The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Feb. 14, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

Gaudette was a beast. Unreal game. He's making Sutter expendable.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hockey Gaud's best game as a Canuck! Him, EP, Boeser and Marky were huge for us tonight.

Ugly third but a win is a win.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Great win...took a lot of guts, not to go down... Brilliant.

Gaudette has to stay...

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Hutton-Stech, 30 minutes each, even.

Guddy, 15 minutes, -3.

Just when everyone was giving up on the Canucks after another set of injuries, they come up with a character win. LA did have the edge in the game overall and outshot and outchanced the Canucks, but the Canucks played hard and kept the game close and were able to win in the shoot-out. Here are my impressions.

1. Three of the quotes above relate to Gaudette, who did have his best game yet, as Coconuts says. He is an example of guy who just seems to get better every game. Loved his game tonight. Gaudette is a genuine 200 ft player in that both his offensive skills and his defensive skills are good.  As others have said, I don't expect to see him back in Utica this year except for the playoffs if Utica is in and the Canucks are out.

2. There has been a lot of talk about Gaudette replacing Sutter. WIth another groin injury, for Sutter, there have to be concerns about his long run role. Sutter's greatest value to the team this year has been on the PK. The forward combo of Eriksson and Sutter was one of the best PK forward combos in the league in the time they were together. Gaudette can't replace that. Sutter also plays a lot of shutdown (but, in the data, not as well as Beagle). Gaudette is not ready to play shudown yet -- at least not at center. But Gaudette has better offensive instincts than Sutter or Beagle. I don't see either of those guys making the pass Gaudette made on Boeser's goal. And, down the road, Gaudette could play shutdown and Pk, just not yet. It was great to see Green's vote of confidence in Gaudette by putting him out in OT.

3. Hutton and Stecher had another big game, with 32 minutes for Stecher and 29 for Hutton. Nice to see Stecher get an assist on EP's goal. He deserved to get on the board tonight.

4. EP had another great game. I am putting this down at point 4 instead of at point 1 because it seems to happen every game. There are so many good things to say about him. Tonight we saw two completely different dimensions on his goal and his assist. On his goal we saw smart passing and a great shot. On his assist we saw his willingness to make physical, "greasy" plays. EP got into a puck with both Doughty and Kopitar at same time and was able to neutralize them, deflect the puck to Gaudette with his foot and create space for Gaudette. He outplayed Dougthy and Kopitar on the same play, and I have heard that those guys are pretty good players.

5. Marky also had another very good game.

6. I wanted to pay special attention to Brisebois and MacEwen tonight. I did not notice Brisebois a lot, partly because he only played 9 minutes. But for a defensive defenceman, not being noticed is a good thing (kind of like a cornerback in football -- if you don't get noticed it means the guy you are covering isn't doing much). When Brisebois did handle the puck I thought the he did pretty well. He was paired with Guddy. Guddy was on the ice for all three goals tonight. Guddy did not make bad plays on those goals, but he did not make good plays either. The problem is that he does not make enough good plays -- too many off target passes, late getting to the puck, losing situational awareness, etc. I appreciate Guddy's fight with Getzlaf against Anaheim and he contributed to the physical game tonight. I think it is valuable to have a D like Guddy (a big, strong, tough physical D who can play). But he really should be on the third pairing. Tonight the Canucks really had two third pairings with Stecher and Hutton carrying the load.

7. MacEwen had his moments tonight -- playing with energy. He has some offensive skill, and his size, toughness, and physical game are valuable. But he did struggle at times tonight and it is understandable that Green kept his minutes low (under 9 minutes). But I definitely see him as part of the solution, not part of the problem.

8. Great to have high skill go-to guys like EP and Boeser for the shootout.

9. I hope Virtanen is okay soon. Would love to see him back in there. With Guddy, MacEwen, Virtanen, Motte, Roussel, and Leivo all in the line-up, the Canucks would be "hard to play against".  They still desperately need Edler and Tanev back, but the team came up with a character win tonight. ,

A couple things that annoy me. Winning the face off in the offensive end and throwing it behind their net! That's what the other team was trying to do in the face off circle. It happened a couple of times. Note to coaches: If that's the play you draw up then try this, Lose the face off and rush the corner or behind the net.

As I have said since October Goldy is just to slow to be a threat at this level with his timidness!

The other thing that really annoy me is our defense skating it out of the zone when Petey and Brock are open! It really exposes Biega for his lack of talent. He needs to make that first pass quick to Petey and not cicle at the blue line! Might just help the other team set up a defensive scheme!

Horvat looks tired. Doesn’t have that pull away speed we saw in the first half of the season.

Boeser is way too lackadaisical with the puck. Combine that with his sub par skating, I’m worried about his upcoming contract and his actual worth besides scoring goals. You have to wonder about how much of a beneficiary he is of EP40. 

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

With Goldobin playing on Horvat's line, I'd almost be tempted to press box him and give Gaunce or Kero a recall.

I'd like to see what Gaunce would do with a mulligan at this point.

Horvat's line - along with Beagle's - might be able to provide a bit more opportunity for EP and Gaudette's - if they had a better two way forward on the other wing.

Goldobin just isn't finding a good fit.

I would agree with u that goldy right now is a waste of a body on the bench and that someone should be called up.   Anyone would contribute more than him.  He is not a NHL player.  

5 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Horvat looks tired. Doesn’t have that pull away speed we saw in the first half of the season.

Boeser is way too lackadaisical with the puck. Combine that with his sub par skating, I’m worried about his upcoming contract and his actual worth besides scoring goals. You have to wonder about how much of a beneficiary he is of EP40. 

It is probably due to high minute man every night for defensive zone faceoff while Beagle and Sutter were out early in the season.   I think that he is fatigued and his overall energy has dipped a little bit.   He will be fine and nothing to be concern about.  I think that he will improve his strength and conditioning over the summer to prepare for high minutes again unless depth has improved.   

6 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

He's still pissed they didn't pick up Chaput on waivers.

He should be.

Chaput would make them better.

They have lousy center depth - three of whom can't win a faceoff.

And just dealt Nate Thompson.

WD has another transition to bear the brunt of.

3 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Boeser needs to work on his skating this off season. If he can upgrade his first 3 strides, he can be a force. The kid is good, but needs to be more assertive and play within his skill set. The crap he’s trying to pull off does not work against NHL dmen. BB6 needs to watch some video with Daniel and Henrik with their 2 foot passes. With a rocket of a shot, BB6 needs to get to the open areas to shoot rather than be the play maker. His goal tonight is an example of going to the prime scoring zone and finishing. 

I would tread carefully if I were the coach/management when it comes to handling Goldobin. Isn’t he close with Tryamkin and talk regularly? No harm in letting him get top six minutes with these injuries if it means the possibility of Tryamkin coming back is greater.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gaudette has played 8 more games than Sutter.

Has gotten 25+% higher ozone starts.

Isn't recovering from a shoulder separation in-season....

And isn't playing the same role, period.

Liking Gaudette doesn't requre being dumb about Sutter.

Just be thankful Beagle is around to shoulder those 79.5%  dzone starts - and maybe don't expect as much out of Horvat as he too makes up for the loss of Sutter.

Horvat had 26 pts in 30 games when Sutter was out before.

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Boeser needs to work on his skating this off season. If he can upgrade his first 3 strides, he can be a force. The kid is good, but needs to be more assertive and play within his skill set. The crap he’s trying to pull off does not work against NHL dmen. BB6 needs to watch some video with Daniel and Henrik with their 2 foot passes. With a rocket of a shot, BB6 needs to get to the open areas to shoot rather than be the play maker. His goal tonight is an example of going to the prime scoring zone and finishing. 

Agree completely. Have noticed a number of times his over handling of the puck. He doesn’t have the shiftiness to deke past defenders and his clunky skating isn’t helping either. 

The play-off race in the west is a turtles race. Could it be because on any given night any team can beat any team. It might be harder now than ever for the mid pack teams to go on winning streaks. That being said. Looks like playing 5oo hockey could create a gap! Playing.2oo hockey keeps you in the race!

Archived