The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On 4/15/2023 at 1:33 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Super happy to have the FA market time this off season focus on defence and depth at center.

Not blow a wad of dough on a 3rd line Center, but to build that position from within.

There is a player that is pretty good, solid and has the strength and timing to take draws.

He really doesn’t want to get traded and manages to put points every year, this year, sets a personal best for points and assists.

Brock needs to have a really focused off season.

Joshua and Karlsson with Sasson is a decent start.  

But if Brock really wants to stay, consider an audition at third line Center and see if he can drive a lines play from the middle.

I have seen him Vs Ep40 and Brock dominated the dot.

It’s a way to start some off season chat.  

lol.

Do you think Brock could solve our RHD problems? 

• Haha 2

On 4/15/2023 at 1:33 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Super happy to have the FA market time this off season focus on defence and depth at center.

Not blow a wad of dough on a 3rd line Center, but to build that position from within.

There is a player that is pretty good, solid and has the strength and timing to take draws.

He really doesn’t want to get traded and manages to put points every year, this year, sets a personal best for points and assists.

Brock needs to have a really focused off season.

Joshua and Karlsson with Sasson is a decent start.  

But if Brock really wants to stay, consider an audition at third line Center and see if he can drive a lines play from the middle.

I have seen him Vs Ep40 and Brock dominated the dot.

It’s a way to start some off season chat.  

lol.

Generally, centres need to be better than average skaters because they have to be 200 foot responsible players. Brock is a below average skater who is not particularly reliable defensively. Centres need to have strong backchecking proclivities - again, not Brock. I believe Brock has to become a reliable two-way winger before there is any consideration whatsoever about being moved to centre. We have a surfeit of right  wingers: if neither of Raty nor Sasson are ready, and Dries nor Aman do not appear to be that guy, then we could explore a trade for one, and maybe recover some cap space at the same time. 

On 5/2/2023 at 9:37 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Generally, centres need to be better than average skaters because they have to be 200 foot responsible players. Brock is a below average skater who is not particularly reliable defensively. Centres need to have strong backchecking proclivities - again, not Brock. I believe Brock has to become a reliable two-way winger before there is any consideration whatsoever about being moved to centre. We have a surfeit of right  wingers: if neither of Raty nor Sasson are ready, and Dries nor Aman do not appear to be that guy, then we could explore a trade for one, and maybe recover some cap space at the same time. 

I would argue the primary requirement in a Center is getting and maintaining possession of the puck.

Faceoffs are the biggest metric to take possession of the puck.

If Brock can learn to dominate the dot, he already has the skills to distribute the puck and is excellent at screening goalies and plays from the half dot in in the offensive zone and he can win puck battles when his anticipation is better than the speed of the other players.

My other main concern is can Brock be mid to med decent without the puck on the back check and who does he skate with.

He isn’t meant to be a shut down centre in my scheme.

He needs to play with two faster and better in the zones Brock isn’t and the be the beneficiaries of Brock’s commitment to the team, and his offensive puck distribution and net front presence.

Its a 6 million dollar contract and he has more to give than Galrand and he can win face offs against our top Center and 100 point player who plays often in the Right wing half wall, in the offensive zone when Brock goes to the front of the net.

It’s really hard to win the game if you lose over 50 % of the draws.

maybe that Brick that Brock is physically is actually an attribute in the dot, plus the shorter legs.

I can’t see his offensive game dropping off significantly and if it gives us a back up Center if who ever is our third this year goes down and or the team thinks a third line that plays a more in the Ozone than the second line.

I see getting back to the face off dominance that was the core strength of the Offence with Hank, Kesler, Manny and Lapiere.

Until the best face off team in the last ten years beat us in the finals, it looked unstoppable.

Phats.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:08 AM, TopChed said:

Do you think Brock could solve our RHD problems? 

He looks like a Fire Hydrant.  Only if he could slap the puck like Al Iafrate and or hit like Schenn.

No.

But I don’t think Hughes should be taking draws either.

and I am not saying Brock Should, but seeing a clip of him beating Petey in draws, and Petey is not a guy who likes being beat, gave me a spark of an idea to distract you all from whatever is currently on the local radio sports talk…

and if he can win draws, and that’s his primary Center Duty and then plays every other part of the game safe taking draws, like he is cured deployed, I see it as a possible way to shelter a younger Center up from the farm, exactly like Raty.

Who covers a lot of ice, plays a very smart defensive game and plays on the half wall in the offensive zone ala Petey.

Put a Podz or a Hogz and or a fast skater who is either a decent defender and needs more growth in offence like Podz and be a more defensive minded third line, and or Hogz like player and make Raty the primary first back player in the back check.

Any one can take the face off, it's simply a metter of changing your alignment at the dot. Years ago the Canucks used to have face off competitions. The guy that generally won was Curt Fraser (LW) for those that don't recall Fraser. When Miller and EP are on the same line it's often  Miller, the winger, that frequently step up and EP takes his place as a winger on the draw. It's not rocket science IMO

• Vintage 1

I was just browsing the Abby stats and dang, Impressed with Linus’s first year.  

I liked the puck protection and in tight plays he showed in development/training camp.  Hope he can keep taking steps in his development.  I see a Pearson like player in him.

43 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I was just browsing the Abby stats and dang, Impressed with Linus’s first year.  

I liked the puck protection and in tight plays he showed in development/training camp.  Hope he can keep taking steps in his development.  I see a Pearson like player in him.

Ye went to the young stars in Penticton. He and Aman where head n shoulders the most pro ready players. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The fact we have NHL ready depth in the AHL for the first time in forever is a really good thing.  Having a few guys slow cook a little longer down in Abby is a awesome.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ya it will be good to see kids competing for spots.

Hoglander, Karlsson and Hirose

Are the three I think might push some vets out of the lineup.

Hogs-Petey-Beauviller

Mikheyev-Miller(still hoping trade)-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Karlsson-Podz

Garland-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Schenn

Hirose-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hogs-Petey-Beauviller

Kuzmenko-Karlsson-Podz

Garland-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Schenn

Hirose-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

Tocchet said he wanted a centre who could "settle things down" and a good F/O guy. I dn't see either

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hogs-Petey-Beauviller

Kuzmenko-Karlsson-Podz

Garland-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Schenn

Hirose-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

I agree with you and no need to lose cap room on a "risk" we have the people to make the playoffs, I dont agree with Garland on the 4th but he is someone that can move anywhere on an injury.

I also agree with the comment to boost Martin's value by making him backup. I just would like to see OEL and Schenn both back on veteran contracts... we are paying OEL till 2031 so why not make him earn it too.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:48 PM, BCNate said:

The fact we have NHL ready depth in the AHL for the first time in forever is a really good thing.  Having a few guys slow cook a little longer down in Abby is a awesome.

Exactly why I thought we didnt need to get a cap anchor like OEL buyout. Can we keep all these guys in 4 years when they all want NHL contracts

However, I also understand how bad we needed cap room. for the exact same reason... to keep these guys. I just hope they dont spend all the cap space on bad contracts like they did with Erickkson, Myers.

I think this year there will be a 2 game stint for players to grab a spot.

We have many D and forwards so should be interesting.

I am for grabbing a 3C in a trade with a year or two contract.That gives Karlsson and Raty a good year or least tdl to be ready for the next year.Same with D men.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:03 PM, Kuzy said:

Dark horse for our bottom 6 next year, IMO

I only had the chance to watch a handful of Abby games last year. Do you think Linus has progressed enough defensively to play bottom 6 minutes. I also don't recall him killing penalties, which is something we really need. 

I really liked his skills, his speed looked better then previous viewings. To me he looks like someone we could call up for a top 6 spot if injuries happen, but wasn't sure if bottom 6 was in his future at least next year.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I only had the chance to watch a handful of Abby games last year. Do you think Linus has progressed enough defensively to play bottom 6 minutes. I also don't recall him killing penalties, which is something we really need. 

I really liked his skills, his speed looked better then previous viewings. To me he looks like someone we could call up for a top 6 spot if injuries happen, but wasn't sure if bottom 6 was in his future at least next year.

“An extremely smart and competitive player,” said Abbotsford general manager Ryan Johnson. “He kills penalties, plays on the power play and is on the last minute of the game — whether we're up or down a goal.”May 29, 2023

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1