The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] DiPietro could stick in NHL if he has a good camp

thejazz97

Demko? :( 

I mean, I am pretty high on DiPietro and legit thought it'd be at least a few years before he put his hat in the ring. I think one more year to stew at least is fine. Demko at this point has been pro enough I trust him to be backup, DiPietro is still super young and can be protected a bit more. But he might be way too good for Juniors. This is definitely the most interesting camp we've had in a few years. If DiPietro jumps Demko I'd be incredibly surprised. BUT, what if management goes full rehaul and both Markstrom and Nilsson are gone :o Super far fetched but hey, I am not against it.

8 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

He has to mean the Canucks are considering turning him pro this season. I don't doubt DiPietro's talent but throwing a 19 year old goalie behind a shoddy defense seems like a recipe for torpedoing his development. 

Edit: Nevermind. Forgot he can't play in the AHL. 

Whenever a statement includes the wording "I'm hearing rumblings"........it indicates that the person making the statement has no basis in actual fact for their claim. When I hear rumblings, I usually head to the can.

Highly doubt that Benning would let DiPietro leapfrog Demko. That doesn't make sense. I could see both Demko and DiPietro getting NHL games, but purely based on play, it's Demko's spot to lose, not DiPietro's.

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

@NUCKER67 @Provost

DiPietro can't play in the AHL. If he gets sent down, he goes to junior. Plus, this is only if he has a stellar camp. Demko can start in the AHL fine.

I didn’t say he could play in the AHL.

I said I can’t see him jumping Demko.  That means the idea of leaving Demko in the minors while have DiPietro as the backup (which I assume is your contention) seems highly unlikely.

So, it's NHL or back to Junior? That seems like quite the leap.

What if Demko outplays DiPietro at camp?

Seems fishy to me. With Markstrom and Nilsson already the goalies, why would they say the Canucks are seriously considering bringing DiPietro onto the team?

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I didn’t say he could play in the AHL.

I said I can’t see him jumping Demko.  That means the idea of leaving Demko in the minors while have DiPietro as the backup (which I assume is your contention) seems highly unlikely.

It's not like management is new to this idea. They did the same thing with Virtanen and McCann.

That being said, I think it's highly unlikely DiPietro outplays two of Markstromm, Nilsson, and Demko in camp to begin with.

Archived