The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Spirits thread (aka Liquor Thread)

MikeBossy

So I have seen a few folks posting on here in status updates etc about favourite Spirits (Scotch, Whiskey etc) so figured why not start a thread for all things Liqour

So I will post a couple of my favourite spirits - the hope is we can recommend different brands for fellow CDC'ers to try.

Rum:

Bumbahttp://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?search=bumba

An exquisite, all-natural craft rum with native Caribbean ingredients aged up to 15 years to create an effortlessly smooth and balanced rum with complexity and depth. Aromas of Madagascar vanilla, soft caramel and toasted oak with notes of cinnamon, roasted nuts, and allspice on the palate- perfectly blended to achieve a mild sweetness and light, smooth finish. Excellent as a sipping spirit, or the perfect ingredient in a favourite cocktail or punch.

Its one of my favs to drink over ice  with no mix

Vodka:

If you make a trip to Edmonton etc and they have a Costco liquor store do yourself a favour and make it a must stop - they have an amazing Costco brand Vodka:

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/kirkland-signature-american-vodka

Here's one user review:

The best! This is basically Grey Goose vodka in a Costco bottle, with a Costco price tag! Amazing! It is however, huge! I’m not a big drinker but this is great to have on hand for cocktails! Very smooth and high quality!

They also make an amazing french vodka which I enjoy again just over ice - use the American one if you are using mix - its not as good over ice.

And finally Whiskey:

Again I am a straight over ice guy so here I go with this: Gentleman Jack's

https://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gentleman-jack

Inspired by the original gentleman distiller and our founder, Gentleman Jack undergoes a second charcoal mellowing to achieve exceptional smoothness. Its balanced flavor is perfect for celebrating life’s extraordinary occasions, plus all the moments along the way.

Beer:

Dark/amber:

Guiness - Draught

Granville Island brewery - Lions winter ale.

Red Collar Brewery - Dubbel

Pacific Western Brewery - Canterbury Dark Mild.

Blonde/pale:

Pacific Western Brewery - Cariboo Blonde

Kronenbourg 1664 - Blanc.

Vodka:

Kirkland - Vodka

Whiskey:

Wisers - Special Blend

Gibsons - Sterling

Crown Royal - Reserve

I'll add these to the list:

Gin:

Bombay Sapphie East is fantastic, its actually just good on its own with ice. They add lemongrass and pepper to it and its dangerously good. The bottle looks very similar to the regular Bombay Sapphire so make sure its the "East" version. 

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/bombay-sapphire-east/319673#.XEyfSS2lkg4

Bourbon:

Knob Creek Single Barrel. I get to have this when my wife is very happy with me. 

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/knob-creek-single-barrel/255232#.XEyfsS2lkg4

Amaretto:

Sons of Vancouver makes an awesome amaretto, plus its good to support local. But its also really good.

https://sonsofvancouver.ca

32 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

@MikeBossy Vodka Vodka Vodka Russian prince is my favorite

Ive always heard that about kirkland..In saskatchewan you can get a deca 10 from superstore thats apparently made there as well 

Reminder anyone can buy booze from costco..no membership needed

I must try this vodka you speak of Comrade (Canadian made to isn't it?) - as for Superstore haven't tried any of their brands other than their beer which is fine on a hot summer day when a guy is thirsty.

I have anywhere from 12-25 bottles of whiskey stocked in my bar at any time.  

Personal Fave Single Malt

Lagavulin 16

Image result for lagavulin 16

I will usually have a few other Islay single malts as the above is $150 a bottle...   Laphroaigh Quarter Cask  & Ardbeg 10 are standards.  I will usually have some Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie on hand for guests.  

Fave Irish

Green Spot is now a mandatory bottle to have. By far my fave Irish dram. 

Image result for green spot whiskey

A bottle of Jamesons is also mandatory. 

Bourbon

I love me a good old fashioned and will have 5-6 different bourbons. The best value for quality is: 

Wild Turkey 101

Image result for wild turkey 101

I ran out of my very, very, very hard to get Pappy Van Winkle 15 year about 6 months ago...I milked that bottle for 4 years...  was a gift from a well off client from the US.  The hype is true....  Pappy 20 year might be the greatest thing I've ever had other than pure cocaine on a beach in Columbia...

Image result for pappy van winkle 15

I keep no Canadian whiskey on hand other than Forty Creek!  There are a few decent ones with Crown Northern Harvest being up there but really Canadian whiskey is trash meant for mixed drinks.  

Forty Creek Cream is the best Irish Cream on the market...blows away Baileys....

Image result for forty creek cream

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes, I love liquor. 

@RUPERTKBD this is your thread aren't you a alcohol connoisseur? B)

Yes and no. I'm into beer and Scotch and occasionally Red Wine.

My favorite beer is brewed about an hour and a half East, in Terrace at the Sherwood Mountain Brewery and Pub:

image.png

For Scotch I like several single malts (Macallan, Glenmorangie, Oban, Glenlivet) but I usually buy Glenfiddich for the price point. I'm not a fan of the Peaty Scotch's, like Highland Park and Lagavulin.

When I'm looking for "best bang for the buck" I buy Jameson's, although I have tried a couple of other Irish Whiskey's that I like as well. (Blackbush, Tullamore Dew)

Beer:

Original 16. It's pretty good. I'm not a connoisseur by any means on any of this, but O16 feels like home.

Bohemian. It's not that great, but me and my friends love it as if it was.

Rum:

Flor de Caña 5 year and cola might be some of the best rum I've ever had.

Lemonheart Blackpool is a really good spiced rum as well.

Gin:

I have one thing to say about gin: Anyone who drinks Ungava is an animal :lol:

Vodka:

Wyborowa Vodka is a Polish grain vodka and that or Absolut might be my go-to vodka.

Khor smells like nail polish remover.

And I can't do whiskey or tequila anymore :P 

17 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Beer:

Original 16. It's pretty good. I'm not a connoisseur by any means on any of this, but O16 feels like home.

Bohemian. It's not that great, but me and my friends love it as if it was.

Rum:

Flor de Caña 5 year and cola might be some of the best rum I've ever had.

Lemonheart Blackpool is a really good spiced rum as well.

Gin:

I have one thing to say about gin: Anyone who drinks Ungava is an animal :lol:

Vodka:

Wyborowa Vodka is a Polish grain vodka and that or Absolut might be my go-to vodka.

Khor smells like nail polish remover.

And I can't do whiskey or tequila anymore :P 

Of course the Saskatchewan boy chooses original 16. Let me guess, pilsner is a close 2nd?B)

49 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For Scotch I like several single malts (Macallan, Glenmorangie, Oban, Glenlivet) but I usually buy Glenfiddich for the price point. I'm not a fan of the Peaty Scotch's, like Highland Park and Lagavulin.

Weakling ;)

I'll try to avoid any single cask stuff that simply isn't available:

Scotch:

Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Talisker 10

Springbank 10

Glenfarclas 15

Bruichladdich Laddie Ten

Glenallachie 10 Cask Stregnth

Clynelish 14

Irish:

Redbreast 12

Green Spot

American:

Jefferson Aged at Sea

Buffalo Trace

Four Roses Single Barrel

Rittenhouse Rye

Canadian:

Lot 40

Crown Royal Northern Harvest

Rum:

Flor de Cana 18

El Dorado 15

Cognac:

Martell VSOP

Remy Martin 1738 Accord Royal

Gin:

Berry Bros and Rudd No 3

Brokers

Bombay Sapphire East

Tequila:

Don Julio Reposado

Vodka:

Russian Standard

Ketel One

16 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Bohemian 1st, O16 2nd! Wouldn't take a lot of convincing for me to have Pilsner though :lol:

I can always tell what generation someone is by how they refer to Pilsner.

The young 'uns call it Pilsner, or Pilly, while for guys my age it will always be Old Style....

Archived