The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wonder why Toronto didn't push for a full 8 years.  Maybe Matthews wanted 5 so he could have a shot at the Cup then skip out of town and go home to Arizona to play for the Coyotes.

because Dubie would be fired if Matthews didn't report for the start of next season. AM had more leverage and he got exactly the deal he wanted. 

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wonder why Toronto didn't push for a full 8 years.  Maybe Matthews wanted 5 so he could have a shot at the Cup then skip out of town and go home to Arizona to play for the Coyotes.

That or Matthews wants a shot at being the highest paid player in the NHL. Which he has a very legit chance of being as he'll only be 27 when it's time for his next contract. 

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm willing to bet you answered your own question, although not necessarily Arizona.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

because Dubie would be fired if Matthews didn't report for the start of next season. AM had more leverage and he got exactly the deal he wanted. 

I suppose, but all that says is that Matthews isn't fully committed to Toronto.  So while Leafs fans are celebrating the signing, they should be more concerned by the fact that he wasn't willing to take on a max term contract.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Shorter term equals smaller cap hit since you aren’t buying prime UFA years.

The literally couldn’t have afforded an 8 year contract which would likely have been $12.5-13 million

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That or Matthews wants a shot at being the highest paid player in the NHL. Which he has a very legit chance of being as he'll only be 27 when it's time for his next contract. 

Maybe.  We'll see in half a decade.

Archived