line with Kupari all week. "He's good with the puck and he can move the puck. Then it just leaves you to go to the net." 

cut.jpg

Isac Lundestrom, F, Sweden (Anaheim Ducks)

The 18-year-old had one goal in four games but arguably was Sweden's best player. Lundestrom (6-0, 185) started the week centering Olle Lycksell (Philadelphia Flyers) and Emil Bemstrom (Columbus Blue Jackets), but as the camp went on coach Tomas Monten used Lundestrom in different roles.

"I think he's been our best forward," Monten said. "He's a returning player (from the 2018 WJC), he's been playing on a high level and for sure he leads by example. I think he's been really good. He controls his line, he creates. He's one of those guys we need to lean on."

cut.jpg

Jay O'Brien, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

The 18-year-old made the biggest jump in competition of any player at the camp, going from playing against New England high school players to the best under-20 players in the world, and never looked out of place.

At times O'Brien (5-11, 185) looked like the fastest player on the ice. He also was versatile enough to play center and wing, kill penalties and play the point on the power play.

He scored two goals in a 6-5 loss to Canada and had four points (two goals, two assists) in five games.

"He can skate and his head can keep up with his feet, which is pretty special," Hastings said. "As he continues to gain some confidence you'll see him continue to get better."

cut.jpg

Mattias Samuelsson, D, United States (Buffalo Sabres)

The 18-year-old had one assist in five games, but his forte is using his size (6-4, 218), strength and long stick to eliminate attacking forwards and transition play the other way.

Hastings was a fan, saying "Steady. Unassuming. Reliable. Us boring guys kind of like that. … I appreciate him more and more every day."

cut.jpg

Ty Smith, D, Canada (New Jersey Devils)

Smith (5-11, 185) had one assist in two games but the 18-year-old defenseman showcased his smooth skating and smart play to help Canada create offense.

"He's a real bright hockey player," Hunter said. "I've talked to a lot of scouts and they call him the surveyor. He comes up the ice surveying which play am I going to make, which is the best one. … Once he got settled in and made the easy passes he was very good."

cut.jpg

Aarne Talvitie, F, Finland (New Jersey Devils)

Talvitie (5-10, 198) Finland's captain, scored four goals in five games. He had an outstanding camp at the 2018 WJSS but wasn't able to play at a level consistent enough to make Finland's 2018 WJC team. Now 19, he'll be a freshman at Penn State in the fall and feels his game has grown to where he'll have a big role at the 2019 WJC.

"I think he's taken the step ahead in his game and he has really great leadership qualities," Finland coach Jussi Ahokas said. "He plays a really great two-way game, plays hard and he can score."

cut.jpg

Honorable mention: Paul Cotter, F, United States (Vegas Golden Knights); Lukas Elvenes, F, Sweden (Vegas Golden Knights); Alex Formenton, F, Canada (Ottawa Senators); Rickard Hugg, F, Sweden; Oskari Laaksonen, D, Finland (Buffalo Sabres); Grant Mismash, F, United States (Nashville Predators); Ian Mitchell, D, Canada (Chicago Blackhawks); Joshua Norris, F, United States (San Jose Sharks); Marcus Sylvegard, F, Sweden; Fabian Zetterlund, F, Sweden (New Jersey Devils).

Farabee looked excellent, Wahlstrom not so much. Short meaningless tournament, but it just makes feel better about my assessment in not wanting to draft him :P

O'Brien looked good, I thought him getting picked at 19th was quite early, but looks like Philly has found another gem.

It was good to finally get a real look at Hughes in a full game. Risky style of play, but looks dangerous and love that he wants the puck on stick to make things happen when it matters. Also nice to see him engaged during thr physical play, hopefully it's not only because of him defending his younger brother. He will certainly need a good partner that will be able to complement his game defensively and hopefully long term, that solution will be a Gudbranson or even a Chatfield, Brisebois or Woo (but I think Woo and Juolevi might be a better pairing).

As for Woo, didn't get to see too much of him, but that hit...wow.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Farabee looked excellent, Wahlstrom not so much. Short meaningless tournament, but it just makes feel better about my assessment in not wanting to draft him :P

O'Brien looked good, I thought him getting picked at 19th was quite early, but looks like Philly has found another gem.

It was good to finally get a real look at Hughes in a full game. Risky style of play, but looks dangerous and love that he wants the puck on stick to make things happen when it matters. Also nice to see him engaged during thr physical play, hopefully it's not only because of him defending his younger brother. He will certainly need a good partner that will be able to complement his game defensively and hopefully long term, that solution will be a Gudbranson or even a Chatfield, Brisebois or Woo (but I think Woo and Juolevi might be a better pairing).

As for Woo, didn't get to see too much of him, but that hit...wow.

Great update.  Watching from afar on a feed cannot give what you got up close.

Archived