The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Better not complain if Gudbranson turns his game around and becomes a force in the playoffs. 

Would depend on if McCann keeps scoring as he has for the Pens.  Five goals in thirteen games.  And that’s not even considering the high 2nd round pick we gave up.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Would depend on if McCann keeps scoring as he has for the Pens.  Five goals in thirteen games.  And that’s not even considering the high 2nd round pick we gave up.

I wouldnt consider Rasmus asplund much of anything these days. He is a .36ppg forward in in AHL who turns 22 this year.

Florida seems to be the losers of this deal no matter what. Reminds me of the Ballard trade, he never turned out as good as we wanted but the other team got 2 4th liners for 2 years and nothing else.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Huh.  Baertschi, Virtanen, and Edler might wish to argue that.

Yeah maybe.... but I don’t think it’ll make them happier, he isn’t around next time the gloves needs to be dropped. 

Fair enough it didn’t work out for Gudbransson in Van city, but there is no denying that he could damce with the best of them. 

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

I wouldnt consider Rasmus asplund much of anything these days. He is a .36ppg forward in in AHL who turns 22 this year.

Still a bad trade (Ballard) regardless of how the assets turned out to be because they had real value at the time.  Much like if one trades all of ones picks and a given year and those picks turn out to be all busts.  We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guds has been brutal this year but it seems the Pens have the touch when acquiring players and having them improve. I guess having the best player in the world on your team helps. Yes McD. Syd is still the best. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Guds has been brutal this year but it seems the Pens have the touch when acquiring players and having them improve. I guess having the best player in the world on your team helps. Yes McD. Syd is still the best. 

What makes it especially irritating is that McCann also plays left wing (a spot we're kind of weak in).

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

So, you are saying he can't think and he can't skate at an NHL level?  I tend to agree.  He is a powerful icer of the puck though, there is that.

Agree away then, he can't think, can't skate ... but we haven't lucked out with such a quality face-puncher as Guddy, since the Donald.

Pearson better be all you guys hope he is.

Props to Schenn though, he subbed in Gud.

6 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Agree away then, he can't think, can't skate ... but we haven't lucked out with such a quality face-puncher as Guddy, since the Donald.

Pearson better be all you guys hope he is.

Props to Schenn though, he subbed in Gud.

“Pearson better be all you guys hope he is.”?

You are joking, right?

I never made any claims about Pearson, and anyway I never made the trade, nor the trade to acquire Gudbranson in the first place - a trade of which I disapproved.  For some strange reason the Canucks don’t consult me on their trades.  But still, as a fan, I am entitled to an opinion - if I am willing to support it.  First, we gave up far too much to acquire Gudbranson, even if measured by how little we got for him when we were finally able to move him.  Secondly, his play was so bad as measured by his underlying numbers (presented often by others on this site) that he became an addition by subtraction.  The fact that he might punch somebody in the face every twenty games is hardly made up for by what has to be endured in the other nineteen.

In addition, though Schenn had a good first game against Anaheim, we have yet to see how he plays against a high pace, high pressure team.  Tonight’s game may be very revealing in that regard.  I hope Schenn has another strong game.  As for Pearson, all we can do is hope that he reminds his game - an upgrade on LW would be a treat.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

“Pearson better be all you guys hope he is.”?

You are joking, right?

I never made any claims about Pearson, and anyway I never made the trade, nor the trade to acquire Gudbranson in the first place - a trade of which I disapproved.  For some strange reason the Canucks don’t consult me on their trades.  But still, as a fan, I am entitled to an opinion - if I am willing to support it.  First, we gave up far too much to acquire Gudbranson, even if measured by how little we got for him when we were finally able to move him.  Secondly, his play was so bad as measured by his underlying numbers (presented often by others on this site) that he became an addition by subtraction.  The fact that he might punch somebody in the face every twenty games is hardly made up for by what has to be endured in the other nineteen.

In addition, though Schenn had a good first game against Anaheim, we have yet to see how he plays against a high pace, high pressure team.  Tonight’s game may be very revealing in that regard.  I hope Schenn has another strong game.  As for Pearson, all we can do is hope that he reminds his game - an upgrade on LW would be a treat.

With Guddy Pitsburg got a guy who can neutralize Wilson.  They need that if they have any hope of going deep this year.  With Pearson, we get a guy who can play  north south game on the left side with playoff experience.  With better minutes and hopefully some chemistry he can get back a 20g guy.  

Both are needs for each club and both players needed a change.  

As for McCann.  5 goals in 13 games.  Okay, but not great.  

Could we use him, sure, but is he replaceable, yes.  Gaudette looks much better IMO and can also play left wing.  We have a lot of middling players like McCann atm.  Pearson at least has the cup winning background.  I seem remember LA squeaked into their first cup run as the 8th seed.  Not saying, but just saying..