The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Panarin Interested in Vancouver

SuitnTie

On 5/30/2019 at 7:30 AM, BabychStache said:

Rags could add Kakko, Panarin, EK65 this off season and be a killer team.

i could see them signing both. 

And still find a way to be a mediocre team. Rags have been notorious for the big name signings and have nothing to show for it. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

And still find a way to be a mediocre team. Rags have been notorious for the big name signings and have nothing to show for it. 

EK will make a big difference to any team.  Parnarin is a winger.  He’s a very good player, but he’s not going to have the impact EK will.  

Im a no to Parnarin.  

Just now, Alflives said:

EK will make a big difference to any team.  Parnarin is a winger.  He’s a very good player, but he’s not going to have the impact EK will.  

Im a no to Parnarin.  

EK is a riskier signing IMO. Both are gonna command 10 mill plus. Panarin would probably be a PPG player with an emerging Petey for at least another 4 or 5 years. EK looks to be past his prime although would boost the D core tremendously. Problem is, defence isn’t his strong suit and the Canucks need guys that can play DEFENCE. Panarin over EK 10 times outta 10.

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Problem is, defence isn’t his strong suit and the Canucks need guys that can play DEFENCE. 

To be fair, we also need D who can create offense. We've been woefully lacking in that department through the rebuild (though Hughes and Juolevi should both, eventually,  help that).

As they say, the best defense is a good offense.

I think you push for Panarin and Karlsson because it is highly unlikely both will sign here.  Hopefully you get one.  

If Karlsson doesn’t sign:

1. Trade for Trouba 

or 

2. Trade for Ristolainen

or

3 Sign Myers

If Panarin doesn’t sign:

1. Sign Dzingel

or

2. Sign Ferland

or

3. Offer sheet Puljujarvi for 3 over 3 (2nd round pick)

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think you push for Panarin and Karlsson because it is highly unlikely both will sign here.  Hopefully you get one.  

1. Trade for Trouba 

or 

2. Trade for Ristolainen

or

3 Sign Myers

If Panarin doesn’t sign:

1. Sign Dzingel

or

2. Sign Ferland

or

3. Offer sheet Puljujarvi for 3 over 3 (2nd round pick)

IMO if neither signs, just stay the course. We are not in a position to add another anchor contract, at least not until LE is out. We are not in a position to give up what's needed in a traded for said players. Going from Panarin to Puljujarvi is useless, might as well just give Virtanen a go in the top 6 if it gets to that point.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Different pic on his verified account and it didn’t show up under his likes or feed.

Different spelling of his name “Artemiy

That is his current profile picture and latest IG post, and that is how his name is spelled on his verified account. He has the verified check mark that can't be faked.

artemiypanarin

236 posts

430,000 followers

Anyways, I hope we sign him. He should be our number one target in Free Agency.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

IMO if neither signs, just stay the course. We are not in a position to add another anchor contract, at least not until LE is out. We are not in a position to give up what's needed in a traded for said players. Going from Panarin to Puljujarvi is useless, might as well just give Virtanen a go in the top 6 if it gets to that point.

Definitely want to avoid anchor contracts but we need to show improvement for the sanity of the team psyche.  Myers I like but concerned that will be an anchor.  The others fit the age group of the rebuild so it should only aid in our improvement.  Puljujarvi is just a lotto ticket and much higher potential than a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

Either way Panarin and Karlsson put us in the equation now and the progressive drop to 2nd and 3rd options just aid in the progression but put us in the equation +1/2 years later.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Im a no to Parnarin.  

I hear you on a center and number one dman over a winger. Always take those over a winger. However, it was painfully obvious last year at times that EP needs a world class winger to play with. EP and Panarin could be deadly. They would need a tough winger or Burrows type to dig out pucks though.

• Like 1

Panarin would be such a great fit for us but not sure he would want to come here.

Would definitely complete that secondary scoring alongside Horvat and Pearson, and would give us some real threat on the powerplay.  Replace Boeser on the left half wall which could give us both a playmaking/shooting threat on both sides.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely want to avoid anchor contracts but we need to show improvement for the sanity of the team psyche.  Myers I like but concerned that will be an anchor.  The others fit the age group of the rebuild so it should only aid in our improvement.  Puljujarvi is just a lotto ticket and much higher potential than a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

Either way Panarin and Karlsson put us in the equation now and the progressive drop to 2nd and 3rd options just aid in the progression but put us in the equation +1/2 years later.

Dzingel's best year was last season with 56 points. He's pretty one dimensional and was playing this season mostly with motivated players in Duchene and Stone. When he joined Columbus, his numbers looked way more average. In comparison Ryan Spooner had a season of 41 points in 59 games which equates to Dzingel's best year over a full season and even though Spooner got a two year extension and fizzled out rather quickly. Not to say Dzingel would follow suit, but depending on his demands and the potential to bust makes him a high risk to be an anchor.

Ferland was looking for Tom Wilson money last I heard and he's suffered a concussion or two this year alone. His physical presence will be mitigated if he has concussion concerns. High risk of being an anchor.

Myers is likely the going to be overpaid once the EK sweepstakes are settled. I think Myers is a decent top 4 dman in a solid D group, but not sure if he's going to be worth his signing.

People have been very critical of acquiring Baertschi for a 2nd. When the trade happened Baertschi had put up 28 points in 66 NHL games and Puljujarvi has only 37 points in 139 games so far. Now I get that Puljujarvi has the size and speed that is very enticing, but to give up a 2nd could be very criticized. Puljujarvi needs to clear waivers, so we will be forced to use an NHL roster spot to develop him and we have a glut of forwards as it is already who likely would contribute more (at least in the short term in improving team psyche).

This team as is has trended up each year and you get the sense that the young guys enjoy the taste of winning. We need guys like Panarin and/or EK to move the needle. Having the risk of someone like another LE will do more damage to the team psyche and the team's future.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

People have been very critical of acquiring Baertschi for a 2nd. When the trade happened Baertschi had put up 28 points in 66 NHL games and Puljujarvi has only 37 points in 139 games so far. Now I get that Puljujarvi has the size and speed that is very enticing, but to give up a 2nd could be very criticized. Puljujarvi needs to clear waivers, so we will be forced to use an NHL roster spot to develop him and we have a glut of forwards as it is already who likely would contribute more (at least in the short term in improving team psyche).

This team as is has trended up each year and you get the sense that the young guys enjoy the taste of winning. We need guys like Panarin and/or EK to move the needle. Having the risk of someone like another LE will do more damage to the team psyche and the team's future.

Your points all stand however Poolparty was a 4th overall pick and Sven was a mid round 1st.  

People that criticize the 2nd for Sven trade are in the wrong.  

I would make that trade 8 out of 10 times. 

As for your last point, team has trended up slightly, and there is hope that with Hughes coming in, we will keep trending up.  Unfortunately we don’t have any

forwards coming in this year that will be pushing for spots other then Zack MacEwen.  

In my opinion, it is Imperial that we make the playoffs this year, even as an 8 seed that gets knocked out first round.  We have winners on our team and having them be losers for multiple seasons takes something out of them. 

19 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

1. Trade for Trouba 

or 

2. Trade for Ristolainen

or

3 Sign Myers

If Panarin doesn’t sign:

1. Sign Dzingel

or

2. Sign Ferland

or

3. Offer sheet Puljujarvi Kapanen for 3 over 3  4.2 over 4 (2nd round pick)

I'd make this #1 if we don't get Panarin

Understandable that some truly believe a player like Panarin wouldn`t ever play here. He's  astar and Vancouver hasn`t been a desired destination for over 10 years, maybe more. But, he might see what Vancouver is doing with their young players, prospects. The team the Canucks are building. Knowing he would play on a top line with Pettersson and Boeser would be a goal scorer's dream. Also, having a gifted player (Hughes) feeding him the puck all game. Green may also have a good reputation amongst the players. Big difference than being coached by Torts I'm sure. I guess it's possible Panarin was here to meet with the Canucks and to check out the Russian community, lifestyle, environment, homes, etc. ;)

The Canucks are close to being a playoff team next year IMO. With Panarin, they get in.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Your points all stand however Poolparty was a 4th overall pick and Sven was a mid round 1st.  

People that criticize the 2nd for Sven trade are in the wrong.  

I would make that trade 8 out of 10 times. 

As for your last point, team has trended up slightly, and there is hope that with Hughes coming in, we will keep trending up.  Unfortunately we don’t have any

forwards coming in this year that will be pushing for spots other then Zack MacEwen.  

In my opinion, it is Imperial that we make the playoffs this year, even as an 8 seed that gets knocked out first round.  We have winners on our team and having them be losers for multiple seasons takes something out of them. 

There have been plenty of top 5 picks that have fizzled to nothing. It doesn't really matter where they were previously drafted, but where they are currently to determine what they're worth in a trade. The point is Baertschi was more productive in less NHL games and just couldn't find his way onto the team full time for whatever reason why Puljujarvi has been given plenty of opportunity and hasn't embraced it yet. To be fair, I also believe those that don't think it was worth a 2nd for Baertschi are wrong too.

We may not have any incoming forwards just yet, but we have too many forwards as it is. Right now I actually have Gaudette on the outside looking in simply because of waiver eligibility and we may still have to put a forward or two on waivers barring some moves. This add to the Puljujarvi issue in that he would need waivers next season and we are unlikely to waive him meaning another player being pushed out (claimed or paying millions to play in the minors).

The team is trending up, but signing a Dzingel or Ferland has more anchor potential than pushing us into playoff territory IMO (depending on what they're willing to sign for). Panarin brings us to the playoffs, I don't see many others having that impact as confidently. We are more likely to see someone like Leivo or Virtanen blossom on our current team and it won't cost us likely an overpaid UFA.

I'd like to make the playoffs next year, but I'm perfectly fine as long as we continue to be battling a spot whether we make it or not. We simply don't want to be a bottom feeder again.