The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maxime Bernier announces “People’s Party of Canada”

The_Rocket

Well it’s official, we have another party we can vote for next election. Does anyone care? Should anyone care? Personally I’m pretty disenfranchised with the conservatives, the liberals, and the NDP so I am going to strongly consider voting for bernier, but I’m interested in what other people think about this announcement

I'm interested in his ideas for sure, I was really hoping for the conservatives to give a good alternative to the disaster that Trudeau is but they seem to be wanting the status quo  instead. The NDP would be even more extreme than the liberals and would be even worse. If Bernier can offer something different from the system we currently have where it really only helps the elites I'm interested.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that depends, is the PPC more like the CPC or the old PCs? or will be be just another populist PP?

Only if the PP and the NDP can erode some of the LPC support without the NDP becoming the CCF and the CPC having to go back to being the RPC.    

All that is certain, someone will be offended, labels will be liberally thrown around and CBC will manufacture outrage.  :)

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Only if the PP and the NDP can erode some of the LPC support without the NDP becoming the CCF and the CPC having to go back to being the RPC.    

All that is certain, someone will be offended, labels will be liberally thrown around and CBC will manufacture outrage.  :)

seriously tho, this is an interesting tack. With the party name and emphasis on social media to get his messages out going forward (from what he said in his press conf) he's staking out a populist style position - I think in part because Scheer just doesn't have the personality to pull that off and that would make him a very easy target for Trudeau. But for Bernier its a bit different, he's trying to erode conservative support so attacks from Trudeau probably grow support for Bernier. 

I don't think the Trump comparisons hold water, he's much more like Macron in how he's doing all this. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seriously tho, this is an interesting tack. With the party name and emphasis on social media to get his messages out going forward (from what he said in his press conf) he's staking out a populist style position - I think in part because Scheer just doesn't have the personality to pull that off and that would make him a very easy target for Trudeau. But for Bernier its a bit different, he's trying to erode conservative support so attacks from Trudeau probably grow support for Bernier. 

I don't think the Trump comparisons hold water, he's much more like Macron in how he's doing all this. 

He is trying to capture some of the momentum that O'Leary was finding existed "out there" in both disgruntled Liberal/NDP and PC traditionalists.

Archived