The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Maybe, myself and many others were happy to see him go. RHD have always been at a premium, Guddy had some good moments with FLA and his team mates were pissed to see him go. 

And it's a shame Guddy wasn't able to take that next big step in a Canucks uniform. Hopefully he does well in Pitts.

Can't say I ever saw him mail it in. He worked his butt off but it never clicked here, unfortunately.

Actually, he did have a few promising stints with Edler, I liked that pairing.

Oh well. All's well that ends well I suppose. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Not many teams have rough players or deterrents these days.

Who do Blackhawks have? Who do the Blues have really?

Does Carolina with Ferland count?

How about Dallas or Colorado the teams the Canucks are trying to beat out?

Coyotes? Nah.

Islanders have Martin,Czikas, and Clutterbuck probably the most deterrent 4th line in the league.

Sharks have Haley but he gets healthy scratched in the playoffs.

Vegas has Reaves and Carrier.

Like Schenn can fight and hit a little if it comes down to it.

I don't know maybe sign McQuaid in free agency...

Who is really out there that you are going to trade for or sign?

McQuaid would be just fine for a few years..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

We had enough of a sample size several years ago but it gets more clear by the day that Benning is not cut out to be an NHL GM.

A head scout? 100% he would be great. But when it comes to pretty much everything else, he doesn't know what he's doing.

If Pettersson wasn't the savior he looks to be, we'd be in a hell hole right now.

I'm not quite as down on him as you are, but I agree that it may be time for a change. It also worries me that so many guys seem to be unhappy in Utica. Dahlen may be a primadonna for handling things the way he did, but it's starting to look like it may be indicative of a larger problem. Dahlen wanted out, Palmu wanted out, Jasek, Lind and Gadj have all struggled, and it's been a while since a really significant difference maker has come out of our farm system. Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson basically all arrived NHL ready, while I can't really think of anyone that's gone through our farm system that's turned into a significant NHL player. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep, Benning just lied to his fan base and traded one of his “untouchables” (go back a year and listen to the guys he listed, Dahlen was one of them) for...gulp a guy that isn’t nearly as good as he was at 19.  I agree that management should consider making some trades with out futures to make the team better now, this move was NOT one of them. 

I'll forgive him for trading Dahlen, as it seems he was a problem (demanding an NHL callup despite not showing anyone that he was ready). What I don't forgive him for is not holding out and waiting for a better deal to present itself. Even if a better deal hadn't materialized, this deal would likely still be on the table in the offseason. If I'm San Jose I'm certainly not pulling this off of the table. Dahlen's camp didn't have any cards to play, so there was no real harm in waiting and trying to come up with something better. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Matheson ducked Horvat, what the hell makes you think he'd fight Gudbranson... :lol:

Guddy did nothing during the game that Petey got body slammed by matheson. That is what everyone has mentioned on here like 50 times. You just keep stating the same crap over and over referring to the game two months later when matheson ran away from every canuck that wanted to fight him.

Guddy should have dropped matheson during that same game Petey got body slammed. Guddy did nothing (and yes...no one else did anything either).  That is what many posters here keep typing but you are either purposely ignoring it or you simply do not understand it.  You have a certain narrative you are pushing and many here disagree with it completely.

Guddy did not "deter" matheson from body slamming Petey. Guddy did not "deter" that Fin on Montreal from slew footing Petey. Guddy did not "deter" anaheim from blind siding Virtanen and putting him on the IR.

This whole narrative of Guddy being some kind of "deterrant" is weak.

But I do think we still need more toughness on this team to actually respond to the above mentioned incidents during the game in which they occur.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

We get a Middle 6 winger for a bottom 6 D man.

I really liked Pearson in LA and at the time they had a deep forward team.

Here we dont have depth in that position especially with question mark on both Goldy and Baer, so he'll fit nicely as a 200' player with offensive upside.

Guddy was intimidating, the one thing that will really be missed. 

I predict Luke Schenn will step in for 800K / year and probably play a better defensive game.

Goes without saying that we will be signing a top 4 RD in the summer for 5M +  (or we better anyway) Jet Woo will not be ready for a couple years.

Edler - Tanev

Hughes- 5M+ RD 

Hutton- Stech

Juolevi- another signing

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So Geenious Jim makes one TDL deal, and it was to make the Canucks, a rebuilding team, smaller and less capable of matching up physically with those teams who have systematically used the Canucks as their bitch? 

The only thing this team had going for them, other than EP and some prospects, was that they were no longer being forced into prison sex by victimizing teams. I mean, it’s no secret the style I prefer for the Canucks, so for me this is terrible news. 

Of all things to addess on the roster and it had to involve removing the only guy who could effectively stand up for the smurfs.

I’ve made enough posts in the past that it should surprise nobody that I am not only underwhelmed by another dud of a TDL, but at the prospect of having to watch the Canucks without the only real toughness they had. Time will tell. 

Pearson, meh. Lots of meh. Awful trade for Guddy in the first place nets us a guy who is pretty much lost these days. I hope the home crowd cheers for this guy and show him a proper welcome. Let’s get this going. 

Here’s to hoping Pearson turns into a great Canuck! 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Guddy did nothing during the game that Petey got body slammed by matheson. That is what everyone has mentioned on here like 50 times. You just keep stating the same crap over and over referring to the game two months later when matheson ran away from every canuck that wanted to fight him.

Guddy should have dropped matheson during that same game Petey got body slammed. Guddy did nothing (and yes...no one else did anything either).  That is what many posters here keep typing but you are either purposely ignoring it or you simply do not understand it.  You have a certain narrative you are pushing and many here disagree with it completely.

And it was widely reported that they did not see what happened until after the game...

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'll forgive him for trading Dahlen, as it seems he was a problem (demanding an NHL callup despite not showing anyone that he was ready). What I don't forgive him for is not holding out and waiting for a better deal to present itself. Even if a better deal hadn't materialized, this deal would likely still be on the table in the offseason. If I'm San Jose I'm certainly not pulling this off of the table. Dahlen's camp didn't have any cards to play, so there was no real harm in waiting and trying to come up with something better. 

Absolutely.  Like the draft coming up.  If he had character issues teams are willing to look past that most of the time when your that skilled (which he is).   I’ve made an ass of myself a few times on this site bellyaching over some players he didn’t pick (Glass/Valardi) and I Hope this is one of those times..but I don’t think it is.

• Upvote 4

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Which is still pathetic, not have been watching in the first place lol 

Still burns me 

The puck was going the other way it happeened behind the play easy to miss what happened. The team responded the next game after seeing what happened and Matheson is a giant b***ch. 

• Cheers 1

Just went to HF Penguins board... they know what they are getting.

There is a hilarious video of a single game showing Gudbranson on the ice for several goals and just wandering aimlessly around in the highlights.

I honestly hope he does better there, because he seems like a solid guy, but can’t be anything but happy that he isn’t on our team.

Maybe Schenn will surprise and be an incremental improvement.  I would like to have him succeed as a depth 7/8 guy who you don’t mind having in the press box as his development won’t get affected.  You throw him in for injuries and if we are facing a team where we need some toughness.

This trade “should” be a signal that we are planning on retooling our D in a big way in the off-season.

• Upvote 2

kesler trade gets us  McCann  McCann gets us gudbranson ……….separately.....emerson etem(ducks) for carl hagelin(NYR)  emerson etem (nyr) to canucks for nick Jensen, emerson etem claimed (waivers ducks again )   now  hagelin (nov 2018 pittsburg) for pearson(LA)   pearson(pitt) for gudbranson.(McCann)   this is all keslers fault.... :P out of all these players that have this trade connection ,the canucks haven't tried  hagelin yet. McCann finds himself a penguin now...…...     theres also the hagelin/clendening/sutter connection to the canucks/penguins/ducks. gudbranson had an opportunity to be more than he turned out to be. pearson may have experienced the same thing sutter did in pittsburg behind a deeper forward squad,  add to that the same in LA? heres to hoping pearson takes more advantage of his opportunity than gudbranson did, which like leivo is doing ,I think pearson will.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Which is still pathetic, not have been watching in the first place lol 

Still burns me 

Me too

And to end up neutered by your coach between periods "because it's a close game"...

What in &^@#ing hell kind of $&!#.. Oh man. Old wounds.

I'm OK now I think.

• Upvote 2