The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Spirits thread (aka Liquor Thread)

MikeBossy

Persephone Pale Ale

Four Winds IPA

Four Winds had a limited edition beer that was made in a tequila barrel or something like that so it had a bit of tequila taste, it was delicious. 

Bridge Brewing “The Grinch” winter ale is probably the best dark beer I’ve had. 

I’m a big lightweight so I usually avoid hard liquor, otherwise I end up a front row at Lynard Skynard kinda drunk. 

16 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I have anywhere from 12-25 bottles of whiskey stocked in my bar at any time.  

Personal Fave Single Malt

Lagavulin 16

Image result for lagavulin 16

I will usually have a few other Islay single malts as the above is $150 a bottle...   Laphroaigh Quarter Cask  & Ardbeg 10 are standards.  I will usually have some Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie on hand for guests.  

Fave Irish

Green Sport is now a mandatory bottle to have. By far my fave Irish dram. 

Image result for green spot whiskey

A bottle of Jamesons is also mandatory. 

Bourbon

I love me a good old fashioned and will have 5-6 different bourbons. The best value for quality is: 

Wild Turkey 101

Image result for wild turkey 101

I ran out of my very, very, very hard to get Pappy Van Winkle 15 year about 6 months ago...I milked that bottle for 4 years...  was a gift from a well off client from the US.  The hype is true....  Pappy 20 year might be the greatest thing I've ever had other than pure cocaine on a beach in Columbia...

Image result for pappy van winkle 15

I keep no Canadian whiskey on hand other than Forty Creek!  There are a few decent ones with Crown Northern Harvest being up there but really Canadian whiskey is trash meant for mixed drinks.  

Forty Creek Cream is the best Irish Cream on the market...blows away Baileys....

Image result for forty creek cream

Can I become best friends with you? Haha, I might have to look at Lagavulin next time 

6 hours ago, Russ said:

Can I become best friends with you? Haha, I might have to look at Lagavulin next time 

Hah! ... a few friends definitely love coming by my place when I have people over.  There will always be a few whiskey drinks offered. Most often it will be Evan William bourbon (such a good deal for the price of $26) old fashioned but I have been known to pass around the good stuff. The Lagavulin 8 is only $100 but you can definitely tell the difference in age.  

Just bought this last night: 

Image result for wellers bourbon

From the same company as Pappy with both being a wheated bourbon. Makes for a nice sweet dram.  Apparently if you mix this with another bourbon its a pretty good match for the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year...  Going to have to try it out.  You need to get this certain water from Kentucky though but it can be ordered online.   

Man forgot all about El Dorado rum - its amazing - has anyone tried the 21 yr  version vs the 15. For me I am not a big pop drinker so I love the different tastes you can get from various versions of rum over ice. Getting back to my Costco versions they make a great Spiced Rum for mixing (reminds me a lot of Sailor Jerrys) and two fabulous Tequilas. I have both tried the tequilas as shots and mixed and for the price so much better than comparables at the same price plus its Costco sized (Anyone who has every been to Costco's liquor stores will know what I mean)

Beer- I've been loving Phillips "Black Magic" lately. 

Scotch - Monkey Shoulder. Nothing fancy, it's not a single malt, but the blending is impeccable. An incredibly smooth drop. Macallan for Speyside, Laphoig quarter cask for some big flavours.

Irish - Irish is for drinking, at least IMO, no real flavour to nitpick, just get a buzz on. I'm not too particular but always have a bottle of Tullamore Dew, Two Gingers or Jamies on hand.

Bourbon - I only drink bourbon in the summer, usually as an old fashioned or a bastardized version of it. Like I am with Irish, not overly picky. Knob Creek or Makers is fine by me.

The wife drinks stump Gin. 

For Vodka I grab whatever is cheap because it's just going to get pummeled with seasonings and clam.

I'm all over the map with wines. 

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Beer- I've been loving Phillips "Black Magic" lately. 

Scotch - Monkey Shoulder. Nothing fancy, it's not a single malt, but the blending is impeccable. An incredibly smooth drop. Macallan for Speyside, Laphoig quarter cask for some big flavours.

Irish - Irish is for drinking, at least IMO, no real flavour to nitpick, just get a buzz on. I'm not too particular but always have a bottle of Tullamore Dew, Two Gingers or Jamies on hand.

Bourbon - I only drink bourbon in the summer, usually as an old fashioned or a bastardized version of it. Like I am with Irish, not overly picky. Knob Creek or Makers is fine by me.

The wife drinks stump Gin. 

For Vodka I grab whatever is cheap because it's just going to get pummeled with seasonings and clam.

I'm all over the map with wines. 

Have you had Iceberg Vodka? Cheap and great. 

Image result for iceberg vodka

21 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Have you had Iceberg Vodka? Cheap and great. 

Image result for iceberg vodka

Can't say I have. I've got some Alberta's finest (or whatever it's called) in the freezer. I only drink vodka in Caesar's, the wife's been liking gin Caesars lately, so that bottle of 'Berta sauce has probably been on ice since Halloween

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Can't say I have. I've got some Alberta's finest (or whatever it's called) in the freezer. I only drink vodka in Caesar's, the wife's been liking gin Caesars lately, so that bottle of 'Berta sauce has probably been on ice since Halloween

Not a fan of gin ones but went to a Caesar event last fall and Ardbeg was making them...the smoke of the peat was nice.  I mostly went back just had them pour me doubles neat though....

44 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Not a fan of gin ones but went to a Caesar event last fall and Ardbeg was making them...the smoke of the peat was nice.  I mostly went back just had them pour me doubles neat though....

Interesting, but I prefer my whisky unspoiled. The wife's been into stump gin Caesars... I don't advocate for wrecking good booze that way.

Just got around to picking this up yesterday, I remember trying to hunt it down last year but couldn't find it out west. Guess they finally brought it out this way within the last six months.

Might be one of my new favourites, I definitely see why it's been well received.

Collingwood-Double-Barreled-Canadian-Whi

21 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Interesting, but I prefer my whisky unspoiled. The wife's been into stump gin Caesars... I don't advocate for wrecking good booze that way.

Mrs Alf likes those sweet drink cooler things.  :sick:  Those things are a serious waste of good Vodka.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mrs Alf likes those sweet drink cooler things.  :sick:  Those things are a serious waste of good Vodka.  

I don't think they use "good vodka" in those foul concoctions... 

Coolers... gross, just the thought gives me the shivers.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, Gnarcore said:

I have anywhere from 12-25 bottles of whiskey stocked in my bar at any time.  

Personal Fave Single Malt

Lagavulin 16

Image result for lagavulin 16

I will usually have a few other Islay single malts as the above is $150 a bottle...   Laphroaigh Quarter Cask  & Ardbeg 10 are standards.  I will usually have some Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie on hand for guests.  

Fave Irish

Green Spot is now a mandatory bottle to have. By far my fave Irish dram. 

Image result for green spot whiskey

A bottle of Jamesons is also mandatory. 

Bourbon

I love me a good old fashioned and will have 5-6 different bourbons. The best value for quality is: 

Wild Turkey 101

Image result for wild turkey 101

I ran out of my very, very, very hard to get Pappy Van Winkle 15 year about 6 months ago...I milked that bottle for 4 years...  was a gift from a well off client from the US.  The hype is true....  Pappy 20 year might be the greatest thing I've ever had other than pure cocaine on a beach in Columbia...

Image result for pappy van winkle 15

I keep no Canadian whiskey on hand other than Forty Creek!  There are a few decent ones with Crown Northern Harvest being up there but really Canadian whiskey is trash meant for mixed drinks.  

Forty Creek Cream is the best Irish Cream on the market...blows away Baileys....

Image result for forty creek cream

You read my mind. Exactly my cabinet/thoughts.

Do you like Bulleit?

Archived