The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Mar. 03, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Ownership definitely is an issue, but when Linden "resigned", the reports were that he wanted to be patient and took issue with some of the UFA signings while Benning and ownership were on the other side of the fence.

Who Knows she said he said, I think Benning has done a better job since the departure of Linden but still has alot to learn and deserves more time, how much ?????

So a team that most thought would be near the bottom of the league is now in March slowly falling to the bottom of the league BUT up until late last week was still playing meaningful games with the amount of injuries we have and people are whining about how crappy this team is. Its a REBUILD folks - when we get gifted the number of 1st overalls or even top ten picks the Oilers have had and end up with two elite players like McDavid and Draisatl start complaining - until then give JB a chance to build a winner.

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

We are going to be in a perpetual rebuild like Deadmonton at this point.

Seriously, this fanbase loves to laugh at the Oilers for inept management even though they have McDavid.

Now, we have a true superstar potential forward in Petey and a few young players and apparently it's enough to appease the fanbase. Like, it's as if this fanbase is becoming okay with mediocrity. We shouldn't expect perfection, either... but this is bad.

A proper rebuild takes a lot of time. Remember that this team had a veteran-laden roster that made the playoffs back in 2015. That's not that long ago, considering most everyone from that team is now gone. 

Edmonton drafted 4 out of 6 first overall picks between 2010 and 2015. The fact that they are STILL one of the worst teams in the league is an embarrassment for the ages, across all professional sports. The Canucks are not even remotely close to that level of incompetence, so comparing the two teams is just a complete over-exaggeration. The Canucks have been actively "rebuilding" for about 3 years now and have a star young #1C, a star winger, arguably the best defense prospect in hockey and a prospect pool filled with strong upcoming talent. Pretty decent for a team that hasn't had a lottery ball come up there way yet. Pro scouting has been rough but they are starting to improve and it's only a matter of time until the youth injection is in full swing (insert Gaudette full-time, Hughes, Woo, MacEwen, possibly Madden all within the next 2 years).

Patience.   

2 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:
7 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

We definitely could have. 

Kesler is a piece of $&!# and I'm happy to see him be awful now.

But, that trade wasn't even bad. It's just the poor management of assets after that irks me.

OJ deceived us all. Even I had fallen for his ability. I was OK with the pick. I thought he'd fit in as a top four D. But at this point, I'm not sure he ends up being better than Pouliot. He has 0 compete level

Hard to compete when you’re injured bro. From everything I’ve read, at each next level, next step of hockey he’s taken, he’s taken a couple month adjustment period and then ended up being one of the team’s top D, both in Europe and then he AHL until he got hurt. That to me sounds like a lot of compete and excellent development. Not sure how an injury makes him “non compete” or a bust. Amazing the nonsense I read here. :picard:

The OJ thing is not exactly accurate, after being drafted he was not top 2 anymore his game declined to lower than undrafted players, he was a no show at the WJC, in Finland he ended up not being used for PK duties and was given extra PP time, in Utica it was the same, mostly PP time and he still had close to the worst +/- on the team.

2 years in junior, 1 year in Finland and 1 year AHL, 1 back surgery and 1 knee surgery, 0 NHL games. This is no longer a prospect, he is now a project.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Watch the games mate. Buy an AHL streaming pass. He looks soft to me. You're bringing up his injuries and assuming that's my reason for criticizing him - thus, creating a strawman.

He looks soft recouping in his condo? Interesting. I’ll trust Salo and Cull’s comments over your Cheeto finger expertise guy. “Straw man” the comment of people who can’t back up their views - that’s called an “ad hominem” attack son. 

29 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

I don’t think you’re considering our cap hit down the road when we need to re-sign Petey, Boeser, Hughes, this year’s draft pick etc. 

Like I said were loosing 20 mil  with dead weight and have 20 + mil . I think part of managing the cap is making sure we do not have too many No Trades so we can move $&!# around when needed.Hughs right now is still an unknown so we cannot say as far as his hit, but right now Brock is worth maybe 7 mil+-, Elias is going to be 10+ so we can afford a few more large deals like Panarin at 10+myers @ 7ish and maybe even Karlsson at 10+. Look at Chicago 4 large contracts, LA Many large contracts the key is to have flexibility when wanting to move them when the time comes

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The OJ thing is not exactly accurate, after being drafted he was not top 2 anymore his game declined to lower than undrafted players, he was a no show at the WJC, in Finland he ended up not being used for PK duties and was given extra PP time, in Utica it was the same, mostly PP time and he still had close to the worst +/- on the team.

2 years in junior, 1 year in Finland and 1 year AHL, 1 back surgery and 1 knee surgery, 0 NHL games. This is no longer a prospect, he is now a project.

Just wished we drafted Matthew Tkachuk now 

2 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

A proper rebuild takes a lot of time. Remember that this team had a veteran-laden roster that made the playoffs back in 2015. That's not that long ago, considering most everyone from that team is now gone. 

Edmonton drafted 4 out of 6 first overall picks between 2010 and 2015. The fact that they are STILL one of the worst teams in the league is an embarrassment for the ages, across all professional sports. The Canucks are not even remotely close to that level of incompetence, so comparing the two teams is just a complete over-exaggeration. The Canucks have been actively "rebuilding" for about 3 years now and have a star young #1C, a star winger, arguably the best defense prospect in hockey and a prospect pool filled with strong upcoming talent. Pretty decent for a team that hasn't had a lottery ball come up there way yet. Pro scouting has been rough but they are starting to improve and it's only a matter of time until the youth injection is in full swing (insert Gaudette full-time, Hughes, Woo, MacEwen, possibly Madden all within the next 2 years).

Patience.   

I appreciate the level-headed response.

Regarding the Oilers, your first point is correct. They've claimed rebuild since 2009 and have been a next level of inept. I'm not saying that we are already there, but we are on our way unless a change in direction. I just don't see the pro scouting improvement. I think it's as bad as it has ever been, to be honest. This is the Oilers 10th season since their perpetual rebuild started in 2009. They've made the playoffs once. Regardless, they looked to be on the up in year 7 if Mcdavid doesn't get injured, but finally ended up making it in year 8. Then Chiarelli squandered all their assets and made terrible moves.

Do you really see this team making the playoffs the next two years? I don't. That will likely be 1 playoff appearance in 8 years, with a team that was primarily built by the previous GM.

That group of prospects you listed, while definitely showing some good players who have shown good progression so far, is not some all-world group of talent that I can hitch my bandwagon to. Every year, you see posts about future lineups and it never ends up that way. Such an overwhelming amount of prospects fail, which is why scouting at the pro level is equally important.

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Personally, I would be interested to see what Hutton's agent wants for term and cap hit $. He would be a player I would entertain moving at the draft if a team came with a decent proposal.

This in large part would be in part with Edler staying a Canuck. But after Eddie we still have Hughes, Juolevi, Sautner on the left side. Yes none are quality NHL D yet, but we can sign a 1-2yr vet LHD to help fill the void.

Let Edler walk, trade Tanev and replace them with karlsson and Myers. Hutton has earned another year he has improved alot this season and lets see what we have in Hughs

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You didn’t seem to read what Salo said about him. You also didn’t watch his play in Utica (clearly) before he got hurt. He was playing very well for the last 10 games or so after a slow start. You identify where he’s played but not how he improved in each of his pro seasons. By the way he’s only played 18 games in the AHL so not sure how you call that a “season”. As for project, he’s 20 years old!! Lmao dude get a frighten grip, like seriously :sadno::picard:

oh and pp points don’t count towards +/- and that stat as most know is not the best indicator of defense as it’s a team stat. Regardless, he was -11 in 6 games then went -1 in the following 12. So I’d call that an improvement. 

4 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

He looks soft recouping in his condo? Interesting. I’ll trust Salo and Cull’s comments over your Cheeto finger expertise guy. “Straw man” the comment of people who can’t back up their views - that’s called an “ad hominem” attack son. 

Pretty sure I was referring to the games he played prior to injury, mate.

2 hours ago, combover said:

Solid effort from the tier 3 Vancouver team. 

Vegas could have scored more than Vancouver had shots. 

JB should add more vets there really helping “The process”.

So far spooner has done the impossible and actually looked like a down grade from gagme. 

Although he matched his ex bruins schaller and eriksdone for being worthless Throw the GM in that mix too. 

The list of non-saviours JB has brought in is getting long.  Just like throwing $&!# at the wall and hoping some sticks.

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Not the reason just a factor with ownership holding back the rebuild as well. Theres blame to go around but Benning is the least to blame as far as I am concerned

I really think either TG needs to employ a better system that compliments the skill of the players we have or he should go. All season long all we've heard from him is how the guys played a good game and if they continue to play like that they're going to win more often than lose. That says to me that they're playing to TG's system nearly perfectly and, guess what, it isn't working. Change the system or move on.  

I'm also not content with the constant line churning and how much TG rides his top guys. I think part of what we are seeing now from #40, 53, and 6 is the result of fatigue.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

If you were to post that, you’d be a negative Nancy. 

Its taken about 4 years for these posts to show up and not be stomped out by the cheerlead squad and the minus button. 

I’m cheering for the draft and EP, nothing else on this team. 

And there it is! The pathetic Benning hater finally exposes himself, after trying to convince me and others what an unbiased poster he is. :rolleyes:

Dumb posts like yours have been here for years. This is nothing new. But please, keep blaming the "cheerleaders" like you always do. Turns out, the real child here is you.

Archived