The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#PayDecker - Brianna Decker to be paid after social media campaign

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-all-star-skills-competition-brianna-decker-1.4994353

U.S. women's hockey star Brianna Decker showed everyone how it's done in the passing challenge at Friday night's NHL all-star skills competition in San Jose.

Since she was "demonstrating" the Premier Passer event, her time — unofficially clocked at three seconds faster than the best men's time — did not count, but a hockey apparel company stepped in following a social media campaign to recognize the American.

Decker's time of one minute and six seconds was clocked by fans on social media, as it was not timed by the NHL.

The Edmonton Oilers' Leon Draisaitl was the official winner, clocking in at 1:09.

The winner of this event was to be awarded $25,000 US — which CCM Hockey pledged to give her on Saturday.

Initially, the fact that it was given to Draisaitl was not sitting well with some hockey fans who pointed out Decker may be better able to use the cash when juxtaposed with the Oilers star's $9-million-per-year contract.

That spawned the hashtag #PayDecker

I didn't watch the skills comp, but I found this pretty cool. Great to see she got rewarded after a fan timed it. 

So it’s finally happened. Women’s Rights have come to the NHL and have hijacked your viewership’s revenue stream to promote social messages on your dollar. Maybe you’re fine with it and should quit reading now. 

The private enterprise of the NHL All Star skills competition has become a political messaging campaign of corporate virtue signalling, funded by fans. Amazing. 

Let’s not pretend to not remember the hockey wage-gap nontravercy from a few years back concerning the women’s hockey players earning a fraction of the male NHLers’ salaries. Keep your eye on the puck for the next manoeuvre. 

The NHL has already covered race and gender, but hasn’t explicitly covered sexual orientation/identity yet, nor has it covered religion. I suspect we will soon be further entertained by the NHL, politically, concerning such social issues.

Just remember that it’s your viewership which makes the whole experience possible; fans pay for this experience. 

All things being equal, with the involvement of celebrity, non NHL participants at All Star weekend, why not also drag up some ECHL or AHL speedsters for the competition too, as they are all relative property of the NHL teams and interests.

Those players likely won’t hold up in the speed-lap event either because they don’t suffer the same risks to earning capacity if they get hurt during the event. The same can be said for puck skills, etc.

Open the competition up beyond a gender filter, if it’s all about equal opportunity for individual, hockey-related skill; if the goal is to promote the game and other leagues, that is, if you buy the premise for those women players being there in the first place. 

Why does the NHL not take it all a step further and create a hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters, but co-ed, which should be just as easy to sell ... as the competition and its headlines have shown? You know why.

We watch and financially support the NHL because it’s extreme, brutal and exhibits the nature of masculinity in a way no other team sport can, though if the UFC ever decides to have a team sport element to it, as in brawls, the NHL might loose some revenue. 

If the NHL All Star skills competition can now include non-NHLers, why not invite YouTube sensations of all sorts, since it’s not hockey, just individual skills.

Instead of pandering to just women, why not open the door to the skills competition and let everyone in who has a chance at winning an event? This seems more equitable than gender-based inclusion, which looks just as much as virtue signalling that it should. In a way, the “bonus” money amplifies my claim for me. 

If the women players come away from this virtue signalling with an increased payday from an increase in their audience, then great, who doesn’t wish that for them, because we know don’t get profitable viewership and any publicity stunts like this might help their cause, but I doubt it will pry dollars away from actual NHL hockey fans. 

Maybe then the womens’ leagues could sell All Star weekends too and thus truly be equals, not charity cases who win bonus money because of gendered-up publicity optics, which seems the opposite of the spirit of Women’s Rights, IMO. 

I would actually love to see an nhl Harlem globetrotters. Maybe it can be a right of passage for the recently retired. Have them tour around and play bantam/midget level players and do entertaining things. Include the top tier women on the team too, I bet it would be a hoot.

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if little Johnny can play..... 

Johnny isn't 5'4, 140lbs.

If a woman player was good enough to play in the NHL she would be there. Teams want to win and the NHL would absolutely love that story. It's a physical impossibility to compete in an actual game unfortunately.

Archived