The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

We lost our grit but we got another LW who has been bounced around trying to find his previous form. Gave up a decent price to get Guddy and now we traded him for a project who can hopefully find his game.

Good luck to both players, hopefully they both do well.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Schenn's lack of skating ability was heavily exaggerated, or at least seems that way.

Schenn also has crisp break out passes. His shot is also more accurate than Gudbranson's.

I think people owe Schenn a huge apology.

His passes alone make it a win. Only one game but nice to see those outlet passes made.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

i think in this instance, when they use the term “good friends”, it just means that they have the same first language. 

If tryamkin wants to come back to the nhl, for real, it wont be vancouver. He doesnt like the city and was very vocal about it. Nothing will change now that mary jane is legal. He didnt like that he had to work for ice time, and didnt understand when he needed to work on something to get that time. 

Keep the entitled off the team. Trade him when he does want to earn a real paycheck. 

Well maybe tell that to these other fans on here because in their mind they believe he's coming back to Vancouver in a heart beat or something 

Here's something that was mentioned last year.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. I am disappointed that Benning did not obtain draft picks in making these deals. The one thing the Benning regime has done quite well is drafting. Their record on trades (including trading for Guddy and Dahlen) is mediocre at best. Therefore, why not play to your strength and acquire more picks. I see no value in (maybe) adding to the scoring this season by picking up Pearson. 

2. Pearson's career trajectory is alarmingly similar to Spooner's. He was pretty good in his early 20s but, at age 26, he has had a poor year in Pitt after a disastrous start in LA. Most forwards peak at about age 26 or 27, but some guys decline sharply. This year (at age 26) he has 15 pts in 61 games for a 0.25 PPG -- which is about a 4th line level -- and he is -15. And his cap hit is 3.75 million. At this stage I think he looks like a "project".

3. Still, Guddy has really struggled over his three years in Vancouver and, by a number of measures, such as 5-on-5 goals against per 60 minutes, is among the worst in the NHL. So trading him for Pearson probably does improve the team. To some extent, Pitt and Vancouver are trading liabilities with the hope those guys can address immediate concerns. Pitt is desperate for help on the back end with its recent injuries and Vancouver is desperate for a scoring winger. It is not particularly likely that either problem gets solved but at least each team has a chance to solve a major problem.

4. However, I think it is reasonable to ask how Benning has handled his assets overall. In this case, Benning had a #24 overall pick, which turned into McCann. Benning then traded McCann and a high 2nd round pick and high 4th round pick for Guddy and a 5th round pick. And now he has acquired a guy who is struggling for Guddy. That sequence consists entirely of Benning decisions. We might say that McCann was not that great, but Benning was the guy who picked him. So Benning has transformed a #24 overall pick and a high 2nd round pick into a guy who is, at this stage, a project. 

5. Similarly, Benning traded Burroughs to Ottawa for Dahlen, who has now transformed into Linus Karlsson, a 3rd round pick who has not done nearly as well in the Alssvenskan as Dahlen did at the same age. So Burroughs have become a former third round pick who, let's face it, is a long shot to ever play in the NHL.  The one thing like is that the amateur scouts (i.e. Judd Brackett) apparently liked him in the draft, and Brackett has a good track record.

Whenever Benning makes a move, a majority of people on CDC are positive. And, of course, we all want to hope for the best and home bias is a strong effect. But I think that today's moves are probably no better then neutral overall and reflect past decisions that were not that great. 

Who the heck is going to give a draft pick for Gudbranson when you have to eat a four million cap hit for a guy that really isn’t an NHL defenceman.  He might have a value to a team extremely strong down the middle to help look after Gudbranson’s deficiencies.  If you watched Dahlen in the AHL, he is effective only from the blue line in - I also understand his agent asked for a trade - the guybhe’s Traded for is two year’s younger and still has an upside - I pretty much think we’ve seen Dahlen’s upside.  

As for Pearson, when you are trading an expensive boat anchor, you can’t expect to get a yacht in return.  Still, Pearson has 9 goals in 44 games with Pittsburg (after a miserable start with a miserable team that LA was at the beginning of the year) that’s better than a fourth line guy.

I have no issue of your analysis of the initial Gudbranson trade.  I didn’t like when we got him, and got to like him less and less each game.  We game up a lot to end up with a project.  But a 24th overall first rounder is still a risky pick - lose some, win some - Boeser.

Burrows was really at the end of the road - I was surprised we got much for him.  Looks like we got a guy Ottawa no longer wanted, for a guy unwilling to take the challenge of moving up a division in Sweden - as his linemate did. Apparently, his agent requested a trade out of Utica.  Now that might be a concern, because so did Palmu.  And I see Canuck prospects getting precious little ice time in Utica - Lind, Gadjovich come to mind.

If tonite is any example of what we are going to see, Schenn is a vast improvement over Gudbranson  (why was Schenn in the minors?).  Small sample, but Spooner looked good tonite - of corse, we were playing the Getzlaffless Ducks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

John Weisbrod on the trade:

"It's a bit of a setup piece for the summer, I think. Going forward we knew that we wanted to reconfigure our defence a bit. Sometimes you have plans to do that but if you have all your spots filled, you're adding a step."

"You gotta go find a guy you want, and you gotta find a deal to move a guy out. By being able to get this done with Guddy it opens a spot and makes the summer a one-step process for us and gives us more flexibility to go out and rebuild our D group."

"As far as the return piece, in the immediate, we have a bit of a top-six issue in terms of scoring, both with the injuries with Baertschi out, with Jake out... Tanner's a guy that a year ago was playing with Carter and Toffoli and scoring."

"He's a shoot-first guy, he's still a 26-year-old guy. LA as a group got off to a bad start and he's picked it up a bit since he's been in Pittsburgh. He's gonna get a real solid opportunity to perform here. He's gonna play with Bo or Pettersson."

"And he can shoot the puck and go to the net. He likes to stand around in front of the net which is something that we lack. I think it's some versatility going forward that he can play where he'll play for the rest of this season in the top six..."

"...and he's also a guy that's good in his own end and gets the puck out of the zone, and if he slots down going forward into a third line role he can do that too."

"The reason I felt real strongly that if we were going to make a move with Guddy it had to be now, is it's the one time of year where teams think 'We have a good team but we need some more toughness or some edge.'"

"I think it would have been harder in the summer when everyone's got a clean slate and they're not under the gun, not trying to prepare their team to go to battle. I felt with the particular player-type that Guddy was, this would have probably been our best opportunity."

"I don't know that it's a big sign for getting rid of guys with term left. In Pittsburgh's case, they had that game a few nights ago where they lose two D-men and they're hanging on... They were in desperation mode for defence, and that's part of what allowed it to happen."

"I guess I didn't have great personal expectations because when you go into the deadline picks are the currency, and we had made the decision we weren't going to be using picks, particularly in this year's draft that we're hosting."

"So any time you're going in trying to make trades, specifically strategic trades and you're not using picks, it's a difficult challenge. It's been a gruelling couple days even though it doesn't feel very dramatic in the end."

Man, I'm liking the answers Weisbrod is giving. Makes me feel very confident about the way they're thinking. His remarks on the Dahlen-Karlsson deal also seemed super sound IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Where is Oldnews?  He must be salty that his favourite player got traded and admitted that he played like crap for his tenure in Vancouver.

Maybe suspended?  Not like him to miss out on telling everyone how wrong they are.

Oldnews will probably change his tune and say that he never liked Gudbranson, and he loves the deal. 

He's had the same schtick for years. Him and stawns are the two funniest people on the board.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

The Guddy deal will free us up on the backend. 

We have

edler tanev

hutton stetcher

pouliot biega

sautner hughes

juolevi

Im probably missing one more but it actually helps us switch our backend

what if a karlsson would sign here?

we dont have to sign Edler right away either. He can do more without guddy and his 4 mil

2 hours ago, Northerneagle said:

Guddy was tough enough, just not mobile enough,

Pearson has 15 points in 61 games so far this year. Not quite the offensive juggernaut some claim he is.

Guess nuks are hoping for a reclamation project, as with spoonman