The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victim Mentality - Universities teaching to see bias here there is none

Rob_Zepp

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The wife of the legendary military sniper, Chris Kyle, her open letter to Nike:

Nike, I love your gear, but you exhaust my spirit on this one. Your new ad with Colin Kapernick, I get the message, but that sacrificing everything thing…. It just doesn’t play out here. Sacrificing what exactly? A career? I’ve done that both times I chose to stay home and be with my kids instead of continuing my business climb… and it wasn’t sacrificing everything. It was sacrificing one career and some money and it was because of what I believe in and more importantly, who I believe in.

At best, that is all Colin sacrificed… some money and it’s debatable if he really lost his career over it. Maybe he sacrificed the respect of some people while he gained the respect of others. Or maybe he used one career to springboard himself into a different career when the first was waning. I don’t know. What I do know is, he gained popularity and magazine covers he likely wouldn’t have gotten without getting on his knees or as you say, “believing in something.” I’m also thinking the irony is that while I am not privy to the numbers, it’s likely he gained a lucrative Nike contract. So yeah… that whole “sacrificing everything” is insulting to those who really have sacrificed everything.

You want to talk about someone in the NFL sacrificing everything? Pat Tillman. NFL STARTING, not benched, player who left to join the Army and died for it. THAT is sacrificing everything for something you believe in.

How about other warriors? Warriors who will not be on magazine covers, who will not get lucrative contracts and millions of followers from their actions and who have truly sacrificed everything. They did it because they believed in something. Take it from me, when I say they sacrificed everything, they also sacrificed the lives of their loved ones who will never be the same. THAT is sacrificing everything for something they believe in.

Did you get us talking? Yeah, you did. But, your brand recognition was strong enough. Did you teach the next generation of consumers about true grit? Not that I can see.

Taking a stand, or rather a knee, against the flag which has covered the caskets of so many who actually did sacrifice everything for something they believe in, that we all believe in? Well, the irony of your ad..it almost leaves me speechless. Were you trying to be insulting?

Maybe you are banking on the fact we won’t take the time to see your lack of judgement in using words that just don’t fit. Maybe you are also banking on us not seeing Nike as kneeling before the flag. Or maybe you want us to see you exactly that way. I don’t know. All I know is, I was actually in the market for some new kicks and at least for now, I’ve never been more grateful for Under Armour.

Can you elaborate what you are trying to say? Because all I see is another person invoking Pat Tillman's name when it's clear that neither he nor his widowed wife had any desire to see his sacrifice be politicized.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Can you elaborate what you are trying to say? Because all I see is another person invoking Pat Tillman's name when it's clear that neither he nor his widowed wife had any desire to see his sacrifice be politicized.

Perspective.

Just because someone doesn't want to be called a hero doesn't mean they are not.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Utterly not true.  Anyone can go to university.

That's utterly not true. If you can't get a student loan, you can't go to university. It's just that simple. I've known a few people who have done very well in high school, but due to financial constraints weren't able to afford to make it to university.

I am an immigrant and have re-educated myself three times, In every case I worked full time and went nights and weekends.  The last two times I had a family and in the very last time, started a business, and coached my kids’ sports.  It is all about determination, organization, and application.  

Good for you. Your simplification of the situation isn't accurate and represents only a portion of the school going public in this country.

There is no reason why people should be forced to pay for the higher education of others.

So is there also no reason why "people" should be "forced" to pay for the elementary and secondary schooling of others? What about hospitalization and health care? Fire-fighting? Policing?

What exactly is it about higher education that should be left out of public support?

I find what Kapernick is doing disrespectful just as I would anyone who doesn't remove their hat or STFU when the anthem is being played at a game. That being said I also think he's well within his rights to do so. THAT BEING SAID, I doubt there is an NFL conspiracy against him, he's now a mediocre QB at best and with that kind of baggage I wouldn't want him on my team. 

Plus the whole Ravens and his girlfriend dissing them situation, really has no one to blame but himself that he doesn't have an NFL career.

It's like a lot of other situations these days, mediocre people playing the victim and becoming even more famous, Colin Kaepernick, Anita Sarkeesian.... Asia Argento, lol that sure as hell backfired, I know I know... context on that one. I didn't know who she was before the whole Harvey Weinstein thing... hell I didn't know who Harvey Weinstein was either.

31 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I find what Kapernick is doing disrespectful just as I would anyone who doesn't remove their hat or STFU when the anthem is being played at a game. That being said I also think he's well within his rights to do so. THAT BEING SAID, I doubt there is an NFL conspiracy against him, he's now a mediocre QB at best and with that kind of baggage I wouldn't want him on my team. 

We shall find out in the trial if there is any evidence that the NFL did collude to keep him out. It will be interesting to see what gets dragged out into the light once the court start subpoening emails and text messages from owners. Should be fun for just about everyone to see the shoe on the other foot (regarding players and owners) 

Plus the whole Ravens and his girlfriend dissing them situation, really has no one to blame but himself that he doesn't have an NFL career.

I don't get this argument and it certainly hasn't stopped Brent Grimes from getting a job. Should Mike Hoffman be blamed for his gf's alleged actions. Personally if I were an employer I would not be trying to punish someone for the actions of their spouse or partner. 

It's like a lot of other situations these days, mediocre people playing the victim and becoming even more famous, Colin Kaepernick, Anita Sarkeesian.... Asia Argento, lol that sure as hell backfired, I know I know... context on that one.

Depends on your definition of "mediocre people" but Kaepernick was IMO at least one of the 30 best players in the world at his particular skillset. He was also paid millions to do his job and had taken a team to a SB. May I ask what accolades you have achieved in your life to call him mediocre? 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Michael Jackson did it in a positive way with his video/song Black or White

Poor choice of comparison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3026714/Michael-Jackson-paid-200m-hush-money-20-sexual-assault-victims-say-lawyers-two-claimants-prepare-sue-King-Pop-s-estate.html

"Two men who claim they were molested as young boys by Michael Jackson are expected to find out on Tuesday if they will be allowed to sue for a slice of the late King Of Pop's $1.5 billion estate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_relationships_of_Michael_Jackson

"In 1993, Jackson was accused of child sexual abuse by Evan Chandler, on behalf of his then-13-year-old child, Jordan Chandler. To the father's disapproval, his son had become friends with the musician in May 1992. Allegedly under the influence of a controversial sedative administered by Evan Chandler, a dentist, his son said that Jackson had touched his penis.[75] Evan Chandler was tape-recorded threatening to damage the singer's music career, and engaged Jackson in unsuccessful negotiations to resolve the issue with a financial settlement.[76][77] Jordan Chandler then told a psychiatrist and later police that he and Jackson had engaged in acts of kissing, masturbation and oral sex.[77][78] Jackson settled a civil suit out of court with the Chandler family and their legal team for $22,000,000 in January 1994. After Jordan Chandler refused to testify in the criminal proceedings, the state closed its criminal investigation citing lack of evidence, and Jackson was not charged with a crime. After Jackson's death, Evan Chandler committed suicide.[79] "

"

2003 child sexual abuse allegations[edit]

Further accusations of child sexual abuse were made in 2003, by 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo.[80] The allegations came after Jackson and the boy appeared in the documentary Living with Michael Jackson, in which the entertainer stated that he shared his bed with children in a non-sexual fashion.[81][82] The musician was subsequently indicted on four counts of molesting a minor, four counts of intoxicating a minor, one count of abduction, and one count of conspiring to hold the boy and his family captive at Neverland Ranch.[83] During the five-month trial, Jackson faced allegations of child molestation and assertions that he had attempted to abduct the Arvizo family in a hot air balloon.[84] He denied all the charges and family members proclaimed that he was the victim of an extortion attempt.[85] One friend, Firpo Carr, expressed amazement at the allegations leveled against the singer, who at the time was living at Neverland Ranch. "I'm surprised they haven't accused him of bestiality because he also has a zoo there. I mean, it gets ridiculous after a while."[86] On June 13, 2005, the jury found Jackson not guilty on all charges.[87]

"

2013 and 2014 child sexual abuse allegations[edit]

In May 2013, choreographer Wade Robson filed a civil lawsuit against Jackson's estate for child sexual abuse. The date for the hearing which would determine whether or not Robson could sue Jackson's estate was scheduled for June 2, 2014.[88]

Robson met Jackson when he was 5 years old. In 2005, he had testified in Jackson's defense during his child molestation trial. At that trial, Jackson's former housekeeper Blanca Francia had testified that she had witnessed Robson showering with Jackson when Robson was 8 or 9 years old.[89]

However, in his 2013 filing, Robson claimed that by the time he was 7 years old, he was regularly having sleepovers at Jackson's Neverland Ranch and Jackson's homes in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, which lasted until he was 14, and that Jackson sexually abused him throughout the 7-year period. Blanca Francia agreed to testify on Robson's behalf in the case.[90] The attorney for Jackson's estate described Robson's claim as "outrageous and pathetic".[91]

In May 2014, a second man, Jimmy Safechuck, filed a lawsuit against the Jackson estate alleging that Jackson had sexually abused him between the ages of "10 to about 15".[92] Jackson had met Safechuck in 1987 and Safechuck, then 10, was featured in the commercial of Jackson's Pepsi ad advertising his upcoming Bad World Tour at the time. In July 2017, Safechuck's case against the singer's production companies charging them with neglect was dismissed.[93]

In December 2017, Robson's case against Jackson's corporations were dropped, with Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff stating the corporations were not liable to any damages against Robson.[94] Two years prior, Beckloff dismissed an earlier lawsuit against Jackson's estate, stating Robson waited too long to file.[9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_child_sexual_abuse_accusations_against_Michael_Jackson

"In January 1994 Jackson reached a financial settlement for $23,000,000 with the Chandlers to resolve the matter and in September a criminal investigation was closed. On November 5, 2009, Evan Chandler committed suicide in his apartment in Jersey City, New Jersey. "

Comparing a video done by a child molester to an athlete that didn't stand for an anthem but does donate money and time to the following charities is quite a stretch.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/16390662/colin-kaepernick-1-million-donation-goal-charity

His home site

http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge-recap/

One Pledge. $1 Million.

30+ Organizations.

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

Poor choice of comparison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3026714/Michael-Jackson-paid-200m-hush-money-20-sexual-assault-victims-say-lawyers-two-claimants-prepare-sue-King-Pop-s-estate.html

"Two men who claim they were molested as young boys by Michael Jackson are expected to find out on Tuesday if they will be allowed to sue for a slice of the late King Of Pop's $1.5 billion estate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_relationships_of_Michael_Jackson

"In 1993, Jackson was accused of child sexual abuse by Evan Chandler, on behalf of his then-13-year-old child, Jordan Chandler. To the father's disapproval, his son had become friends with the musician in May 1992. Allegedly under the influence of a controversial sedative administered by Evan Chandler, a dentist, his son said that Jackson had touched his penis.[75] Evan Chandler was tape-recorded threatening to damage the singer's music career, and engaged Jackson in unsuccessful negotiations to resolve the issue with a financial settlement.[76][77] Jordan Chandler then told a psychiatrist and later police that he and Jackson had engaged in acts of kissing, masturbation and oral sex.[77][78] Jackson settled a civil suit out of court with the Chandler family and their legal team for $22,000,000 in January 1994. After Jordan Chandler refused to testify in the criminal proceedings, the state closed its criminal investigation citing lack of evidence, and Jackson was not charged with a crime. After Jackson's death, Evan Chandler committed suicide.[79] "

"

2003 child sexual abuse allegations[edit]

Further accusations of child sexual abuse were made in 2003, by 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo.[80] The allegations came after Jackson and the boy appeared in the documentary Living with Michael Jackson, in which the entertainer stated that he shared his bed with children in a non-sexual fashion.[81][82] The musician was subsequently indicted on four counts of molesting a minor, four counts of intoxicating a minor, one count of abduction, and one count of conspiring to hold the boy and his family captive at Neverland Ranch.[83] During the five-month trial, Jackson faced allegations of child molestation and assertions that he had attempted to abduct the Arvizo family in a hot air balloon.[84] He denied all the charges and family members proclaimed that he was the victim of an extortion attempt.[85] One friend, Firpo Carr, expressed amazement at the allegations leveled against the singer, who at the time was living at Neverland Ranch. "I'm surprised they haven't accused him of bestiality because he also has a zoo there. I mean, it gets ridiculous after a while."[86] On June 13, 2005, the jury found Jackson not guilty on all charges.[87]

"

2013 and 2014 child sexual abuse allegations[edit]

In May 2013, choreographer Wade Robson filed a civil lawsuit against Jackson's estate for child sexual abuse. The date for the hearing which would determine whether or not Robson could sue Jackson's estate was scheduled for June 2, 2014.[88]

Robson met Jackson when he was 5 years old. In 2005, he had testified in Jackson's defense during his child molestation trial. At that trial, Jackson's former housekeeper Blanca Francia had testified that she had witnessed Robson showering with Jackson when Robson was 8 or 9 years old.[89]

However, in his 2013 filing, Robson claimed that by the time he was 7 years old, he was regularly having sleepovers at Jackson's Neverland Ranch and Jackson's homes in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, which lasted until he was 14, and that Jackson sexually abused him throughout the 7-year period. Blanca Francia agreed to testify on Robson's behalf in the case.[90] The attorney for Jackson's estate described Robson's claim as "outrageous and pathetic".[91]

In May 2014, a second man, Jimmy Safechuck, filed a lawsuit against the Jackson estate alleging that Jackson had sexually abused him between the ages of "10 to about 15".[92] Jackson had met Safechuck in 1987 and Safechuck, then 10, was featured in the commercial of Jackson's Pepsi ad advertising his upcoming Bad World Tour at the time. In July 2017, Safechuck's case against the singer's production companies charging them with neglect was dismissed.[93]

In December 2017, Robson's case against Jackson's corporations were dropped, with Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff stating the corporations were not liable to any damages against Robson.[94] Two years prior, Beckloff dismissed an earlier lawsuit against Jackson's estate, stating Robson waited too long to file.[9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_child_sexual_abuse_accusations_against_Michael_Jackson

"In January 1994 Jackson reached a financial settlement for $23,000,000 with the Chandlers to resolve the matter and in September a criminal investigation was closed. On November 5, 2009, Evan Chandler committed suicide in his apartment in Jersey City, New Jersey. "

Comparing a video done by a child molester to an athlete that didn't stand for an anthem but does donate money and time to the following charities is quite a stretch.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/16390662/colin-kaepernick-1-million-donation-goal-charity

His home site

http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge-recap/

One Pledge. $1 Million.

30+ Organizations.

"allegations"

It wasn't a character comparison - it was about doing something positive.

Protesting during the national anthem is not positive - specially when that represents the very reason you have the privilege and opportunity to play a game and get paid for it. 

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Speaking of insults smh

That there is exactly the problem.

I'm sorry, but I have a pretty idea what people go through on a daily basis.

I grew up in the world when job postings had "single white males need not apply".

Because of the colour of my skin, some people label me as a Neo Nazi racist chauvinistic pig.

He did it wrong because he brought more hatred into the pot.

The sooner people stop labeling each other on the basis of the colour of their skin the sooner we can move forward.

Sorry? Is there something "insulting" about being called a "random white guy"?

I'm a random white guy and I take no umbrage to being referred to as such, but then, I'm not a snowflake. (BTW: That is an insult. Just so you know the difference)

Must have been quite the place you grew up in. I grew up in Prince George, which is a place regularly bashed here on Vancouver-centric CDC, but I never had much trouble getting a job and I never experienced the restrictions, nor the vilification because of my skin color that caused you such extreme suffering. I'm surprised you didn't move to somewhere more enlightened....like Williams Lake....

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

"allegations"

It wasn't a character comparison - it was about doing something positive.

Protesting during the national anthem is not positive - specially when that represents the very reason you have the privilege and opportunity to play a game and get paid for it. 

Allegations that brought a $22 million settlement/pay off in Jan 1994.

CK used his position of quarterback to positively raise awareness to ongoing tragedy, and has since used money he earned to help people. 

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

He did it wrong because he brought more hatred into the pot.

Asking the opinion of an army veteran on how to protest in a respectful way is bringing more hatred?

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Um, what? Lol

24 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Asking the opinion of an army veteran on how to protest in a respectful way is bringing more hatred?

Um, what? Lol

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I said Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem was a negative thing to do and brought more hatred/division.

LOL? watch the video. 

Sigh...

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry? Is there something "insulting" about being called a "random white guy"?

I'm a random white guy and I take no umbrage to being referred to as such, but then, I'm not a snowflake. (BTW: That is an insult. Just so you know the difference)

Must have been quite the place you grew up in. I grew up in Prince George, which is a place regularly bashed here on Vancouver-centric CDC, but I never had much trouble getting a job and I never experienced the restrictions, nor the vilification because of my skin color that caused you such extreme suffering. I'm surprised you didn't move to somewhere more enlightened....like Williams Lake....

I'm sorry that you just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I said Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem was a negative thing to do and brought more hatred/division.

LOL? watch the video. 

Sigh...

Kaepernick originally protested by sitting. A teammate, who was an army veteran, pointed out that taking a knee is a more respectful form of protest so Kaepernick followed his advice. Considering kneeling is also one of the most subservient stances a person can take, I'm not seeing the hatred. 

What exactly did Black or White accomplish? 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Kaepernick originally protested by sitting. A teammate, who was an army veteran, pointed out that taking a knee is a more respectful form of protest so Kaepernick followed his advice. Considering kneeling is also one of the most subservient stances a person can take, I'm not seeing the hatred. 

So what?  It's still "negative" - what part of that don't you understand?

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

What exactly did Black or White accomplish? 

It was a "positive" message.

Can you hear me now?

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Can you hear me now?

I hear you. If a black man has a message, it's more palatable for you if he's singing and dancing while he delivers it. Got it. 

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Can you hear me now?

You seem to be a bit confused about how protesting works. The idea is to draw attention to what you see as injustice.

If everyone had just written songs about how brown and white go together so well instead of making a lot of noise about it, Trump never would have backed off on his racist policy of separating families at the southern border.

Archived