The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn Speaks to Media about Utica

Dazzle

27 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Has anyone who watched him play recently able to tell me why he isn't in the lineup instead of Pouliot? I haven't watched him so I've just gotta go off what his scouting report says and he sounds exactly like a Gudbranson. It's no secret that he brings zero offence but he's supposed to bring size, leadership, and not too terrible defensive play. Pouliot supposedly brings some offensive skill but awful defensive play easily offsets his whopping 8 pts. 

I feel it's about stick side. Schenn is an RHD. Pouliot is LHD. TG is the type of coach that likes to pair lefts with rights. I'm sure if there's an opening on the right that Schenn will grab at the opportunity, though we also have Biega.

1 hour ago, Butters Stoch said:

Has anyone who watched him play recently able to tell me why he isn't in the lineup instead of Pouliot? I haven't watched him so I've just gotta go off what his scouting report says and he sounds exactly like a Gudbranson. It's no secret that he brings zero offence but he's supposed to bring size, leadership, and not too terrible defensive play. Pouliot supposedly brings some offensive skill but awful defensive play easily offsets his whopping 8 pts. 

Schenn is sloooooow and can't move the puck particularly well. Gudbranson is a good skater for his size. Schenn has played for 4 teams in the last 4 seasons. Something tells me he just can't keep up anymore. Not to mention Pouliot plays LD and Schenn is RD. That's pretty much how the team/coaching staff likes to play their D-men. On their natural side. So comparing the two is rather moot. Schenn is nowhere near an upgrade on Tanev, Gudbranson or Stecher. Hell I'd even say Bulldog Biega is far superior to Schenn.

4 hours ago, Jaku said:

2 games vs how many dozen where we've all wondered if he should be on an NHL roster. I'm not convinced he should be on any NHL team. 

but you're convinced Schenn should be.    apparently you've never seen either of them skate - something that matters when it's a game played on ice.

Refreshing to hear a guy that has had an NHL career still appreciate his gig in the AHL and the fans that show up to support teams in the development league.

I'm not a believer that Schenn is ever going to crack the Canucks lineup - but that's not the point of the deal in any event (it was to get a pick and move MDZ to an opportunity).

He's already far more likeable than Gagner - I'll be pulling for Schenn and imagine he's going to be liked by his team-mates and that fanbase.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

but you're convinced Schenn should be.    apparently you've never seen either of them skate - something that matters when it's a game played on ice.

I don't believe I ever once said Schenn should be in the NHL. I said "might be a 6-7" not he should be an NHL defenseman. I don't think Schenn should be an NHL d-man. I also don't think Pouliot should be. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Refreshing to hear a guy that has had an NHL career still appreciate his gig in the AHL and the fans that show up to support teams in the development league.

I'm not a believer that Schenn is ever going to crack the Canucks lineup - but that's not the point of the deal in any event (it was to get a pick and move MDZ to an opportunity).

He's already far more likeable than Gagner - I'll be pulling for Schenn and imagine he's going to be liked by his team-mates and that fanbase.

who knows? i suppose anythings possible. But as you say that wasn't really the point of the deal. If he gets a new deal for next season he might be able to compete for a 7/8 spot if he shows up in great shape. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

who knows? i suppose anythings possible. But as you say that wasn't really the point of the deal. If he gets a new deal for next season he might be able to compete for a 7/8 spot if he shows up in great shape. 

yes - two of Tanev, Gud, Stecher, Biega could go down to overlapping injuries....

Actually, knowing this team, that's probably more possible than I've suggested lol

If that did happen though, it wouldn't be pretty - tank nation would probably bake themselves some cupcakes.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - two of Tanev, Gud, Stecher, Biega could go down to overlapping injuries....

Actually, knowing this team, that's probably more possible than I've suggested lol

If that did happen though, it wouldn't be pretty - tank nation would probably bake themselves some cupcakes.

yeah exactly. I was thinking more next season, maybe the odd injury call up. Seems like a good guy to have around the kids in Utica tho. 

Archived