The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Schmaltz(stl) Scherbak(la) Wideman(fla) Jan 6/18

86Viking

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Both drafted in the same year at similar slots. Both very inconsistent offensively, and way to often soft on pucks. Scherbak may get one more chance. Goldy is as frustrating a player as I've seen. He's got it all but doesnt know how to constantly put it together. His career will die on the waiver wire as well if he doesnt figure it out soon. 

894 players have played in the nhl this year. Goldy is 135th in points. Divide his position by 31 and he is the 4th highest scorer on the average team. There are literally hundreds of players who's "career will die on the waiver wire" before him.

13 minutes ago, coryberg said:

894 players have played in the nhl this year. Goldy is 135th in points. Divide his position by 31 and he is the 4th highest scorer on the average team. There are literally hundreds of players who's "career will die on the waiver wire" before him.

Goldy being benched two or three times this year magnifies the lack of consistancy. Points are nice but the lack of compete, giveaways are telling. The play dies on his stick way to often. I still hold out hope for the kid but its telling when you make trips to the press box on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Did he play last night? Exactly. 

I could see the Canuvks claiming someone for depth considering Juolevi, Chatfield, and Sautner out long term with injury and our defensive depth is quite sparse atm.  Another few more injuries amd we are in trouble on the backend.

Right now we only have McEneny and Brisebois who are healthy in Utica and on contract.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Pouliot better be gone if Schmaltz makes it to us. Time to play moneyball with someone else. 

That wouldn't qualify as "moneyball".  That would be dummyball.

Moneyball is based in analytics.

Jordan Schmaltz

57.8% ozone starts

42.4% corsi

1.6 on ice goals for per 60 (5 on 5)

3.5 goals against.

2 assists in 20 games, -7.

Probably the worst underlying numbers on the Blues.

Pouliot is far better by every metric.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I would be all over Schmaltz but I don't see him making it to us. We are to high in the standings. Lol

It is based on winning percentage and not pure points.

We are I think around 23-24th.

Dude is worth a gamble if he dropped to us.  Probably an upgrade on Biega/Pouliot and could actually get an opportunity with us to be on the PP.  Benning has been saying for two years how much he wants a RHD with some offence.

Not a long term answer, but maybe buying low and raising his value some.

Sometimes a guy just doesn’t fit with a certain system or with certain guys... every once in a while they turn it around on their next stop.  If you take a guy off waivers and he turns into a reasonable 6-8th D who is capable of filling in for injuries... that is a win.

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Jordan Schmaltz

57.8% ozone starts

42.4% corsi

3.5 goals against.

Poor wording, my bad.

That's also a small sample size on a struggling Blues team for Schmaltz. We know what Pouliot is, and he clearly does not have a future on this team.

I would not mind spending the last half of this year gambling on another RHD who fits the mold of this team's needs moving forward.

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Jordan Schmaltz

57.8% ozone starts

42.4% corsi

3.5 goals against.

Derrick Pouliot                                                   Ben Hutton

52.1% ozone starts                                            (48.8)

50.0% corsi                                                        (45.3)

2.8 on ice goals for per 60 (5 on 5)                    (2.0)

2.6 goals against                                                (3.3)

1 goal 4 assists in 39 games EVEN +/-             (3 goals 2 assists in 43 games -16

I am not a big fan of advanced analytics on their own but for fun compared Schmaltz's numbers against Pouliot and Hutton as indicated above. The numbers for both would suggest they are rated higher than Schmaltz but the more interesting part is, by these numbers alone, Pouliot would be outperforming Hutton by a fair margin. I wonder how many on CDC would accept this rationale for proclaiming Pouliot has been the superior performer? 

Maybe all this tells us is we should be targeting a Pouliot to Arizona trade? :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Pouliot is frustrating to be sure but with an overall average D core, Pouliot does get an unfair majority of the blame. Edler is our best D-man and even he gaffs regularly.

People tend to error-gaze where D are concerned - and dwell on them = look for nothing but.

No doubt Pouliot makes errors (all D do) and his tend to be puck-moving down low in his own zone under pressure.

Not going to pretend I wasn't hoping for more out of Pouliot this year, but at the same time, the whipping boy status is CDC's patented knee-jerk need to ride someone, anyone.

In fairness to Pouliot, he does a number of  things well - he's having a better season than Hutton did last year - and Pouliot's situational play has been challenging at times this year given the loss of depth.   He also has guys like Juolevi and Hughes earmarked for LHD spots on this roster, so it's an uphill battle longer term - but I think he has the tools to stick in the NHL, needs to get some confidence rolling though.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

That's also a small sample size on a struggling Blues team for Schmaltz. We know what Pouliot is, and he clearly does not have a future on this team.

I would not mind spending the last half of this year gambling on another RHD who fits the mold of this team's needs moving forward.

You gotta admit - it sounds a bit silly to be qualifying poor performance with "on a struggling Blues team"....relative to a Canucks team that is transitioning and has been heavily depleted this year....

I don't think I'd be gambling on Schmaltz given he'd have to take Stecher's minutes - or even relative to Biega.

I don't see RHD depth as an immediate need and would prefer instead to simply stay the course and continue to draft guys like Woo when the opportunity presents itself - or if the team does move a guy like Tanev, a young RHD principal.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Derrick Pouliot                                                   Ben Hutton

52.1% ozone starts                                            (48.8)

50.0% corsi                                                        (45.3)

2.8 on ice goals for per 60 (5 on 5)                    (2.0)

2.6 goals against                                                (3.3)

1 goal 4 assists in 39 games EVEN +/-             (3 goals 2 assists in 43 games -16

I am not a big fan of advanced analytics on their own but for fun compared Schmaltz's numbers against Pouliot and Hutton as indicated above. The numbers for both would suggest they are rated higher than Schmaltz but the more interesting part is, by these numbers alone, Pouliot would be outperforming Hutton by a fair margin. I wonder how many on CDC would accept this rationale for proclaiming Pouliot has been the superior performer? 

Maybe all this tells us is we should be targeting a Pouliot to Arizona trade? :unsure:

It depends imo what aspect of the game we're referrring to one outperforming the other.

Hutton's plus-minus is going to take hits as a secondary (and at times primary) shutdown unit, so that and his goals against metric I take with a grain of salt.

i think BHut is the better defenseman where size and battle are a factor - and has the advantage of playing with a guy whose strength is in the hard areas, and in front of the net (Gud).

Pouliot is probably the better puck mover / subtle play driver and skates exceptionally well, something often overlooked when you look at a player's ability to close against the rush, maintain coverage....  One thing about Pouliot that stands out for me - his mistakes tend to be under pressure, down-low attempting to move the puck.   Both he and Stecher (who is solid imo but undersized), playing with each other, lack the complementary size you'd ideally have partnered with each of them.  But it is what it is an a transition.

My opinion is that despite the underlying numbers Hutton probably has the advantage this year, whereas Pouliot was clearly better down the stretch last year.

Regardless, both of them are going to be in tough - but I'd prefer to see them both getting the minutes they are this year as opposed to MDZ, who's not only more evidently just a placeholder, but was really quite bad early this year and made this decision a lot easier for Green to run with the two younger guys despite both of their struggles.   Really not that concerned tbh - I think either of them have shown that they're worth a mid round pick, and wouldn't be surprised if a team lacking blueline depth gave up one for either of them.

That said, the Coil will probably claim Schmaltz - they're clearly taking advice from their message boards....

"Claim all the waiverz!!"   Getz all tha projectz!!

Schmaltz fits a category we need quite badly. A RHD who moves the puck.

A very solid AHL guy in terms of performance, by memory AHL all star & put up good points.  Former 1st round pick in terms of athleticism and displayed skills. Was pencilled in to the job Vince Dunn grabbed two years ago & never cracked the roster. To be fair, only Dunn & Edmundson have cracked the roster in the last 6 years almost. St Louis had been very steady with Boewmeister, Pietrangelo, once Shattenkirk, then added Edmundson. 

A RHD with puck skills? That alone may make it worth considering. It means Biega goes to Utica (I don't see him being claimed). But Schmaltz wont play much ubless Tanev starts getting injured again.

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

hard to believe this team is sitting ahead of St Louis, Edmonton and Minnesota at this point given not only the transition, but the M.A.S.H. season this has been.

Edmonton with better lottery odds than us makes me borderline sick.

It's definitely not something I'd have predicted at the beginning of the season.

If Edmonton wins another top 3 pick imma lose it. And unfortunately it's looking like they probably will. How can a team be so spoiled with top flight prospects but continue to be so bad, you think a management team over there woulda figured things out by now.

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A very solid AHL guy in terms of performance, by memory AHL all star & put up good points.  Former 1st round pick in terms of athleticism and displayed skills. Was pencilled in to the job Vince Dunn grabbed two years ago & never cracked the roster. To be fair, only Dunn & Edmundson have cracked the roster in the last 6 years almost. St Louis had been very steady with Boewmeister, Pietrangelo, once Shattenkirk, then added Edmundson. 

A RHD with puck skills? That alone may make it worth considering. It means Biega goes to Utica (I don't see him being claimed). But Schmaltz wont play much ubless Tanev starts getting injured again.

How's his play in his own end?  We've been down this path before with defensemen who can't play defense in Weber and Larsen.

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree. He is still young and if we claim him now, ride out the season with him, it gives us options next year on the right side. Waive DP and pick up this kid please. 

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't know about that.

The team is going to have a pmd on the left side in Hughes - and Juolevi is no slouch of a puck mover himself.   Add Edler to that mix - who wants to and likely re-signs - and there's a veteran (tracking towards 50+ pts this year) who won't be as hard-pressed to be-all and end-all for this team.   No bad puck movement from the entire left side (Pouliot and Hutton aint that bad as depth either....or McEneny, Brisebois...or Rathbone, Utunen....)

I'm not sure the need is as pronounced - and don't see the problem with having the principal shutdown D being RHD on this team.

It might be nice to find - probably draft - a guy that is a puck mover on the right side in due course, but they'd have to get in line in any event, because R or L, Hughes is probably going to eat the majority of those pmd minutes...  I think it might be more a matter of drafting the right complements - and even there they have Tanev, Gud, Stecher and made inroads into the RHD prospect pool with Woo...

I think if they move a guy like Tanev though, the principal ought to be an NHL or near NHL ready RHD.  (Cernak or Foote pls).

But where Schmaltz is concerned, even short term I just don't see him earning Stecher's minutes.   But who kwows - he could be the next Justin Schultz.  All he needs is a failed stint in Coilerville and a reinvent with the Pens!

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know about that.

The team is going to have a pmd on the left side in Hughes - and Juolevi is no slouch of a puck mover himself.   Add Edler to that mix - who wants to and likely re-signs - and there's a veteran (tracking towards 50+ pts this year) who won't be as hard-pressed to be-all and end-all for this team.   No bad puck movement from the entire left side (Pouliot and Hutton aint that bad as depth either....or McEneny, Brisebois...or Rathbone, Utunen....)

I'm not sure the need is as pronounced - and don't see the problem with having the principal shutdown D being RHD on this team.

It might be nice to find - probably draft - a guy that is a puck mover on the right side in due course, but they'd have to get in line in any event, because R or L, Hughes is probably going to eat the majority of those pmd minutes...  I think it might be more a matter of drafting the right complements - and even there they have Tanev, Gud, Stecher and made inroads into the RHD prospect pool with Woo...

I think if they move a guy like Tanev though, the principal ought to be an NHL or near NHL ready RHD.  (Cernak or Foote pls).

But where Schmaltz is concerned, even short term I just don't see him earning Stecher's minutes.   But who kwows - he could be the next Justin Schultz.  All he needs is a failed stint in Coilerville and a reinvent with the Pens!

I suppose I might be asking for poor mans gravy with Schmaltz? Asking him to be PMD.

Stecher, I really like him. And no hope Schmaltz displaces Tanev or Guddy. For a small guy, Stech just battles, and wins his share, more, in spite of his size. He has some puck skills and moxy. But we have not seen him used offensively as heavily since WD left. But I don't supplant Stecher to get more offense from the right side. Stech is actually tracking to above 20 points just primarily 3rd pair minutes.   

The question was simply if we are better with Schmaltz as 7th or 8th man? Or Biega? Schmaltz is 5 or 6 years younger and brings a different skill set. Until a Woo arrives...

Yes, more drafting the real and longer term fix! Agreed.

I never intended for him to compete with the left D guys. Hutton and Pouliot are getting their chance to make Edler redundant. While we await Juolevi, and yes our earmarked PMD Hughes. Lots of credit to Green. And Pettersson? Green has Pouliot playing ok, Hutton and Edler both with improved much better seasons.   

Archived