The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victim Mentality - Universities teaching to see bias here there is none

Rob_Zepp

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see the math.  However, what incentive does our government have, in this circumstance, to not encourage more foreign students?  More foreign students equals tax dollars saved.

I'll add as well that, granted, universities are incentivized to ensure they have a certain number of international students each year for funding requirements, but they are far from using unethical practices in order to do so. This is all hearsay and unfounded anecdotal evidence. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

The incentive is that a diverse population enriches the experience for everyone to have different perspectives, culture, etc. 

The other thing to note about Canadian education specifically is that our universities have a limit to the amount of international students they can admit. So if a school reaches the limit (I think it's around 20% of the student body, but I'd have to double check), that school is forced to shut down international admission for that specific intake session. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/international-students-universities-ontario-tuition-1.4199489

“Fees from international students are becoming increasingly crucial to the bottom line at universities across Ontario, research by CBC News reveals.”

it it just seems to me that having more foreign students is fiscally better for both our universities and our governments.  I have a difficult time trusting established institutions doing what’s best for the people, over doing what’s best for themselves.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/international-students-universities-ontario-tuition-1.4199489

“Fees from international students are becoming increasingly crucial to the bottom line at universities across Ontario, research by CBC News reveals.”

it it just seems to me that having more foreign students is fiscally better for both our universities and our governments.  I have a difficult time trusting established institutions doing what’s best for the people, over doing what’s best for themselves.  

This article does show that the number of international students in Ontario has been increasing since 2010, but is this not to be expected as Canadian education around the world becomes more recognized?

Again, international tuition is vital for any university, but it does not make our institutions enact improper requirements/guidelines in order to admit them (i.e. take Canadian seats, allow for course choice over domestic students, etc.).

I also just can't agree with an international student's lament that they must pay more than a domestic student; their presence requires extra support and programs in a variety of ways, which costs money, but they are also not paying into our society in so many other ways that helps subsidize their tuition costs, which is why they pay the full amount. Simple. 

Edit: @Alfliveslastly, it's important to also note that Canadian demographics are projected to shrink dramatically in the coming years, so this also plays into recruitment efforts abroad. 

10 hours ago, Violator said:

Look at germany they have something like 12000 people graduating medical school.

Almost everything eurpoean is better when it comes to education.

Germany has 82 million people as a population, higher numbers of spaces and graduates should not be a surprise.

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This article does show that the number of international students in Ontario has been increasing since 2010, but is this not to be expected as Canadian education around the world becomes more recognized?

Again, international tuition is vital for any university, but it does not make our institutions enact improper requirements/guidelines in order to admit them (i.e. take Canadian seats, allow for course choice over domestic students, etc.).

I also just can't agree with an international student's lament that they must pay more than a domestic student; their presence requires extra support and programs in a variety of ways, which costs money, but they are also not paying into our society in so many other ways that helps subsidize their tuition costs, which is why they pay the full amount. Simple. 

Edit: @Alfliveslastly, it's important to also note that Canadian demographics are projected to shrink dramatically in the coming years, so this also plays into recruitment efforts abroad. 

Well said.

At the Institution I work at, International students are not seen as intruders, stealing spots from local students. They're seen as part of the puzzle to the success of the College and the entire arrangement is seen as a win-win situation.

FWIW, recruitment efforts are made in a lot of areas, not just Internationally. We have staff making regular visits to First Nations. (We have Campuses from Haida Gwaii to Smithers; covering territory inhabited by dozens of FN) We also visit the local high schools several times a year.

16 hours ago, riffraff said:

Imo if I’m hired on for a job position, a new position for me, I wouldn’t expect to be paid the same as the employee who has gained the experience and trust of the company.

part of the interview process is to come to agreements for such terms.

Sure enough but if you found you were paid differently due to your race or sex/sexual preference(s) that would be wrong.   However, it would also be wrong to NOT hire you if you were qualified because you didn't fit a quota system of some race or sex/sexual preference(s).    That is what this issue is about.

15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Good ones. "Drama Queen" works too.

Not as well....as pointing out other people's hysteria where not is required doesn't quite fit either term you used (and you asked for one word too boot).     It is also interesting that you use a derogatory homosexual term to convey a message about messaging easily offended people.   Someone, somewhere (I can think of a few on this board) would find that offensive.   It is VERY difficult to say anything and not offend someone.   Last time I looked, other than in Canada now, it was not illegal to offend someone....nor are you born with a right to not be offended.

Cheers.  :)

10 hours ago, Fateless said:

I may disagree with you on pipeline issues @Rob_Zepp, but we're both on the same page with this issue. I personally dislike the concept of affirmative action or however you want to describe what UCLA is doing. 

Ah, none of that really matters @Fateless - as long as we are aligned that the hockey season cannot come soon enough all is good.   :)   

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not as well....as pointing out other people's hysteria where not is required doesn't quite fit either term you used (and you asked for one word too boot).     It is also interesting that you use a derogatory homosexual term to convey a message about messaging easily offended people.   Someone, somewhere (I can think of a few on this board) would find that offensive.   It is VERY difficult to say anything and not offend someone.   Last time I looked, other than in Canada now, it was not illegal to offend someone....nor are you born with a right to not be offended.

Cheers.  :)

Funnily enough, when you add "drama" before "queen", it's not a slur against gays. Nice try though. 

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Funnily enough, when you add "drama" before "queen", it's not a slur against gays. Nice try though. 

Uh, ok.   Thanks for the education.  Wasn't trying anything.   It isn't a term I am all that familiar with....see it on CDC a lot though.   

23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The perpetually offended are now running universities - this is a sad state of affairs

UCLA's infatuation with diversity is a costly diversion from its true mission

By HEATHER MAC DONALD
SEP 02, 2018 | 4:05 AM

UCLA's infatuation with diversity is a costly diversion from its true mission
UCLA students rally to express their concerns about the lack of racial diversity in the student body on November 15, 2006. (Los Angeles Times)

If Albert Einstein applied for a professorship at UCLA today, would he be hired? The answer is not clear. Starting this fall, all faculty applicants to UCLA must document their contributions to “equity, diversity and inclusion.” (Next year, existing UCLA faculty will also have to submit an “equity, diversity and inclusion statement” in order to be considered for promotion, following the lead of five other UC campuses.) The mandatory statements will be credited in the same manner as the rest of an applicant’s portfolio, according to UCLA’s equity, diversity and inclusion office.

Some people may disagree with you....

image.jpeg.af57828f82e1ed32cdd3d05fc3ac607c.jpeg

21 hours ago, riffraff said:

I disagree.

if I do the same job as the next person but outperform that person, I should be paid more.

if you want what you describe, join a union and slack off with the rest of them.

I agree with this.  If someone is better at their job than me I expect them to get paid more than me, just like if I am better at my job than a co-worker I should be paid more.  One guy at my work knows much more mechanics than me which makes him in turn be more valuable since we don't have to call an actual mechanic, so I fully expect him to get paid.  One guy is seriously the biggest slacker, I can't stand working with him and he brings more personal drama than I can handle and is so innefficient I almost can do as much work as myself than with him yet he is within a dollar of me and I constantly have to carry his slack, I would expect to be paid more than him since my job brings the company more money than what he contributes to the company. 

If someone is hired and has much more skills and knowledge than me then yea he should be paid more, I have zero issue with that aspect.

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

With me?   I didn't write the article.

I do, however, agree with a lot of the material in it.   I also know many who don't want to earn their way in life and/or blame others for their misfortune are becoming increasingly common.   Further, those who really need societal assistance are not getting it due to those who are whiny and organized.   Your example above, like your hero Suzuki, is a multi-millionaire who reportedly is finally being used by Nike on the contract they have been paying him on since 2011.   On June 4, 2014, Kaepernick signed a six-year contract extension with the 49ers, worth up to $126 million, including $54 million in potential guarantees, and $13 million fully guaranteed.

Clearly, he sacrificed everything and will have to get by on what may be as little as $13 million plus previous monies and, oh yeah, that Nike endorsement cash.   What a noble guy.   How will he manage?

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I believe I am a very tolerant person. I invariably treat others the way I want to be treated myself. Sometimes I chuckle at what could be considered a racist joke. For example my favourite punk rock band NOFX, their frontman Mike Burkett, known as fat Mike is a hero of mine. His ability to link words and the way they make me feel is unbelievable. He preaches that we care about each other , the planet and mocks religion and politics, things I believe are control mechanisms. Any way I purchased their latest CD Backstage passport. Mike is of Jewish ancestry and states this in his songs and on stage. In between songs he banters. In one of these episodes he jokes , why did Hitler take his own life ....he got the gas bill. His best mate Melivin then replies , you should not joke about this my dad died in a death camp ....hell fell off a guide tower. Should I be offended because he joked about something terrible ? Does it make it all right that Mike is a Jew and making a joke about something terrible that happen to his people ? I have no answers to these questions but I do know this as long as one treats others the way they want to be treated themselves that is the best one can do. While I do not totally agree with premise that people are easily offended ,like all human traits , there are some humans that seem to be offended by the simplest remarks.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great post. The man sacrificed his NFL career and brought so much exposure and $ to the cause of police brutality against African-Americans. 

The ones who pooh-pooh his sacrifice likely haven't done anything for anyone else.

29 minutes ago, Toews said:

Great post. The man sacrificed his NFL career and brought so much exposure and $ to the cause of police brutality against African-Americans. 

The ones who pooh-pooh his sacrifice likely haven't done anything for anyone else.

I sure would love to see Kaepernick come play for our BC Lions.  He might just love our team, our league, and our city.  He likely will stay home, and continue his fight to improve things down there, but (if he ever gets tired of being mistreated) he’s more than welcome here.  

When Kap was playing, and before all this bad stuff that happened to him, I thought he was a Jewish person.  His not getting to play is just stupid.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I sure would love to see Kaepernick come play for our BC Lions.  He might just love our team, our league, and our city.  He likely will stay home, and continue his fight to improve things down there, but (if he ever gets tired of being mistreated) he’s more than welcome here.  

Cheers. We may not agree on a lot but I think we can both agree that a man who peacefully protested is not worthy of such scorn. He tried to do his best to not have his message be taken the wrong way by consulting with a military veteran on what would be the most respectful way to protest. He followed the advice to a tee but he has still been demonized, just way too much hatred in the US.

Archived