The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Erik Karlsson, Francis Perron to Sharks for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, conditional 2020 1st-round pick, conditional 2019 2nd-round pick

13 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Pretty easy to hate the Sharks the last decade.

But they should be fun to watch right now.

I agree. EK is a pleasure to watch and having him in the West means we will get to watch him more. Hope to see SJ pounding LA and Doughty along with Vegas. 

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'm not sure what people think one year of a player, even an elite dman is going to return? The answer is whatever the market bears. We will never know what other offers were but I doubt they were better for one year of EK. Reports are the Sens wanted Heiskanen from Dallas and Sergechev from Tampa. Both were no go. I think you take what the market gives you and rip the bandaid. Holding on to EK till the deadline, risking injury and getting nothing would be catastrophic. I think the EK deal standing alone is fine. It's when you couple it with a brutal, brutal Duchesne deal and the stupidity of not giving up their pick in July that makes it looks so bad. This whole year the spotlight will be about the pick going to the Avs. Again, should of ripped the bandaid off in July and given up the pick then. Make this year about the rebuild and give the fans hope looking forward to the draft lottery. What a mess. If Dorian wasnt such a puppet for the owner he would of been long gone. 

The fact they painted themselves into a bad spot through mismanaging the situation doesn’t excuse it or make the return any better.

The price for Karlsson would have been at dramatically higher at last trade deadline.  The whole extension issue wouldn’t have been on the table at all.  Contending teams would have had two playoff runs with him minimum without an extension.

The next highest price would have been to Tampa Bay earlier this offseason.  All reports where that he was willing to extend with them (and many reports indicated he had agreed to an extension).  Ottawa then kept trying to change the deal until Yzerman walked in frustration.

Ottawa got as little possible out of Karlsson as can have been imagined, there is just no way around it.  When the dust settles, it is as possible that we got more for Burrows than they end up with from Karlsson.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

The fact they painted themselves into a bad spot through mismanaging the situation doesn’t excuse it or make the return any better.

The price for Karlsson would have been at dramatically higher at last trade deadline.  The whole extension issue wouldn’t have been on the table at all.  Contending teams would have had two playoff runs with him minimum without an extension.

The next highest price would have been to Tampa Bay earlier this offseason.  All reports where that he was willing to extend with them (and many reports indicated he had agreed to an extension).  Ottawa then kept trying to change the deal until Yzerman walked in frustration.

Ottawa got as little possible out of Karlsson as can have been imagined, there is just no way around it.  When the dust settles, it is as possible that we got more for Burrows than they end up with from Karlsson.

I do agree Dorian pushed the deal too long. Agreed, last years deadline was probably the ideal time to make the trade. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Well he is doing his best to polish that turd, but it is just a list of "what ifs".

Ottawa got two NHLers for their roster, that doesn't equate to quality like he is suggesting.  De Melo could have been had for free as a UFA and garnered zero interest around the league, he probably couldn't crack our D corps as a top 6 and ours is terrible.  Tierney is a 2C like Sutter is a 2C... only if you have absolutely no other choice.  He is a solid 3C, and those are a dime a dozen because that is a prime roster spot for veterans to lose their jobs to kids who need development minutes but still not ready for a top 6 role.

The two picks are almost certainly going to be REALLY late in their rounds.  A 25th or so pick is not in the same stratosphere as a top 10 pick, and is not likely to ever become an impact NHL player.

You don't get to count the two conditional draft picks as they are imaginary, and highly unlikely to materialize.

The dream that Karlsson is going to re-sign back in Ottawa is nonsense, Ottawa fans are keeping that thought in mind to keep from jumping into the river.

Ottawa got a rental price, and one that San Jose was willing to pay for what could likely be one year of a rental player.  There is no way to spin this as Ottawa winning aside from a crazy set of circumstances where everything falls their way.  

Ok Mr. Provost your eloquent post has sucked me back in once again.

I

nterestingly enough, Sutter was the first player I thought of when Tierney was confirmed as the main roster player going back.

The deep and late round nature of the picks as well as the projected return on the prospects... all this brings me back to the point that I felt many CDCers were missing leading up to the trade: it wasn't ever going to take as much as many predicted it would.

This whole notion of Quinn Hughes or EP having to go the other way were insane from the outset.  Our first rounder next year and a Sutter type roster player would have put us in the hunt barring not being on Karlsson's supposed. I would have supported this trade wholeheartedly for EK. The caveat here is that the deal went down without an extension.

Agreed, it's a pipe dream thinking he ends up in Ottawa but who knows? That franchise is on the brink of a full on tear down. Seems to me they lost EK 

because of the owner and that's the notion spreading like wildfire through the Ottawa Valley.

San Jose got him at a rental price for sure. Their blue line is all world right now. Karlsson would have been amazing and an excellent addition to our team. I still can't figure out, bearing the pieces of this trade in mind, why so many fans were so adamantly against bringing in the best defender on the planet for even a season. An extension for this guy at 28 years old is a no brainer. Just another example of a fanbase fixated on youth exclusively turning this team around. Youth for the sake of youth only and without merit.

And just think: people here complain about Acquilini; yet, we don't have Acquilini in an interview talking about a rebuild wearing a Vancouver jersey like he's the GM.

I have to look at Ottawa and ask "why?" They had a good year before last year and last year could have easily been a one off. They literally could have had a bounce back year this year and none of this would have had to happen, but nope. One bad year and it's apparently time to redo everything.

This has to be one of the worst series of decisions I've ever seen in the NHL to be honest. Even Mike Milbury might be better for Ottawa and that's saying something.

It looks bad but this is what happens when players have the control they have in their destinations these days. I’m sure there was better deals available but EK sounds like he was also selective of his landing spot which handcuffs the gm like we were with Luongo and Kesler.

This was about as far as they could push it to maximize return. Had to beat the start of the season and injury risk and at the deadline the teams with space and ability to make a good deal happen that he is okay with playing for could diminish things drastically.

Archived