The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Anders Nilsson, Darren Archibald to Senators for Mike McKenna, Tom Pyatt, 6th-round pick

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Stone can bury the biscuit. No doubt.

i have no interest in trading for rentals though. And I don’t think Stone is especially fast. That he will fit in the play style that is emerging. I also don’t think we’ll be short on goal scoring.

Unless Ericsson, himself and Gaudette form a fearsome 3rd line. Look at Calgary’s signature UFA this year? No speed, he’s in the third line. Ericsson? (And he has some wheels...)

Maybe. MAYBE, as a ufa would I be interested in Stone. Not for assets. And I would be targeting a key D long before another forward.

Myers most likely. Karlsson?

Very true, I wouldn't want to give up a lot to get him. But I look at what they got for Karlsson, if you can scrape up some spare parts to land him it may be worth doing. But if it hurts too much just go after him as a UFA for sure.

3 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

The assumption is that this move is to allow Demko to come up but I don't see why the rush? Right now Marky is playing some of the best hockey of his career and it does not seem like Demko is in position to usurp him at least not RIGHT NOW. I'd leave him with the Comets for the rest of the year, let him get in more games and have this McKenna guy take the spot starts. I anticipated Demko splitting the net next year but I guess they have accelerated the plan with him.

I think the idea is that Demko can come up and get NHL-level goalie coaching from Ian Clark, who worked with elite goaltenders in Roberto Luongo and Sergei Bobrovsky when he had his two Vezina-winning seasons.

One thing that Anders Nilsson provided the team and Markstrom was that in his backup role he could start every now and then and give Markstrom a rest, which reflected in Markstrom's great month of December as the league's best goalie. Demko in his backup role can do the same. Start once in every 3 or 4 games to get exposure and experience at the NHL level and give Markstrom a break.

Demko certainly won't replace Markstrom now, but Demko will certainly get the coaching and games needed to start his NHL career.

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

On the other hand, Nilsson is a big, young skilled goaltender who proved more consistent and effective when he was in Buffalo.  For whatever reason, it didn't work out...

He's not young by NHL goalie standards, especially backups. He turns 29 in a couple months. Not necessarily finished, but probably not going to get a whole lot better either.

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Also gave up nothing to get him in the first place. 

Man, Benning is one gigantic breath of fresh air with how willing he is to follow through with his plan any chance he gets, especially after years of moves that coulda/woulda/shoulda happened. 

Lots of minor moves.

I’d like to see how his big moves look. 

This TDL might finally be notable. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Man, Benning is one gigantic breath of fresh air with how willing he is to follow through with his plan any chance he gets, especially after years of moves that coulda/woulda/shoulda happened. 

Agreed - I love how patient JB has been letting his top picks roll in and develop while simultaneously being aggressive setting the table with the rest of the team.  He sure isn’t afraid to fire off a trade.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

He's not young by NHL goalie standards, especially backups. He turns 29 in a couple months. Not necessarily finished, but probably not going to get a whole lot better either.

fair enough. 

but at the same time there is a 'trend' for G to emerge in the 26.27,28 range

'young' may be a stretch - younger than McKenna with lots of potential serviceble years left is not.

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Got rid of him.

Got out of his $2.5mil salary.

Got a draft pick.

Got a way to get Demko into the lineup.

yeah i think you could argue the Canucks weren't getting much for their 2.5 mil. 

I'm very happy with this move, Nilsson probably gets waived in a week anyway, Archie just never lived up to CDCs hopes, even with a nice long look last year. 

So now Judd Brackett can go do his thing and get 3 cracks at finding some hidden gem between picks 156 to 187 ::D

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

I wish we could trade Eriksson for a 6 rounder.

That would actually be a great deal for Edmonton - if they hadn't boxed themself in with the Lucic contract.

LE would lead their LWers in scoring - while being an excellent defensive forward, something they lack from nearly top to bottom in that lineup.

Instead they have Lucic, who can't skate, isn't exactly what you'd call a 'defensive forward' - sitting with 1 goal on a team with centers like they have - and mired as a misfit in their bottom six.

They actually have 5.5 million of cap - enough to acquire (pro-rated) LE - and are desperate to recover a season that is supposed to be a contention window for them, but is unfolding like every other poorly built Coiler effort.  Nevermind the future - the future is nowlol.

Chia knows LE - might want to think about how much better they'd be at LW with Eriksson in that mix beside a McMe1st, Draisaitl, or with RNH in an upgraded two way 3rd line role.

Beggars, even if they're lottery champions, can't be choosers haha.

Edited by oldnews

21 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

INB4 Hamhuis/Vrbata comments :P

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

13 pages and counting... concerning a backup goalie and career AHLer.

I think we are hungry for trade news. 

It it would be neat to see a running list of the minor moves JB has made.

Like, x begat y which begat z. 

Fans are excited to see Demko! This isn't just about Nilly players and pick...smh

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Not happy with this tbh...  Nilly was solid when he was put in decent situations... can't blame the guy whose used to playing at 7PM pacific and start him for a 10AM game... 9 hours earlier than he's used to.

Also this is pretty embarassing as I had Nilly for Vezina this year.

Ottawa just got a pretty solid goalie for almost nothing.

All the best to Nilly and his family.

Throw in some WD comments, & this post woulda gone Willie-Nilly.. Nice one, Apollo!

• Haha 1