The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Mar. 03, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We didn't have the freedom to move Kesler out our hand were tied there but I'll agree with you on the rest. But injuries is not Benning fault and I could easily have seen us moving Tanev, Sutter Sven this deadline, but couldn't with the massive amount of injuries we've dealt with then maybe I wouldn't be so pissed that Edler is still here

Kesler gave 2 teams he'd be traded to.  Even if he gave 5 more teams what would we have gotten.... maybe another 2nd round pick?. Not like we were going to get too much more..  he's was UFA in one more year..

And if JB had played it better he might have been able to convince Kesler to expand his list.. he was a rookie GM. He did best he could with his limited experience and know how on how to handle the situation he was in.. 

Edler trade would have gotten a 1st plus prospect.. those pieces wouldn't help you for another 4 or 5 years when the pick is in the NHL and takes couple of years to learn the pro game.. 

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This is considered year 4 of the rebuild.  

It may feel like year 1 because hockey players take 2-3 years to make it into the NHL, unlike the NBA and NFL.  

That's why Benning has a big summer ahead of him.  Getting Hughes onto the team alone won't be enough.  We need a very strong free agent signing to help out. 

I'd rather not see any more FA signings by this regime.  Most of the siginings so far have turned into nothing but balls of chains who are content with collecting paychecks.

Vets to lead the young players to playing the right way? Vets to protect the young players? Vets to carry a "winning culture"?  

Enough of the nonsense. What many of those free agets JB has signed to multi-year multi-million contracts are bringing on the ice right now, could be easily replicated by Utica callups and waiver wire pickups.

Benning is a very good scouter/amateur talent evaluator but there are many other shoes to fill as a GM. I'm not sold if he gets a passing grade on those areas.

I didn’t watch the game but do see the usual bipolar reactions on cdc. We win, “we’re cup ready baybay!!” We lose “we suck suck suck suck gm, coaches, players suck suck suck clean house!!!”

having not watched I don’t know how bad it was BUT, our place in the standings MUST force JB to understand we need to move out some dead weight vets at the draft for picks, sign some mid age UFAs (26-28) and continue the rebuild. 

This team needs better everything other than goaltending and center ice. Ferland, Myers, Tryamkin, all need to be on JBs off-season shopping list. 

I have always liked JB but I’m worried he was thinking we were “almost there”... he needs to accept we’re really not. This isn’t because we don’t have Tanev and Sutter for Gods sake Jimmy

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Kesler gave 2 teams he'd be traded to.  Even if he gave 5 more teams what would we have gotten.... maybe another 2nd round pick?. Not like we were going to get too much more..  he's was UFA in one more year..

And if JB had played it better he might have been able to convince Kesler to expand his list.. he was a rookie GM. He did best he could with his limited experience and know how on how to handle the situation he was in.. 

Edler trade would have gotten a 1st plus prospect.. those pieces wouldn't help you for another 4 or 5 years when the pick is in the NHL and takes couple of years to learn the pro game.. 

We could have dumped Edler like you said for a 1st & prospect, trade Tanev at the draft and go hard after Myers and Eric Karlsson. Its surprising what one move can do and make a chain train reaction of moves to give a team like the Canucks a complete face lift at least on defence. Loose all the dead weight  on offence and sign Panarin and the rebuild starts to look on track and pretty good

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You can’t “convince a guy” to add more teams bro. Kesler made his choice, and I’m sure JB tried. Edler wouldn’t waive it has been well reported, we had offers. What’s JB supposed to do? Threaten his family?

22 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Canucks are going to benefit in the future from this experience at the end of the year. Young team on the way up needs to learn some tough lessons about what it takes to win down the stretch.  No worries. This is necessary and way better than being an old tired team that's losing. So all good my friends.

I feel like this too.  People losing their minds need to relax and understand that these are building blocks as well as litmus tests.

The guys looked/are likely gassed.  No denying our schedule is one of the most grueling and, when you add in the man hours lost to injury where others have had to fill the gaps, they just aren't lasting the season.  Rough, but it is what it is.  No excuses, because you do have to be durable and resilient to make it in this league. 

When they were playing with speed and skill, it was working.  Unfortunately, the guys are losing their edge as they peter out.  It's not just "big bad teams" beating them up though... Vegas has had a home stretch and a lesser schedule so, obviously, a lot more jump.   They're firing on all cylinders. Teams do run hot and cold...all of them at times.  But when we starting faltering, people hit the panic button. 

I think we under estimate the players who have been missing...even Jake, who is a feisty guy who can get under skin.  Tanev - we have a hard time getting out of our end without him.

I've been comparing our "man hours lost" to injury and it is quite glaring.  I even think the loss of Sven was fairly significant...he could generate chances out of nothing at times.

Chemistry often goes hand in hand with momentum and the guys just aren't clicking at the moment.  Aren't skating.  Just seem totally depleted.

I don't think they're trash, like some seem to.  I saw some great stuff earlier in the year from...the same guys.  It's there and worth building from.  Not a finished project, but keep  working on it.

I do hope that Petey finishes strong...see the frustration setting in with him and he deserves to be acknowledged by the league for his accomplishments.  So I'd like to see him do so.

Whatever.  That's my attitude toward it all.  We lose, get a pick and get back at it next year. 

This year's been fun for me and I'm seeing it through.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

A bunch were at the UFC event.

I dont know how many players went, but when you have a day game, when your supposedly still grinding and fighting to get a wild card playoff spot do you really think it is a good idea to go out to an event the night before? I mean you have all off season starting in April till beginning of Sept to go see UFC fights or concerts etc.

The fight was over at 10pm our time, no way they are back at the hotel and sleeping within an hour likely closer to midnight. Not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game, but as a PROFESSIONAL athlete getting paid Millions or soon wanting a very $$$ contract in season outings the night before an early game should be an absolute NO shouldn't they be, or is that only more mandated for playoff time?

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The kesler trade actually turned out okay asset wise. Bonino, great value 2c. McCann would be fourth in goals for us and is a great even strength player this year. If he had more PP time, who knows? 2nd rounder as well.

That was until we turned the assets into Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey, and nothing along with giving up even more assets to acquire two of those guys. 

Pro scouting is a failure under this regime! The only good defenseman we've acquired since 2014 has been Stecher. And that's because he wanted to go to his hometown lol

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We could have dumped Edler like you said for a 1st & prospect, trade Tanev at the draft and go hard after Myers and Eric Karlsson. Its surprising what one move can do and make a chain train reaction of moves to give a team like the Canucks a complete face lift at least on defence. Loose all the dead weight  on offence and sign Panarin and the rebuild starts to look on track and pretty good

Myers, Karlson, Panarin, and good luck keeping Petey, Boeser, Hughes and whomever we get this year when they need to re-sign dude. You think all the best UFAs are coming here for hometown discounts? Heard of the salary cap? 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like this too.  People losing their minds need to relax and understand that these are building blocks as well as litmus tests.

The guys looked/are likely gassed.  No denying our schedule is one of the most grueling and, when you add in the man hours lost to injury where others have had to fill the gaps, they just aren't lasting the season.  Rough, but it is what it is.  No excuses, because you do have to be durable and resilient to make it in this league. 

When they were playing with speed and skill, it was working.  Unfortunately, the guys are losing their edge as they peter out.  It's not just "big bad teams" beating them up though... Vegas has had a home stretch and a lesser schedule so, obviously, a lot more jump.   They're firing on all cylinders. Teams do run hot and cold...all of them at times.  But when we starting faltering, people hit the panic button. 

I think we under estimate the players who have been missing...even Jake, who is a feisty guy who can get under skin.  Tanev - we have a hard time getting out of our end without him.

I've been comparing our "man hours lost" to injury and it is quite glaring.  I even think the loss of Sven was fairly significant...he could generate chances out of nothing at times.

Chemistry often goes hand in hand with momentum and the guys just aren't clicking at the moment.  Aren't skating.  Just seem totally depleted.

I don't think they're trash, like some seem to.  I saw some great stuff earlier in the year from...the same guys.  It's there and worth building from.  Not a finished project, but keep  working on it.

I do hope that Petey finishes strong...see the frustration setting in with him and he deserves to be acknowledged by the league for his accomplishments.  So I'd like to see him do so.

Whatever.  That's my attitude toward it all.  We lose, get a pick and get back at it next year. 

This year's been fun for me and I'm seeing it through.

A lot of us just want to see an effort.  There was no effort today.  And hardly as of late.  So I am going to fire up the bitchmobile and stand on the gas pedal till she blows.  The excuses get old. Same old cliches.  Rebuild after 4 year slide.  Gillis left Benning nothing blah blah, this team is 95% Benning's now.  Getting pretty tired of whatever this 'system' is too.  I will still watch but I am not going to sugar coat anything.  Accolades when accolades are due.

35 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Im willing to give Benning one more year Make some trades at the Draft and Get rid of the Plugs.

He has acquired most of the plugs we have though. Time to buckle down and play hard ball with Edler and consider moving Hutton at the draft if a team makes a decent off for him. We have LHD we need more RHD

I think we burned out Horvat with the load he carried earlier in the season and we have kids who aren't used to the schedule.

However, this is the off season in which JB's feet will have to be held to the fire. We need an overhauled defence and some good UFA signings. Some of JB's UFA signings haven't been the best and he's let some of our guys get away, such as JD, Tram and I'm still concerned they could give up on Goldy, so it's time for him to step up. 

3 minutes ago, cookieeater55 said:

THE TEAM IS STILL REBUILDING 

WE DONT HAVE A BACKEND 

GUYS STOP OVER REACTING JEEZ 

BE PATIENT

WE SAW WHAT OUR TEAM IS CAPABLE OF !!!

We are going to be in a perpetual rebuild like Deadmonton at this point.

Seriously, this fanbase loves to laugh at the Oilers for inept management even though they have McDavid.

Now, we have a true superstar potential forward in Petey and a few young players and apparently it's enough to appease the fanbase. Like, it's as if this fanbase is becoming okay with mediocrity. We shouldn't expect perfection, either... but this is bad.

Archived