The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Mar. 03, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, 1-d said:

I'd rather not see any more FA signings by this regime.  Most of the siginings so far have turned into nothing but balls of chains who are content with collecting paychecks.

Vets to lead the young players to playing the right way? Vets to protect the young players? Vets to carry a "winning culture"?  

Enough of the nonsense. What many of those free agets JB has signed to multi-year multi-million contracts are bringing on the ice right now, could be easily replicated by Utica callups and waiver wire pickups.

Benning is a very good scouter/amateur talent evaluator but there are many other shoes to fill as a GM. I'm not sold if he gets a passing grade on those areas.

Beagle and Roussel have been good signings.  Schaller hasn't.  

We need defensemen badly, and I don't see a resolution to this problem in our organization.  Hughes and Juolevi might make the NHL next year, or they may not.  OJ needs to first string a full healthy season together.  

We could lose Pouliot, Hutton and Biega off our current roster and I wouldn't bat an eye. 

8 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We could have dumped Edler like you said for a 1st & prospect, trade Tanev at the draft and go hard after Myers and Eric Karlsson. Its surprising what one move can do and make a chain train reaction of moves to give a team like the Canucks a complete face lift at least on defence. Loose all the dead weight  on offence and sign Panarin and the rebuild starts to look on track and pretty good

Why woukd Karllsson and Myers sign here? Really what are the chances Karlsson signs on a bottom 5 team in Canada. I would say somewhere between zero and 0.

Same Panarin. 

You're acting like there players would come here..  when there is absolutely no realistic chance of that happening...  

Myers will be overpaid..  why not just resign Edler.  

Like I said that 1st won't help for 5 years.. so that's that

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

We are going to be in a perpetual rebuild like Deadmonton at this point.

Seriously, this fanbase loves to laugh at the Oilers for inept management even though they have McDavid.

Now, we have a true superstar potential forward in Petey and a few young players and apparently it's enough to appease the fanbase. Like, it's as if this fanbase is becoming okay with mediocrity. We shouldn't expect perfection, either... but this is bad.

You weren't around earlier, when we were winning.   That's the same group of guys.

12 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

You can’t “convince a guy” to add more teams bro. Kesler made his choice, and I’m sure JB tried. Edler wouldn’t waive it has been well reported, we had offers. What’s JB supposed to do? Threaten his family?

Well he could have refused to trade him and made him sit.

Even of he did what would you get another 2nd rounder max?

I don't see how that would have changed the fortunes of this team. 

Can't keep going back 5 years blaming Keslers NTC for this team being the worst team in NHL over past 4 seasons..

21 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Disagree.

That would be awful.

As long as nobody is telling me that it’s ‘hindsight’ - that this would have been an awesome trade in a year or two, I don’t mind any disagreement with the suggestion because I fully understand the apprehension. 

14 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Look at Columbus Blue Jackets. They went all-in. Gave away their draft picks and will probably not make the playoffs. How stupid is that???

I'm really rooting for them to make the playoffs.  Watching them play jets right now.. 

Usually cheer for the Canadian team but I'm hoping CBJ beats jets today..   

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Well he could have refused to trade him and made him sit.

Even of he did what would you get another 2nd rounder max?

I don't see how that would have changed the fortunes of this team. 

Can't keep going back 5 years blaming Keslers NTC for this team being the worst team in NHL over past 4 seasons..

I’m not the one blaming the NTC I’m explaining to people who whine about “not getting anything back for Kes” or not “trading Edler” - that such criticisms are absurdly obtuse 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We could lose Pouliot, Hutton and Biega off our current roster and I wouldn't bat an eye. 

Eh?  One of those three hasn’t had that bad a season. One is a career AHLer used for call ups and the third, poo is trash.  With our nonexistent depth on the blueline, we can’t afford to lose Hutton.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You weren't around earlier, when we were winning.   That's the same group of guys.

You mean when we were .500 early in the season when we were getting outshot and pulling games out of god knows where? Everyone knew it was unsustainable.

.500 is winning these days.

LOL

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Why woukd Karllsson and Myers sign here? Really what are the chances Karlsson signs on a bottom 5 team in Canada. I would say somewhere between zero and 0.

Same Panarin. 

You're acting like there players would come here..  when there is absolutely no realistic chance of that happening...  

Myers will be overpaid..  why not just resign Edler.  

Like I said that 1st won't help for 5 years.. so that's that

You can hope right? Maybe Karlsson would like to play with the likes of Hughs or Pettesson( Rookie of the Year) and Brock, Myers isn't special or anything, comparable to Tanev make him a solid offer and Panarin has said he would only sign with TO or Vancouver if considering Canada so why not try? They are not stupid guys and would know like us adding these players would change our team in a massive way along with our young talent. Its funny you say that 1st won't do anything for 5 years? Have you heard of Brock or Elias? Didn't take them 5 years did it? You sure Benning can't do it again? Try to have a positive out look instead of negative one:sadno:

2 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

I’m not the one blaming the NTC I’m explaining to people who whine about “not getting anything back for Kes” or not “trading Edler” - that such criticisms are absurdly obtuse 

Oh ya i know..  I'm just pretty much agreeing with you on our convo..

Can't blame one trade for this team being a bottom 5 team.

For years now ppl have argued with me that this team woukd be a Cup contender in 2 or 3 years..  they were saying that 3 years ago..  

I've consistently said rebuilds take 7 to 10 years and given many examples over the years..  

I'm not terribly upset or surprised where this team is right now.. 

Hope we get another couple of really good picks this draft and keep building... long ways to go still. 

Just now, Sbriggs said:

You can hope right? Maybe Karlsson would like to play with the likes of Hughs or Pettesson( Rookie of the Year) and Brock, Myers isn't special or anything, comparable to Tanev make him a solid offer and Panarin has said he would only sign with TO or Vancouver if considering Canada so why not try? They are not stupid guys and would know like us adding these players would change our team in a massive way along with our young talent. Its funny you say that 1st won't do anything for 5 years? Have you heard of Brock or Elias? Didn't take them 5 years did it? You sure Benning can't do it again? Try to have a positive out look instead of negative one:sadno:

Panarin never said that.  

McKenzie speculated that Panarin would.. 

He's going to NY LA or Florida.

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I dont know how many players went, but when you have a day game, when your supposedly still grinding and fighting to get a wild card playoff spot do you really think it is a good idea to go out to an event the night before? I mean you have all off season starting in April till beginning of Sept to go see UFC fights or concerts etc.

The fight was over at 10pm our time, no way they are back at the hotel and sleeping within an hour likely closer to midnight. Not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game, but as a PROFESSIONAL athlete getting paid Millions or soon wanting a very $$$ contract in season outings the night before an early game should be an absolute NO shouldn't they be, or is that only more mandated for playoff time?

Yea, the only thing that I really question here is that it was a 1pm game.  What time would they have had to get up for such an early game?  Though the picture I saw included Marky and it definitely didn't affect his play. So who knows.

20 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Myers, Karlson, Panarin, and good luck keeping Petey, Boeser, Hughes and whomever we get this year when they need to re-sign dude. You think all the best UFAs are coming here for hometown discounts? Heard of the salary cap? 

First of all check the numbers we have over 20 mil and could easily loose another 20 mil with Edler Tanev sutter Sven and gralund being gone. Im not saying we for sure could sign all of them but we could try. We have up and coming super stars and player do want to play with them Im sure. Myers is easy and Panarin said he would consider Vancouver so have faith my friend

Bo looks done - he's carrying a heavy load - too many face offs, too many minutes some games

Actually the whole team looked like something the cat dragged in today. But this is hockey - and they are getting paid to play  but today was lacking in effort and intensity

But the kids are learning it's a hard grind and and gets harder as the season wears on. Good learning experience I believe

Just now, Sbriggs said:

First of all check the numbers we have over 20 mil and could easily loose another 20 mil with Edler Tanev sutter Sven and gralund being gone. Im not saying we for sure could sign all of them but we could try. We have up and coming super stars and player do want to play with them Im sure. Myers is easy and Panarin said he would consider Vancouver so have faith my friend

Myers would be a horrific signing. That's an instant regret contract. He will get around $7m on a long term deal. Big no thank you.

The real prize was Stone. That guy is a &^@#ing great player. Big congrats to LV for getting him.

But yeah, no one wants Sutter. This was reported at the TDL. His injuries and regression this year killed his value. No one would want Beagle, Schaller or Eriksson either. That's dead cap.

Archived