The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Tryamkin will be icing on the cake, after OJ and Hughes arrive, and if Woo keeps doing his thing and improving, then Woo will be the cherry on top....there's time for everything, just need patience because our time is coming (in one or two years)...what is happening now is a surprise, especially with the state of our "D"....Marky is standing tall.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, then they will face either the Sharks or the Flames....I'm hoping the Flames because they match up better against the Flames than the Sharks....and Vegas might beat the Sharks, where the Canucks will have a better chance against Vegas...imo.

...having said this, this year I would not be disappointed if they did not make the playoffs because winning the lottery would also be nice as well.

Each of those paragraphs describe a miracle scenario. :lol:

26 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Totally serious. Do you guys honestly think Erikson is better than Gagne?  The only reason Erikson is in the lineup over Gagne is because they aren't going to pay LE $7m to play in the minors. 

Except Eriksson is much better than Gagner to even suggest Gagner is a better option is laughable at best.

32 minutes ago, Canorth said:

I hate it when people use the term "generational" to describe excellent high level elite players. 

The term "generational".... to me, is  reserved for someone whose skill was is lightyears beyond anyone else in the league...  were rest of the players in the league actually have no tactical response...

Mario, Wayne, Bobby and honestly probably Jagr (props to Crosby and Ovechkin)...were wonders of the world.  These men didn't just dominate the league...they made it look like they needed a two levels higher to play ay. And won multiple cups. THAT is "generational".

Neither McDavid nor Mathews nor Petey have acomplished that.

IMO, Petey looks like a Crosby clone... with a better shot, different perspective and a taller frame to fillout. 

Just my opinion :)

“Hate” is a strong word. I respect your opinion, don’t share it...or hate it. My opinion is my own, it doesn’t need your validation. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. He's having some struggles with moving the puck. I hope he can tighten that up, but he also showed some simple and solid movement yesterday too. Sure he has that time in the third (I think?) when he was making more turnovers than a baker, but he still managed well. 

As mentioned before, take pay a big price for that type of presence on the ice the team hours into the dirty areas much more now, and pay off that is the resolve that a plate like Guddy gives a team. There's no stats to measure that. 

Tanev has been moving the puck more since paired with Gudbranson. His pass to Horvat was awesome. Guddy helped to keep that puck in, but most just hyoerfocus on his mistakes. Much like they did with Edler a few seasons back. I fully admit to doing that, but I learned my lesson. 

The entire blueline had a lot of trouble moving the puck last night - Biega, Tanev - actually everyone - served up possession various times inside their own blueline last night - some fans have blinders to that fact and pick their whipping boys to focus on, while whiffing on the reality that every single player on the roster makes mistakes that we could dwell on incessantly if we have that bent.  Boeser turns the puck over as much as anyone on this team - (so does EP btw) - is it something he can improve on?  Sure.  But are we going to overlook what else he brings for dwelling on every turnover?  Only a few of us lol....

Tanev and Pouliot lead the blueline in turnovers (at 32 each - which is actually not bad at all relatively when you look around the league).

Hutton is next with 23.

Edler is 4th highest at 22.

Gud is 5th with 21 turnovers - keeping in mind their roles - with Gud in principally hard/shutdown minutes, moving the puck under pressure.

But if you relied on GDTs you'd be under the impression that Pouliot and Gudbranson lead the league in giveaways.  Not even close.

30 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Totally serious. Do you guys honestly think Erikson is better than Gagne?  The only reason Erikson is in the lineup over Gagne is because they aren't going to pay LE $7m to play in the minors. 

Ha ha... I can’t even...:lol:

Loui plays a huge roll on our PK and is excellent defensively. He may not be producing much offensively but Gagner would be a massive downgrade. The guy has good skill and PP ability but that’s it. He is incredibly lazy with back checking and floats around 99% of the time.

He can stay in the center of the universe minor league for all I care. 

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is fairly simple to explain, management told fans he would be a top 4 dman that is why they traded a 1rst round pick (McCann), a second round pick and a fourth round pick at a time that the team had only one young forward, Horvat.

They maintained this stature and signed him to low end top 4 money, the most they had paid except for Tanev.

And yes they put him up as a top dman until last year when the story changed to how good he is in the "room" and how much Florida missed him.

Exactly. 

People will deny it but it's true that expectations have been tempered compared to what people were saying when he got here. 

Guddy's not a top 4 d-man, and he's shown it in his time here. It's telling that both Pouliot and Hutton have played better without him. It's also telling that the only way you can keep his head above water is by pairing him with one of our top-2 d-men. 

At the end of the day, even if one decides to conveniently ignore his stats, he doesn't even pass the eye test on most nights. It doesn't matter how fervently one defends him, his play on the ice is what really matters. 

33 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Apparently anyone who plays with him on defence has their stats go south.

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's telling that both Pouliot and Hutton have played better without him.

neither of you know what you're talking about wadr.

cool stories - but that's all these are.  if you have any 'evidence' fill your boots.  I won't be holding my breath.

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Tryamkin will be icing on the cake, after OJ and Hughes arrive, and if Woo keeps doing his thing and improving, then Woo will be the cherry on top....there's time for everything, just need patience because our time is coming (in one or two years)...what is happening now is a surprise, especially with the state of our "D"....Marky is standing tall.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, then they will face either the Sharks or the Flames....I'm hoping the Flames because they match up better against the Flames than the Sharks....and Vegas might beat the Sharks, where the Canucks will have a better chance against Vegas...imo.

...having said this, this year I would not be disappointed if they did not make the playoffs because winning the lottery would also be nice as well.

Hey I still am holding out for Smith once he fills out ;) :lol: really kidding here. Smith is the possible 2020 draft pick. :lol::towel:

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gud is 5th with 21 turnovers - keeping in mind their roles - with Gud in principally hard/shutdown minutes, moving the puck under pressure.

Guddy is regularly against the 3/4 line as a third pairing Dman, 1 - Tanev/Edler 2 - Hutton/Stecher 3 - ? that is why his minutes are so low, they have gone up since Edler's boo boo. 17.5 min for Guddy - 23.75 for Tanev.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yawn.   Another cool story/myth.

Heading into last night's game...

Edler has played 889 minutes this year.

Gud had played 938.

Tanev also turns the puck over with more frequency = 32 turnovers vs 21 - with only 112 more minutes this season than Gubranson.

Do the simple math as opposed to theGuardian shizz-goggles spin.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yawn.   Another cool story/myth.

Heading into last night's game...

Edler has played 889 minutes this year.

Gud had played 938.

Tanev also turns the puck over with more frequency = 32 turnovers vs 21 - with only 112 more minutes this season than Gubranson.

Do the simple math as opposed to theGuardian shizz-goggles spin.

You’re wasting your time honestly... people are going to hate players vehemently and spin whatever yarns they need to to fit their narrative. 

4 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Yes, I miss him terribly every night as I pray to the Gagne alter in my living room.

Seriously though, he should be in the lineup.

Just not a Travis type player. Saw him in UTICA and he did look very skilled and experienced out there. 

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i believed that we only had one top six winger in boeser, but i’m beginning to se signs that leivo could fill a top six role. 

roussel plays well, whatever line he plays on. 

we need another sniper and a playmaker. 

I havent given up on Jake as a top 6, but we definitely need another capable guy. That Boeser Petterson Leivo line has looked deadly, and been deadly. Bo needs a linemate.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

neither of you know what you're talking about wadr.

cool stories - but that's all these are.  if you have any 'evidence' fill your boots.  I won't be holding my breath.

I see you conveniently left out the ice time for the last game.

Guddy's stats, you can't find them? Your kidding right, did you get me hook line sinker?

3 yrs VAN NHL 133 games, 5 goals, 14 assists, 19 pts, minus 39, 123 pims, avg ice time 18:50/gm, 15 takeaways, 72 give aways

Ice time lower this year. 4 mil a year, 2nd highest without Edler.

Tanev avg this year - 20:39

Edler - 23:24

Hutton - 21:47

Stecher - 18:57

Guddy - 18:06

It's the 4 mil, same as Eriksson's 7 mil this year, posters/fans don't want to say Benning blew it so they blame the player for not being what they were told by management.

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I think the entire pp improves IF, someone on the back end can get the puck through to the net. All of these guys have their shots blocked going for the hard slap shot. Just get the damn thing through to the net with a simple wrister.

Juiolevvi next season?  

46 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except Eriksson is much better than Gagner to even suggest Gagner is a better option is laughable at best.

Totally agree.  If Eriksson and Gagner both made the same amount of salary, I'd take Eriksson 100/100 times.  Is Eriksson overpaid for what he brings, most definitely.  But if you can't see that Eriksson is a much more complete player than Gagner will ever be, well that's you just hating on the guy for making a lot more money than you and I will ever see.

Archived