The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson Can't Be a Passenger (Article)

Canckelhead

2 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

The opportunity was there for Eriksson to grasp, and many envisioned the “King of Garbage Goals” cleaning up Pettersson’s rebounds. It hasn’t materialized so far

It’s not Lui’s fault that every shot EP takes goes in. No rebounds left to clean up ;)

LE has been more noticeable this year in a good way. Always strong defensively. He will need to start putting up points though to get the fans of his back. He can be streaky and I'm hoping he gets on a run soon. Grossly overpaid but his ugly contract is far from the worst in the NHL. Good news is we have the cap room at the moment so all will be fine. 

Dude has been defensively good though. Like, one of our best good. Eriksson provides a line with two more offensive minded players some wiggle room to be offensive while he safety nets the line with his defensive play. Eriksson is incredibly underrated around here. Yeah he's not dropping 30 goals and we need to drop that expectation. I have been pretty happy with his play thus far this season.

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This article fails to point out what kind of role Eriksson is playing. He's a criminally underrated two-way player, who provides much needed depth up and down the wing.

Yes, he is arguably overpaid for the type of role that he is in, but one cannot say that he is ineffective at his job.

The offensive mindset he possesses is still there, though his numbers very well might not reflect that. He is certainly the better signing compared to Lucic. I think his role was an important one in helping Petterson and Goldobin play better.

The guy was a one of the highest voted wingers in the Selke race a few years ago.  Given EP has to play the same kind of defensive game, he's a perfect fit for that line.  He's also looked a lot better this season now that we have suitable linemates for him.  The logic is going to be lost on everyone ignoring the fact we didn't have the type of personnel needed to get the most out of him until this season.

This is basically the same argument I made a few games ago he had 1 shot in 4 games, let's not forget this guy was originally signed at $6M for his offense ability, not 6M to be only good defensively. Now if you want to have an agent and get him to get you signed at the most money possible for you, you better show your worth it and he hasn't. We can agree to disagree, yes he's decent in a defensive type role, I'll give him that but that's all he's good at and at 6M to be only decent at a defensive type role is way over priced, so he better expect the backlash if he wants to be signed for that much. He's clearly on the decline offensively he really doesn't have much left, except pass the puck to the young guys because he can't keep up, there are many other players in the NHL who can play decent defensive roles and pass a puck to skilled players for WAY less then $6M year. I would take Burrows over Eriksson 100%, Burrows can do all the same Eriksson does with even more hustle and hard work for easily half the price. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it also ignores all of the other good stats he's putting up. 4th in on ice save % on the team, and possession. Also very low ice time being in the sheltered role. Also being the defensive partner for the kids. Sure a goal would be nice but he has 14 shot attempts, Baertschi has 16. Its early. 

I don't like the whole "Loui can't be a passenger" message. Because the author must really not know him at all. LE has always been a "passenger" (if you want to call it that) his whole career, he's never RAN a line ever. But he is a great 3rd wheel for a lot of talented players. Which is why he was so money on in close chances back in his day. He was great at poking in those garbage goals and being a responsible player at both ends of the ice. He is providing a great mentorship role to EP, EP has already stated that LE was a family friend and it was comfortable knowing he was on the team as someone he can lean on. I believe LE is very important for EP early on. Passenger my butt.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't like the whoe "Loui can't be a passenger" message. Because the author must really not know him at all. LE has always been a "passenger" (if you want to call it that) his whole career, he's never RAN a line ever. But he is a great 3rd wheel for a lot of talented players. Which is why he was so money on in close chances back in his day. He was great at poking in those garbage goals and being a responsible player at both ends of the ice. He is providing a great mentorship role to EP, EP has already stated that LE was a family friend and it was comfortable knowing he was on the team as someone he can lean on. I believe LE is very important for EP early on. Passenger my butt.

yup he's always been a key complimentary line mate. I am a bit concerned over him being snake bit again, but he's been feeding some beautiful smart passes to both EP and Goldy. If Loui ended up with 0 goals and 50 assists thats fine with me as long as the line he's on is scoring. 

I like Loui on the Pettersson line. Loui knows that he is not going to be the offensive force on this line, so he plays back a little bit and lets the kids take the play to the net. Loui's defensively responsible and because of the the kids can try to get creative and know that there will be someone on the back in case they lose the puck. Pettersson is good on both ends, Goldolbin is good on the offence lacking on the defence and Loui lacks on the offence but smart on the defence. There is a balance.

I'm really torn on LE. No one is arguing that he is worth $6m, but on a team that shouldn't be a cap ceiling team at the moment, that isn't the most important metric. Do I wish we never signed him? Yeah. But now that we're stuck with him, is it better that he's at least serviceable? Yeah. But do I really wish we didn't have him? Yeah.

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I'm really torn on LE. No one is arguing that he is worth $6m, but on a team that shouldn't be a cap ceiling team at the moment, that isn't the most important metric. Do I wish we never signed him? Yeah. But now that we're stuck with him, is it better that he's at least serviceable? Yeah. But do I really wish we didn't have him? Yeah.

I'm more or less with you on these points.  The problem with Eriksson is primarily with his contract.  Since Eriksson arrived, he hasn't produced at the rate that one would have hoped for but he's a reasonable contributor to the team in other respects.  The way Eriksson has been playing could technically be replaced for a lot less $, but I'm not sure what his presence is like in the locker room.  It's probably not worth the extra $ but it might still be valuable for the young players on the team.

28 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm more or less with you on these points.  The problem with Eriksson is primarily with his contract.  Since Eriksson arrived, he hasn't produced at the rate that one would have hoped for but he's a reasonable contributor to the team in other respects.  The way Eriksson has been playing could technically be replaced for a lot less $, but I'm not sure what his presence is like in the locker room.  It's probably not worth the extra $ but it might still be valuable for the young players on the team.

Points wise he isn't earning his contract, but as Jimmy stated above, even if he nets 0 goals and 50 assists this year it will be a win. He can feed off EP all he wants, it's what he's done his whole career, and he's good at being the glue guy. It could really work well for him. Plus aside from all that, i'd pay him 6 Mil a year just to be a friend to EP so he gets acclimated to life in North America, and Vancouver as well. I'm sure it's a culture shock. Aside from his parents who have been to a few games (and i'm sure at some point they have to go back home to Sweden) he doesn't have much else. His best friend is way down in Utica lol. Anyways if LE plays that kind of "parent hood" role for EP, then pay the man 6 Mil. EP is worth it.

...Maybe LE's contract will turn out to be a good investement in the long run after all...? (I hope!!)

48 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Points wise he isn't earning his contract, but as Jimmy stated above, even if he nets 0 goals and 50 assists this year it will be a win. He can feed off EP all he wants, it's what he's done his whole career, and he's good at being the glue guy. It could really work well for him. Plus aside from all that, i'd pay him 6 Mil a year just to be a friend to EP so he gets acclimated to life in North America, and Vancouver as well. I'm sure it's a culture shock. Aside from his parents who have been to a few games (and i'm sure at some point they have to go back home to Sweden) he doesn't have much else. His best friend is way down in Utica lol. Anyways if LE plays that kind of "parent hood" role for EP, then pay the man 6 Mil. EP is worth it.

...Maybe LE's contract will turn out to be a good investement in the long run after all...? (I hope!!)

If being a parent gets you a $6m salary, I'll sign up for a kid today ::D

Archived