The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I suppose, but all that says is that Matthews isn't fully committed to Toronto.  So while Leafs fans are celebrating the signing, they should be more concerned by the fact that he wasn't willing to take on a max term contract.

"we can and we will" :lol: Dubas should have just signed the cheques at that presser. 

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I suppose, but all that says is that Matthews isn't fully committed to Toronto.  So while Leafs fans are celebrating the signing, they should be more concerned by the fact that he wasn't willing to take on a max term contract.

Or the fact that Dumbas got bent over for the second contract in a row.

Just now, Provost said:

Shorter term equals smaller cap hit since you aren’t buying prime UFA years.

The literally couldn’t have afforded an 8 year contract which would likely have been $12.5-13 million

I've seen more players give discounts for long term commitments.  For example Jack Eichel.  And he's pulling GM duty on top of centering the top line! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Another reminder of why tanknation is a bad strategy.

You have just 2-3 years to win before everyone has to get paid and you can’t afford them.

But we just need to draft one more player! ………...oh wait...………..Just 2 more players! :lol:

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Looking at the cap situation, I have no idea how they expect to keep all of Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson after this season (all RFA). Gardiner and Hainsey are more than likely gone at the end of the year but that only frees up 7 million and leaves two holes on D. 

My prediction is Nylander will be traded before the start of next season.

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

yea better to build through FA then draft....:ph34r:

... or get a couple good players when you suck (organically, not purposefully)... then go for it by supplementing your roster.  You can get really good players in the middle of the first round, not just top lottery picks.

Tanking by trying to be terrible for several years and get a bunch of top 5 picks just isn’t practical.  Even if you happen to luck out in the lottery, you are overpaying for the first guys to stay before you are even close to being ready to compete.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

... or get a couple good players when you suck (organically, not purposefully)... then go for it by supplementing your roster.

Tanking by trying to be terrible for several years and get a bunch of top 5 picks just isn’t practical.  Even if you happen to luck out in the lottery, you are overpaying for the first guys to stay before you are even close to being ready to compete.

I don't get why people try to restrict building a team by 1 method only when teams are given multiple options to acquire players, especially in this Cap Era. Totally agree that you need good players from the draft but you also need the other players to fill out the 23+ man roster. If we only acquired from the draft would it then take approx. 23 years to build your team? :lol:…..Then, you would have a team similar to Edmonton?::D

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So the Leaves now have 7.5 mil in cap space left for next year + whatever it goes up by (3 mil at most). Enough for Marner, but that leaves nothing for Kapanen or any kind of d upgrades.  

I like it. Looks good on them. What are they going to do?:lol:

OK numbers fans here how it breaks down.

Leafs forwards are costing the Leafs $45.3 million next year

Leafs Defense is costing the Leafs $15 million

Leafs goaltending is costing the Leafs $5 million

For a total of $65 million for their NHL roster.

BUT!

That $65 million is only being made by 14 players.  They have 5 RFAs to renew contracts for.  2 of them will need sizeable increases in Kapanen and Marner.  Johnsson as well to a lesser degree.  Marner estimated $8.5 to $9.5 million and Kapanens current league average for production at $4.75 million meaning that the leafs will have $77-$78 million tied up on 16 players.  They also have a few UFA's to fill holes for.

There is literally no way, even WITH letting go of Nylander and Gardiner (zaitsev is useless and just a cap number for his production and nobody is trading for him) that they field any kind of credible team.  Expecting Liljegren and Sandin to come in and produce is also not happening 

They say the league is better when he Leafs are doing good, and arguably they are right

But I don't see any way, like at all the Leafs ice a competitive team outside of their top 5 forwards and Reilly and make it past the 2nd round let alone win a cup in the next 5 years with that kind of cap issue

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

14 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You may be right. It's like his contract is tailor made to be traded to Arizona or Ottawa:

How the hell is that not cap circumvention?  Something tells me they close this loophole next CBA or int he next 18 months.  Imagine of course Vancouver does this to Boeser/Pettersson and they Luongo Law the crap out of the Canucks for it

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I like it. Looks good on them. What are they going to do?:lol:

Ideally dump Zaitsev to someone. Convince Marleau to move? But that is going to cost them big time.

I suppose they can fake another LTIR situation? 

Archived