The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson Can't Be a Passenger (Article)

Canckelhead

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This article fails to point out what kind of role Eriksson is playing. He's a criminally underrated two-way player, who provides much needed depth up and down the wing.

Yes, he is arguably overpaid for the type of role that he is in, but one cannot say that he is ineffective at his job.

The offensive mindset he possesses is still there, though his numbers very well might not reflect that. He is certainly the better signing compared to Lucic. I think his role was an important one in helping Petterson and Goldobin play better.

definitely overpaid, but that's not his fault..

perhaps his skill set  (2 way game, defensively responsible, propensity for cleaning up the garbage) is precisely why he was put on a 2nd line with a flashy rookie and a prospect with holes in his defensive game. 

by virtue of the fact that the 2nd line is producing solid offense, it might be a while before it's changed

you do you Lou...

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

All you guys missed the point. The author wasn't direct enough, but my translation was -

"At $6m/yr, Loui has to be more than a Dad. He's contributing very little and Roussel could do his job (and fight) for half the price"

You're of course free to exercise your right to hit the bong.  If so, how about a red-eye chaser? (slam a Lucky with an ounce of tomato juice in the bottom to 'cleanse the palate' lol).

Your 'translation' though - is a rewriting of the article.

I'm not sure you got the point of the post you responded to - but it's all good.  I expect a lot of that in the coming days when the dispensaries reopen.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You're of course free to exercise your right to hit the bong.  If so, how about a red-eye chaser? (slam a Lucky with an ounce of tomato juice in the bottom to 'cleanse the palate' lol).

Your 'translation' though - is a rewriting of the article.

I'm not sure you got the point of the post you responded to - but it's all good.  I expect a lot of that in the coming days when the dispensaries reopen.

I'm far too fixated on what I expect out of a $6m player to rally to the defence of Loui.

He is all the things his booster club keeps reminding us haters of. Reliable, positionally sound, stabilizing, responsible yadda-yadda blah blah blah. But he's still not pulling the weight of his purse.

I understand it's not my money, I'm just the mope sitting around waiting for more.

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm far to fixated on what I expect out of a $6m player to rally to the defence of Loui.

He is all the things his booster club keeps reminding us haters of. Reliable, positionally sound, stabilizing, responsible yadda-yadda blah blah blah. But he's still not pulling the weight of his purse.

I understand it's not my money, I'm just the mope sitting around waiting for more.

It was 5 games - actually, not even a complete 5 games - with Pettersson

3 points (which translates to more than 50 per 82) and a lot of the elements that Goldobin/Pettersson need on that wing.

I think you guys might be over-reacting / and a bit prematurely.

This article isn't about the past few disastrous seasons for Eriksson.

It's about the 4+ games he has spent with Pettersson - and really, ironically, it's a lot of premature yadda yaddda blah blah blah.....it's 4/5 games lol - in which the writer has a myopic perspective wadr.

Brownie points to them for identifying a whipping boy that would get them some attention clicks.

Would I rather that be _____ ? (fill in random name of choice of alternatives on that line)   That would depend.  

But we're talking about about a 50 minute sample here.  #rollseyes

Criticism of LE is absolutely fair game - I don't see it as "moping" - I'm simply pointing out that he is not a "passenger".  That's a highlight reel perspective imo.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It was 5 games - actually, not even a complete 5 games - with Pettersson

3 points (which translates to more than 50 per 82) and a lot of the elements that Goldobin/Pettersson need on that wing.

I think you guys might be over-reacting / and a bit prematurely.

This article isn't about the past few disastrous seasons for Eriksson.

It's about the 4+ games he has spent with Pettersson - and really, ironically, it's a lot of premature yadda yaddda blah blah blah.....it's 4/5 games lol - in which the writer has a myopic perspective wadr.

Brownie points to them for identifying a whipping boy that would get them some attention clicks.

Would I rather that be _____ ? (fill in random name of choice of alternatives on that line)   That would depend.  

But we're talking about about a 50 minute sample here.  #rollseyes

Criticism of LE is absolutely fair game - I don't see it as "moping" - I'm simply pointing out that he is not a "passenger".  That's a highlight reel perspective imo.

I'm holding onto the past here, newsy.

I'd love to see Loui make me eat crow by putting up 60pts and being that stalwart 2 way forward I've been expecting.

15 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm holding onto the past here, newsy.

I'd love to see Loui make me eat crow by putting up 60pts and being that stalwart 2 way forward I've been expecting.

I'm holding onto the might-still-be.  Or at least the glass might be half full this year lol.

I'm glad we stayed out of the higher end UFA market this year.

And it's not an 'apology' for LE, but in fairness to him, he's surrounded by comparable disappointments from that July 1st.

I wanted Okposo at the time, but he also only has 3 pts haha.

9 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Well...pump n dump. If we can make him look good enough, someone might take him and we can fleece them in a trade.

This was the only good possible situation out of it with him playing on that line, now with EP out definitely hurts that a bit now.

Actually edit: It kills any opportunity for a trade now, Eriksson can't produce without a star player on his line.

6 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This was the only good possible situation out of it with him playing on that line, now with EP out definitely hurts that a bit now.

Actually edit: It kills any opportunity for a trade now, Eriksson can't produce without a star player on his line.

Petterson won't be out for long. Fact of the matter is, if we can get ANYTHING for Eriksson at the deadline, with that contract, it should be taken. Someone will come calling after looking at the point totals. Not every team is run all that efficiently that they wouldn't give up something as the options dry up as the deadline closes. As long as we aren't taking keeping salary in the trade.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

Petterson won't be out for long. Fact of the matter is, if we can get ANYTHING for Eriksson at the deadline, with that contract, it should be taken. Someone will come calling after looking at the point totals. Not every team is run all that efficiently that they wouldn't give up something as the options dry up as the deadline closes. As long as we aren't taking keeping salary in the trade.

It definitely will take a miracle to be able to trade him with that contract, maybe if he was going to be a free agent it would of been more possible, but with 3 more years it's going to be near impossible. The only way I see it happening is if EP helps him rack up the assists and a team who's pushing or going into the playoffs ends up losing a LW long term due to injury and isn't willing to give up much for a trade, then just maybe a trade could be possible.

I completely agree with the premise of this thread and subsequent comments:

While Eriksson isn’t a bad player, and has proven to be a very defensively responsible 200 foot player, that’s not the type of $&!# that warrants a 6-6.5 million dollar contract.  If Eriksson isn’t producing at a solid clip, then he’s not worth his contract.

Assuming that Eriksson doesn’t rediscover his scoring touch, I think the best time to move on from Eriksson will be during the Summer of 2020.  31 of Eriksson’s 36 million will have been paid out to him by that point, and so the Canucks can do one of two things:

1) Move Eriksson to a cap floor team IF Eriksson rediscovers his game.

2) Send Eriksson to the minors before the start of the 2020-2021 season.  With 31 of 36 million paid to him at this time, Eriksson would likely retire rather than ride buses at that stage of his career.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

So I see that Eriksson has been designated as this years whipping boy. 

He and his agent designated.....for three years running he has not fulfilled his end of the contract.  Simple as that.

There are people here who obviously have no clue what a contract between two parties is.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

He and his agent designated.....for three years running he has not fulfilled his end of the contract.  Simple as that.

There are people here who obviously have no clue what a contract between two parties is.

Benning offered the contract. The blame goes to him.  If the fans need to whip Loui that should be directed to Benning

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

Benning offered the contract. The blame goes to him.  If the fans need to whip Loui that should be directed to Benning

Meh.  Benning gave him the contract. Agreed.  Not his greatest deal.

but loui still deserves criticism for underperforming.  No contractor in any other business would be free from criticism for not delivering the standard of work that matches the compensation.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Meh.  Benning gave him the contract. Agreed.  Not his greatest deal.

but loui still deserves criticism for underperforming.  No contractor in any other business would be free from criticism for not delivering the standard of work that matches the compensation.

Luoi was never a prolific point getter though, he's always been known for his two way game so that's why I don't mind him so much. Besides, I'd much rather have Eriksson than Lucic at this point.

Archived